Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1970s

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Sleeper
    Woody Allen 1973

https://youtu.be/VDC1SUlXuGI

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Sleeper.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will nominate a the film version of Thomas Harris' first novel. Yes, he wrote a novel before the Hannibal Lecter series. A great Robert Shaw/Bruce Dern film directed by one of the greats, Frankenheimer. Just in time for the Super Bowl!

Film: Black Sunday
    Director: John Frankenheimer
    Year: 1977

Spoiler:

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Peter Yates' masterpiece, Breaking Away.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Duel - 1971

Spielberg's debut
    Do tv movies count? Or just theatrical releases? I couldn't remember.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Play Misty For Me
    Release Date: 1971
    Director: Clint Eastwood

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Black Sunday and nominate Meatballs - 1979 - Ivan Reitman
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)
    Martin Scorsese

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Duel - 1971

Spielberg's debut
    It was originally a TV movie but also released theatrically later. I'll count it, but TV movies generally do not qualify.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Duel - 1971

Spielberg's debut
    If tv movies count then KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park wins this tourney hands down.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Coma
    Director: Michael Crichton

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Coma.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Play Misty for Me.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post

If tv movies count then KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park wins this tourney hands down.
    Duel was a weird case where a TV movie got a subsequent general theatrical release. Not sure how many more examples of this we would have. I guess arthouse cinemas might show just about anything, TV original or not, but I'd guess that wouldn't count.

Country
    Country Flag

Scenes from a Marriage was a TV miniseries that got recut for a theatrical release. But these things are rare and pure TV movies aren't eligible.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate the funniest (or most ridiculous, depending on your point of view) of the Pink Panther movies: The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

And a hard second for The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Wake in Fright

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I nominate the funniest (or most ridiculous, depending on your point of view) of the Pink Panther movies: The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

Watch trailer:
    Another one from my list...
    Seconded

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate “10” 1979

With the Beautiful Bo Derek...

Country
    Country Flag

The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
    Hayao Miyazaki

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Assault on Precinct 13.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate High Plains Drifter
    Director: Clint Eastwood

Spoiler:

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I second High Plain Drifter
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Woodstock - 1970 - Michael Wadleigh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast