Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1970s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I second Silver Streak.
    That's 196 seconded films. We have 60 spots remaining.
    Grrr...I got in late and I still have some really great films to nominate. The list of films so far only reinforces, for me at least, that this is the best decade of film of all time.
    Would anyone be opposed to reducing the waiting period of four for Doc and lower it to two, as an exception?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Or, just pop his top 5 on us in one go? I'll keep nominating what I think are worthwhile films, but I certainly don't want to block out anyone else's perspective.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Silver Streak.
    Grrr...I got in late and I still have some really great films to nominate. The list of films so far only reinforces, for me at least, that this is the best decade of film of all time.
    Would anyone be opposed to reducing the waiting period of four for Doc and lower it to two, as an exception?

I'm not opposed to the exception.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The boss has spoken. Doc, please feel free to nominate movies with a waiting period of two! For everyone else, it's still four.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I second Silver Streak.
    No problem with me.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I changed my mind. I like divemasters idea. Have Doc nominate up to 5 films in one post (they still need to be seconded), then he goes back to the standard nomination rules.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I changed my mind. I like divemasters idea. Have Doc nominate up to 5 films in one post (they still need to be seconded), then he goes back to the standard nomination rules.
    Agreed. It’s important to him so I’m A 1 with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Works for me!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You are a great bunch. I will go with some of my best. They won't win it all, but most deserve to be in the running. Well here goes...I hope there are no duplicates:

First up is a brilliant political thriller featuring a fine performances by Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, and Max Von Sydow under the watchful eye of a masterful director

Film: Three Days of the Condor
    Director: Sydney Pollack
    Year: 1975

Spoiler:

Next up is another political thriller that got me to appreciate the brilliance of Warren Beatty, again under the watchful eye of another brilliant director

Film: The Parallax View
    Director: Alan J. Pakula
    Year: 1974

Spoiler:

For my third selection I will go with the bastard child of The French Connection films that first introduced me to Roy Schieder - one of the best car chase scenes on film.

Film: The Seven Ups
    Director: Philip D'Antoni
    Year: 1973

Spoiler:

There has not been a lot of love for the rom-coms of the 70s, but this Ryan Oneal, a young and beautiful Barbara Streisand (my second screen crush - my first comes in a certain 1960s dinosaur movie), and Madeline Kahn comedy was one of my first introductions to the genre. With a screenplay by Buck Henry and directed by another great.

Film: What's Up Doc?
    Director: Peter Bogdanovich
    Year: 1972

Spoiler:

Lastly, I will go with a Bond film that has surprisingly gone unnoticed. Sean Connery deserves to be here, along with Charles Gray's turn as Blofeld,

Film: Diamonds are Forever
    Director: Guy Hamilton
    Year: 1971

Spoiler:

PHEW - that was fun. Thanks for indulging. Feel free to second any, none, all...that's the fun of this. I will now fall in line like all the others. I still have some goodies.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and I will second the guilty pleasure - Kelly's Heroes, if only for Telly Savalas and Don Rickles on film - what a great duo!

Country
    Country Flag

All That Jazz (1979)
    Bob Fosse

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Parallax View.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Oh, God! (1977)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate The Mechanic
    Director: Michael Winner

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Diamonds are Forever.

Country
    Country Flag

I second Three Days of the Condor.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We've had a bunch of tournaments but this one is really interesting because I'm noticing quite a few posters that seem to really identify with the 70s. That's pretty cool. You can kind of see when people grew up by how passionate they are about a particular decade.

I nominate another Lumet film. I'm surprised it hasn't been nominated yet.

Murder on the Orient Express
    Sidney Lumet

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    We've had a bunch of tournaments but this one is really interesting because I'm noticing quite a few posters that seem to really identify with the 70s. That's pretty cool. You can kind of see when people grew up by how passionate they are about a particular decade.
    I do believe that the 1970s was an amazing decade of film. Was it the best? Arguably, yes.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I do believe that the 1970s was an amazing decade of film. Was it the best? Arguably, yes.
    I think that is pretty much a universal thought. It's the last decade where Hollywood was pumping out original films and they didn't rely on sequels.

I've mainly seen the popular 70s films, but there are still a ton of lesser-known stuff that I need to catch, so this tournament will be good for me. I've actually been collecting a lot of the films nominated on laserdisc the past few years.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I disagree. It’s the best for someone that it imprinted on. I think, it goes in tune with your age and how old you were when movies made their first impact on you. For me? It’s the mid 80’s into the 90’s. Can I ask your age?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I disagree. It’s the best for someone that it imprinted on. I think, it goes in tune with your age and how old you were when movies made their first impact on you. For me? It’s the mid 80’s into the 90’s. Can I ask your age?
    For me personally, it's the 80s or 90s too. But if I were to look at it objectively, it would probably be the 70s. I'm 40.

Country
    Country Flag

I grew up in the '80s and '90s too, the '70s were before my time. But I still believe those were some of the best movies when the decade is taken as a whole.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    For me personally, it's the 80s or 90s too. But if I were to look at it objectively, it would probably be the 70s. I'm 40.
    I’m 44. There isn’t many films I like from the 70’s... that I have seen BUT as I stated. I’m going to watch some of the big guns here that I missed.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I grew up in the '80s and '90s too, the '70s were before my time. But I still believe those were some of the best movies when the decade is taken as a whole.
    Ok fair enough. I’m such a big believer in the imprinting of youth.... it really makes who you are... and what you love.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I second The Return Of The Pink Panther and nominate The Crazies - 1973 - George Romero
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast