Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1970s

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess I should have waited for, Still Servant after all, but you can't blame me for trying!!! I updated the original post to reflect all 15 films!!!

For the record, even with all that film-making "Star Wars" or "The Godfather" are the likely winner with, "The Exorcist" and "Jaws" coming in 3rd and 4th but not necessarily in that order. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is a 60s movie. I double-checked early on. There was no way I would have let that go unnominated (and I won't when the 60s tournament rolls around.)
    If The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly doesn't win a 60's tournament, there is something seriously wrong.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if it really has the chance to win. Westerns aren't a favorite here even though the western is one of the genres mixed into The Dark Tower series. There wouldn't have even been nominations for two of John Wayne's best movies if I hadn't nominated them. In the 90s tournament, Unforgiven went out way too early in my opinion. So even though I don't know 60s movies well enough to call a favorite, I doubt it is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I know. I can drop 10-20 seriously great movies from the 1960s--just from Japan. But The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly hits all the right points, from plot, to casting, to soundtrack, to epicness, to Tuco running through the graveyard--I could watch it once a month for the rest of my life and not get tired of it.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Its also a favorite of mine. It is one of the very few sixties movies I own. Hell, Clint Eastwood westerns are the reason I bought and played the original Dead Red game (Revolver) and continue to play those games even though I'm not much of a "gamer."

Just based on the sheer volume of Westerns in the 60s there will be a lot in the tournament but something like Psycho or 2001: Space Odyssey will likely win. BTW, I just glanced at a list of 60s movies and after the top level there is a lot of schlock.

Country
    Country Flag

To bring this back to the 70s, I didn't know that there was an actual movie called Schlock (in 1973.) Its sounds terrible and I am not 100% sure if it is intentionally a spoof of schlock movies or not.

Also, I am surprised Vanishing Point didn't make the 70s list.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Clint Eastwood in coordination with Don Siegel dominated the 70's.
    I wonder how many movies Eastwood is staring in this tournament. Seemed like a LOT! (and he deserved it)
    I'm hoping Still Servant, as always, will delight us with his amazing actor research soon enough.
    I will definitely be working on that! I think it's really interesting how Eastwood was tied for the most directed films. As I've said before, when you consider him as an actor and a director he might just be having the greatest Hollywood career of all time.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if it really has the chance to win. Westerns aren't a favorite here even though the western is one of the genres mixed into The Dark Tower series. There wouldn't have even been nominations for two of John Wayne's best movies if I hadn't nominated them. In the 90s tournament, Unforgiven went out way too early in my opinion. So even though I don't know 60s movies well enough to call a favorite, I doubt it is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
    I love Westerns. I grew up watching John Wayne Westerns with my dad and grandfather. As I got older, I caught stuff like Wild Bunch and the Eastwood westerns and I realized how cheesy most of Wayne's westerns really were. I'm surprised there aren't more Western fans here.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    How can I not second

Godzilla vs Hedorah

seconded!!

sk
    Oops.....

sk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I love Westerns. I grew up watching John Wayne Westerns with my dad and grandfather. As I got older, I caught stuff like Wild Bunch and the Eastwood westerns and I realized how cheesy most of Wayne's westerns really were. I'm surprised there aren't more Western fans here.
    FWIW I like Westerns. Especially good ones like, Eastwood has always delivered.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for getting this going Mae - I had been waiting to revisit the 70s. The list of films brings back a lot of memories. Such great decade of originality. Here are some of the ones that I had that never got to the nomination board...

Day of the Dolphin - another political thriller with George C. Scott, and an early Mike Nichols film
    The Laughing Policeman - police procedural staring Walter Matthau, Bruce Dern, and Louis Gossett Jr.
    The Anderson Tapes - another political thriller starring Sean Connery with Sidney Lumet directing
    Freebie and the Bean - the first time my parents took me to an 'R' rated film, a buddy cop film starring Alan Arkin and James Cann
    Beneath the Planet of the Apes - a worthy sequel to my favorite 1960s film
    Sugarland Express - Steven Spielberg's first theatrical feature film
    Swashbuckler - a really guilty pleasure starring Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones, Peter Boyle, and Genevive Bujold,
    It's Alive - scared the crap out of me at the age of 10
    The Three Muskateers - starring Charlton Heston, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Micheal York, Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway, and Raquel Welch (wow, what a cast) - the sequel was pretty good too

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nobody nominated Get Carter!?! How is that possible? I can't believe I left it off my list.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Johnny Got His Gun
    Release Date: 1971
    Director: Dalton Trumbo

Watch Trailer
    The only reason I know this movie exists...

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I plan to watch the top 30-50 (time and my streaming services depending). I will also watch some along the way.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I plan to watch the top 30-50 (time and my streaming services depending). I will also watch some along the way.
    I'm really happy to hear that! Some of the more lesser known movies will likely fall off early, but if you like horror movies, the 1970s had some amazingly inventive ones!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I'm really happy to hear that! Some of the more lesser known movies will likely fall off early, but if you like horror movies, the 1970s had some amazingly inventive ones!
    Fortunately or unfortunately I viewed most of these films as they came out originally. lol It is a great decade for films for sure!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope my nomination wins!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"Freebie and the Bean "

Oh I FORGOT about this one!
    Thanks for nominating it!!

EDIT: Seconded.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well, I guess I should have waited for, Still Servant after all, but you can't blame me for trying!!! I updated the original post to reflect all 15 films!!!

For the record, even with all that film-making "Star Wars" or "The Godfather" are the likely winner with, "The Exorcist" and "Jaws" coming in 3rd and 4th but not necessarily in that order. lol
    The Final will be Alien vs either The Godfather or Godfather Part II.

The Exorcist will fall in the Semi-final along with one of the Godfather films.

The following will fall at the Quarter-final stage:

Jaws
    Star Wars
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Taxi Driver

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, we missed you, T-Dogz! You're usually on top of this. Hope you see most of your picks on the list.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

The Final will be Alien vs either The Godfather or Godfather Part II.

The Exorcist will fall in the Semi-final along with one of the Godfather films.

The following will fall at the Quarter-final stage:

Jaws
    Star Wars
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Taxi Driver
    I really hope StarWars wins... BUT I know it won't That and Jaws is my second.. then Rocky for my third.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Godfather>>>>>>>>

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, we missed you, T-Dogz! You're usually on top of this. Hope you see most of your picks on the list.
    I have had to pull some ridiculous hours at work lately, which has left me unable to visit the site as much as I would like.

I was absolutely gutted to find out that I missed out on the entire nomination process for this tournament, as I had been looking forward to the 70s since the very beginning.

Had I been able to participate, these would have been my top ten nominations in order of priority:

1. Alien
    2. The Godfather
    3. The Godfather Part II
    4. The Exorcist
    5. Jaws
    6. Taxi Driver
    7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    9. Rocky
    10. Serpico

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I have had to pull some ridiculous hours at work lately, which has left me unable to visit the site as much as I would like.

I was absolutely gutted to find out that I missed out on the entire nomination process for this tournament, as I had been looking forward to the 70s since the very beginning.

Had I been able to participate, these would have been my top ten nominations in order of priority:

1. Alien
    2. The Godfather
    3. The Godfather Part II
    4. The Exorcist
    5. Jaws
    6. Taxi Driver
    7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    9. Rocky
    10. Serpico
    That's an awesome list and really hard to argue with any of them, so I won't. And I think most, if not all were seconded so they should be in the compition.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a LOT of 70s movies to watch.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 LastLast