Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1970s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Day of the Locust (1975)
    John Schlesinger

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I’m 44. There isn’t many films I like from the 70’s... that I have seen BUT as I stated. I’m going to watch some of the big guns here that I missed.
    That's great, and thankfully a lot of the movies on our list are streaming on the usual services.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen this one yet, but I've been wanting to watch it forever and finally picked it up on laserdisc recently. I feel comfortable seconding it even though I haven't seen it because I know I will likely enjoy it.

Rolling Thunder
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I haven't seen this one yet, but I've been wanting to watch it forever and finally picked it up on laserdisc recently. I feel comfortable seconding it even though I haven't seen it because I know I will likely enjoy it.

Rolling Thunder
    Whew! I nominated it long ago. It was #1 on the unseconded list for a long time.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second The Seven-Ups.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was born in 1968 and there were a few films that imprinted on me from the '70s. Kid-friendly stuff, of course. Young Frankenstein, Close Encounters, the Pink Panther films, Star Wars. But it was really the '80s, starting with Raiders of the Lost Ark, where movies hit my formative years I guess.

A few of the late '70s films I found as a teen, during the 1 month out of the year where I had access to HBO and Cinemax (Dad's house). Stuff I wasn't allowed to watch at home (Mom's house), like Death Race 2000 and other "R" features.

But as an adult, I've gone back to watch a lot of '70s movies and surely do appreciate the originality and complexity of many of them.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate In the Realm of the Senses (1976)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-o8EKjXJPQ

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Rolling Thunder
    Whew! I nominated it long ago. It was #1 on the unseconded list for a long time.
    Yeah, I kept watching it waiting for someone to second it. I felt weird because I haven't seen it, but I would have been bummed if it didn't get in.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    All That Jazz (1979)
    Bob Fosse

Watch trailer:
    Second

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was born in 1960, so the 70's were my early imprint period.
    I went to a lot of movies with my parents in my preteens. They were liberal and not well to do so most movies were the drive ins, including being snuck in to Fritz the Cat. My early teens we got cable, and ground breaking at the time...HBO!
    At 16 I had a well paying job, and a car. I'd go to 3 or 4 drive in movies a week. Great place to drink and toke.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I was born in 1968 and there were a few films that imprinted on me from the '70s. Kid-friendly stuff, of course. Young Frankenstein, Close Encounters, the Pink Panther films, Star Wars. But it was really the '80s, starting with Raiders of the Lost Ark, where movies hit my formative years I guess.

A few of the late '70s films I found as a teen, during the 1 month out of the year where I had access to HBO and Cinemax (Dad's house). Stuff I wasn't allowed to watch at home (Mom's house), like Death Race 2000 and other "R" features.

But as an adult, I've gone back to watch a lot of '70s movies and surely do appreciate the originality and complexity of many of them.
    I agree with your note on "originality and complexity." One person noted earlier in the process how they had seen so many remakes of movies that were being nominated - there's your originality. One thing I am noticing in looking at the 1970s through the nomination process is how male dominated the films 1970s are. This is the era of the male movie star.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second the very gentle performances of John Denver, George Burns, Carl Reiner, and Teri Garr in Oh, God! - loved it as a kid!

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1970s

I nominate Buck Rogers in the 25th century 1979

https://youtu.be/pAadQv-AL0Q

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will offer up another thriller starring Gregory Peck and Laurence Olivier that gave me goosebumps when I realized what it was all about.

Film: The Boys from Brazil
    Director: Franklin J. Schaffner
    Year: 1978

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    One thing I am noticing in looking at the 1970s through the nomination process is how male dominated the films 1970s are. This is the era of the male movie star.
    That is very true. Later decades, especially the more recent years, will have more diversity, which is great, but what the '70s lack in representation, I believe they make up in style and creativity. There were very few movies directed by women in the '70s, I did nominate some and have one or two more, but I understand they're not very well known.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    One thing I am noticing in looking at the 1970s through the nomination process is how male dominated the films 1970s are. This is the era of the male movie star.
    That is very true. Later decades, especially the more recent years, will have more diversity, which is great, but what the '70s lack in representation, I believe they make up in style and creativity. There were very few movies directed by women in the '70s, I did nominate some and have one or two more, but I understand they're not very well known.
    Yes, and I should have added that it was dominated by white males. Another realization comes about from the many thrillers and political thrillers I, and others, have nominated. What a decade for them. I am confident it's this very premise that is responsible for my belief that Captain American: The Winder Soldier is the best of the Marvel movies. It owes so much to the 1970s.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, as I mentioned, the '70s were before my time, but obviously I have learned about the political climate as much as I could through movies and documentaries and school and just I guess osmosis, and it does seem that this decade was especially politically charged, which makes sense, given Watergate.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second The Boys From Brazil.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A small plead for someone to second Lenny. It's a bio-documentary movie starring Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce-think Richard Pryor before there was a Richard Pryor.

"Controversial comedian Lenny Bruce (Dustin Hoffman) begins his career telling bad jokes to bored audiences in the 1950s, but can't repress his desire to unleash edgier material. When he does, he begins a one-man campaign to break down social hypocrisy, and his groundbreaking stage act propels him to cult-hero status. When authorities ban Lenny's act for obscenity, he begins a downward spiral of drugs, sex and debt, aided by his bombshell wife, a stripper named Honey (Valerie Perrine)."

Country
    Country Flag

Sadly, I know it's a great movie, but one I haven't seen yet. It's unfortunately also not streaming anywhere.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I really want folks to see Wake in Fright if they can.

Woefully short on Westerns and be damned if Altman wasn't great at nearly every genre so...

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

And looking at the list, I don't think we'll have another list of such diverse, in terms of plot or substance, films from another decade. The 70s was a weird, weird time for cinema. And no fans of Dr. Phibes? Really? It's so good and strange!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised this one hasn't been nominated yet. Especially with a fairly recent and fairly popular remake.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
    Joseph Sargent

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Rescuers
    John Lounsbery, Wolfgang Reitherman, Art Stevens

Edit: Sorry to keep adding but I just read this was the first Disney animation to get a sequel.

This is the last cartoon I'll nominate, I promise. After looking over the lists, there really wasn't that much good animation in the 70s, unless you are really into Winnie-the-Pooh, Dr. Seuss, or Charlie Brown.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised this one hasn't been nominated yet. Especially with a fairly recent and fairly popular remake.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
    Joseph Sargent

This one was next on my list, but I will have to second Lenny, which is the first biopic I can remember seeing. It solidified Hoffman on my list of actors to watch.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate another guilty pleasure, this time a WW2 piece. Imagine a cast of Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Carl Weathers, and a hot Barbara Bach chewing up the screen.

Film: Force 10 From Navarone
    Director: Guy Hamilton
    Year: 1978

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast