Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Official 2021 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    I haven't seen it live for the first time in a loooong time. is it truth that they forgot kirk douglas in In Memoriam and
    olivia de haviland's name was shown for 0.5 sec ?
    I don't recall seeing his name, but half the names came out in fully automatic fire mode so I can't be sure.

I know they typically have those made and edited well in advance (why there was no Jessica Walter), but Kirk Douglas was before Plummer and Holbrook so he should've been included.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    boring show. The only kind of entertainment they attempted was that fucking awkward and terrible music trivia game

Boring. Felt way longer than 3hrs 15mins. WTF even was that In Memoriam? I feel bad for those people who were on screen for barely a second.

Also the utter lack of edited clips when introducing nominees. Instead of getting a sample of a nominees work (sound, VFX, acting, cinematography) we got them sitting at tables awkwardly while someone off camera spoke little factoids.

WTF: Doing best Picture BEFORE the two acting awards was a massive error in judgment.
    Agree with all of this. I don't know what they were thinking with these choices. When they announced that the song performances would be aired in the pre-show, I thought for sure that they were doing that to leave room to really go all out and make the show a love letter to movies. I was wrong. And what about Soderbergh saying that the show was going to feel cinematic and more like a movie than an awards show? Because it definitely did not.

The In Memoriam was embarrassing, the switcheroo of Best Picture to give Boseman some extra attention was embarrassing (even if it hadn't backfired on them), the acceptance speeches went on waaaaay too long, and that bit with Lil Rel and Glenn Close made me laugh, but at 10:43pm, what the hell were they thinking?

I liked that the show felt intimate and some of the speeches (especially Youn Yuh-jung, who seems like she's delightful in person), but I'm really struggling to find other things that stood out as positive. It was refreshing to see a no Zoom awards show again, but it just didn't deliver what it promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Could just be my lack over not seeing the films or being excited about them this year. Also the change of setting, which I completely understand, it just felt weird and added to my feeling of it not feeling like the Oscars.
    Agree about the outdoor setting. It looked nice, but more backyard barbeque-y than Oscars.

As for the inside, again, it looked nice, but it didn't feel like I was watching the Oscars. It just didn't have the same energy as it does when it's held in the Dolby. Also, Mike and I talked about this already, but the lighting inside the train station (can't believe I'm typing that) was way off. I don't know if it was because there were windows, they used a weird filter or screen, or what, but it didn't make the TV presentation look professional or polished.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Thanks! And for hosting the contest.

I don't comment much about movies, or much of anything, but I've been watching the Oscars since I can remember. My Mom was really into movies and got me hooked. I just look to be entertained by them, don't really analyze them. But love the 1939 output. That was a great movie year.
    You're welcome!

I echo a lot of what Matt and Ricky said. As Ricky mentioned, we messaged each other and said the same exact thing about the lighting. It's the first thing I noticed when the show came on. It was too dim. Way too dim. The other thing and I haven't seen anybody mention this, but there's no need for the cinematic 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I know they were trying to make it feel more like a movie, but it was just stupid and ended up causing some framing issues.

I also would have liked at least one montage of the year in film. I still don't think they celebrate the entire year in film. The frustrating part is that the Oscars had the advantage of being one of the last main awards shows to have a show. So many other awards shows have proven that you can still make it a big event. I see no reason why they couldn't have done the show on a large stage and really spread people out. As others have mentioned it just didn't feel like the Oscars. Lastly, it's fun to give a tidbit about a well-known actor and how they started out, but nobody gives a shit when it's some no-name production designer. They just don't.

Overall, it just wasn't fun. There are so many ways they could have made the show more fun. Mae, I know what you're saying, it's about film. That's why not having clips most of the night really bothered me.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if they'd ever be up for splitting the show into two consecutive Sundays? Two two-hour shows, splitting the categories in half, with plenty of time for musical performances, comedy bits, and film montages. I'd dig that. The only thing would be would the celebrities (and at home audience) come back for day two?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I wonder if they'd ever be up for splitting the show into two consecutive Sundays? Two two-hour shows, splitting the categories in half, with plenty of time for musical performances, comedy bits, and film montages. I'd dig that. The only thing would be would the celebrities (and at home audience) come back for day two?

It's the Oscars. It's not Wrestlemania. One night is more than enough for me! I'm generally with the show wrapping up around 3hrs15min. The real problem is when the show doesn't start until like 8:40 and it's midnight by the time it's over. Start it at 8pm sharp. They might even benefit from a 7:30 start so they can be done before 11pm.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And I know it's a major faux pas in these ultra PC times, but I felt the Academy did Sean Connery dirty by ending the In Memoriam with Boseman instead of Sean Connery. I'm not saying Boseman won't have a lasting legacy because of Black Panther, but Sean Connery has been a Hollywood Icon for 60 years. He's among the most impersonated people in history along with Arnold and Elvis. James Bond is THE Hollywood constant because of Connery. He's given plenty of great performances. Not to disrespect Boseman, but his career simply doesn't compare to a literal heavyweight legend like Sean Connery. Normally that wouldn't really bug me, but the entire In Memoriam was such a trainwreck. They couldn't even be bothered to put in actual clips of people, it was just pictures and that ugly, distracting crystal filter effect. Like, seriously? I just started video editing like months ago. I could whip together a way better In Memoriam than that. Was the A.C.E. office all closed down because of Covid or something and Jim from Sales did it?

Just compare the 2018 In Memoriam compared to the lazy ass 2021 In Memoriam

EDIT - I just noticed that Jessica Walter wasn't included despite being the rarity for an actress to be MORE relevant and popular in old age than she was as a younger age. She had a 50 year career...but they found time to slide in DMX for making a couple shitty movies.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had no issue with them ending on Chadwick. His passing was a shock to most people, he was so young and just at the start of his career. Connery lived a full life and wasn't making movies lately.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, I've been going back and watching In Memoriams and they were so much better ten years ago. They felt like they really cared about them and put a great deal of effort into them. I swear they forgot about this year's In Memoriam until Friday night.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Lastly, it's fun to give a tidbit about a well-known actor and how they started out, but nobody gives a shit when it's some no-name production designer. They just don't.

The worst was the one for the Mulan costume designer "She went to China for three weeks and went to museums to prepare!" Oh wow, so fucking interesting my ears are bleeding from the magnitude of my interest.

The one part of the show I did appreciate was Steven Yeun's story about his mom taking him to see Terminator 2. That was a funny little anecdote that made Steven Yeun seem like a person who actually lived an ordinary life that we can relate to. I would love to see more of that from presenters. It added a nice tone of humanity to the proceedings.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hulu has the complete recap of the Oscars. I watched it for about 15 minutes, cringed, and shut it off. If those 15 minutes are anything to go by, then my God that show was terrible.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Chadwick/Connery thing comes down to this: an acting-based event ends on Connery.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    The Chadwick/Connery thing comes down to this: an acting-based event ends on Connery.
    When I saw the end of the in memoriam, Connery then Boseman,
    I thought, Ok nice idea .. then Kirk Douglas will come last .....

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Hulu has the complete recap of the Oscars. I watched it for about 15 minutes, cringed, and shut it off. If those 15 minutes are anything to go by, then my God that show was terrible.
    That was likely the best 15 minutes too.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Lastly, it's fun to give a tidbit about a well-known actor and how they started out, but nobody gives a shit when it's some no-name production designer. They just don't.

The worst was the one for the Mulan costume designer "She went to China for three weeks and went to museums to prepare!" Oh wow, so fucking interesting my ears are bleeding from the magnitude of my interest.

The one part of the show I did appreciate was Steven Yeun's story about his mom taking him to see Terminator 2. That was a funny little anecdote that made Steven Yeun seem like a person who actually lived an ordinary life that we can relate to. I would love to see more of that from presenters. It added a nice tone of humanity to the proceedings.
    Yes! But that's what the Oscars should be about. Industry people talking about why they love film and how they got into the business.

Honestly, they missed a big opportunity to do some PR for theaters. They should have been going around the room the entire night having actors and directors talk about their favorite theater experience. Really hammer home how important theaters are to the industry.

They also should have had a package showing how even with the pandemic, the industry has kept rolling along. Show behind the scenes where the crew have taken PPE precautions.

Huge missed opportunity there.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! But that's what the Oscars should be about. Industry people talking about why they love film and how they got into the business.

Honestly, they missed a big opportunity to do some PR for theaters. They should have been going around the room the entire night having actors and directors talk about their favorite theater experience. Really hammer home how important theaters are to the industry.

They also should have had a package showing how even with the pandemic, the industry has kept rolling along. Show behind the scenes where the crew have taken PPE precautions.

Huge missed opportunity there.

But Mike, how could they fit in talking about the resiliency of the industry or giving theatres a boost when they had to do all that talking about how much they love women and minorities, especially women who are minorities? It's clearly far more important to point out The Academy is moving away from old white dudes. They couldn't even fit in much on how evil global warming is this year!

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    When I saw the end of the in memoriam, Connery then Boseman,
    I thought, Ok nice idea .. then Kirk Douglas will come last .....
    Kirk Douglas passed at the beginning of February 2020, ahead of the 2020 Oscars ceremony. He was included in the In Memorium segment of the 2020 Oscars.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's what I thought! I've been meaning to check that since reading this thread a few days ago but I got sidetracked.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watched Nomadland. Ok at best. Love Francis but in this one, not a hard part to portray and ok also. I get 2020 was a weird year but concept/artsy films are good but not necessarily the best film of the year. The story itself was bland and weak. Promising Young Woman=bettter movie and story and a stellar female performance IMO.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Agree with your Nomadland points. I've got Promising Young Woman lined up next and am looking forward to it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Nomadland ended up being #10 of my 2020 list and PYW was #2.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

#1?
    BTW, Nobody!!! No awards but pure fun.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nobody was tons of fun! I would like 2 or 3 more of those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5