Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2021 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One curious thing about this year's Oscars that I'm not sure when or if it happened before, but there are movies nominated for Best Picture from three different years.

Sound of Metal first premiered in 2019 and Judas and the Black Messiah first premiered in 2021. The other six movies all first premiered in 2020.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Like they mentioned, this year seems super predictable. The only main category that might be up for grabs is Best Actress. It looks like Mulligan has closed the gap. I'm really rooting for her. I loved Promising Young Woman!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Have we already posted our picks? It’s been so long I don’t even remember!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure anyone has posted just yet. I haven't submitted my form yet. I will probably post everything again here next week. I suspect a low turnout this year.

It's going to be a weird show.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And apparently now there's going to be a pre- AND post-Oscars show.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I am totally off the Oscar's radar this year. Off the top of my head I couldn't even name most of the films that have been nominated, nor have I seen most of them. I think I mentioned that I had seen 1 or 2, but honestly I don't even know what those films are without going to check what's been nominated
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I am totally off the Oscar's radar this year. Off the top of my head I couldn't even name most of the films that have been nominated, nor have I seen most of them. I think I mentioned that I had seen 1 or 2, but honestly I don't even know what those films are without going to check what's been nominated
    I know we discussed this before, but that's so odd to me because most of the films can be found on streaming devices. They are, for the most part, the same films that would be nominated in a non-COVID year.

Essentially, COVID really only hurt the big blockbusters, which are films that don't usually factor into Oscar season anyway.

I do agree that when people think film they think movie theaters, so I can understand why a lot of people ignored many of these movies this year. That's a shame because 2020 was a sneaky strong year for movies.

Country
    Country Flag

Same. I watched most of my movies on streaming anyway, pre-pandemic. So to me the only difference was watching some of the blockbusters at home, like Wonder Woman 1984, which I normally would’ve seen in IMAX. But things like Sound of Metal? Plus now that I have a huge 4K TV watching stuff at home is a great experience.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is. I don't typically watch most of those Blockbuster films, so you would think I would have seen more of the others. There's a few I want to see but haven't gotten to yet. I feel like this past year I've been watching tons of series, and reading tons of books. I think the latter is how I spent a majority of my time. I read the most books in a year than I ever have before, and I've already read 35 so far this year, which is what I would average a couple of years ago for the entire year. So thinking about it I'm going to blame reading for my lack of viewing movies
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oscar night is almost upon us! I hope people still participate even if they aren't as familiar with the films this year like they normally would have been in past years. As always, it's just for fun.

The Rules

Oscar night is right around the corner, so I'm going to post the rules for those who might not be familiar with them. Please tell your friends from other boards to come on over and join us. The more the merrier.

You have until showtime on April 25, 2021.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, whomever has the closest number without going over is the winner. If the tie remains, the person who submits their ballot earliest is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have some time before Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

Returning this year:

Returning this year will be the online ballot submission I created. Of course, ballots can still be submitted here.

Where it says "name" just put your DT.org handle, or designate in some way that you are from the Dark Tower boards. I will be sharing the same contest form with other friends and I don't want to get them confused.

https://tinyurl.com/OscarContest2021

And the nominees are!

BEST PICTURE

The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Maria Bakalova - Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Glenn Close - Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman - The Father
    Amanda Seyfried - Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung - Minari

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Sacha Baron Cohen - The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Daniel Kaluuya - Judas and the Black Messiah
    Leslie Odom Jr. - One Night in Miami
    Paul Raci - Sound of Metal
    Lakeith Stanfield - Judas and the Black Messiah

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Another Round - Denmark
    Better Days - Hong Kong
    Collective - Romania
    The Man Who Sold His Skin - Tunisia
    Qu Vadis, Aida? - Bosnia and Herzegovina

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)

Colette
    A Concerto Is a Conversation
    Do Not Split
    Hunger Ward
    A Love Song For Latasha

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Collective
    Crip Camp
    The Mole Agen
    My Octopus Teacher
    Time

ORIGINAL SONG

"Fight For You" from Judas and the Black Messiah
    "Hear My Voice" from The Trial of the Chicago 7
    "Husavik" from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    "lo Sì (Seen)" from The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)
    "Speak Now" from One Night in Miami...

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Onward
    Over the Moon
    A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Borat Subsequent MovieFilm
    The Father
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The White Tiger

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Minari
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Riz Ahmed - Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Anthony Hopkins - The Father
    Gary Oldman - Mank
    Steven Yeun - Minari

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Viola Davis - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Andra Day - The United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand - Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan - Promising Young Woman

DIRECTOR

Thomas Vinterberg - Another Round
    David Fincher - Mank
    Lee Isaac Chung - Minari
    Chloe Zhao - Nomadland
    Emerald Fennell - Promising Young Woman

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Father
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    News of the World
    Tenet

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Sean Bobbitt - Judas and the Black Messiah
    Erik Messerschmidt - Mank
    Dariusz Wolski - News of the World
    Joshua James Richards - Nomadland
    Phedon Papamichael - The Trial of the Chicago 7

COSTUME DESIGN

Emma
    Ma Rainey's Blackbottom
    Mank
    Mulan
    Pinocchio

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND

Greyhound
    Mank
    News of the World
    Soul
    Sound of Metal

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Burrow
    Genius Loci
    If Anything Happens I Love You
    Opera
    Yes-People

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

Feeling Through
    The Letter Room
    The Present
    Two Distant Strangers
    White Eye

ORIGINAL SCORE

Da 5 Bloods
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Soul

VISUAL EFFECTS

Love and Monsters
    The Midnight Sky
    Mulan
    The One and Only Ivan
    Tenet

FILM EDITING

The Father
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

Emma
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    Pinocchio

Country
    Country Flag

My picks in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    And the nominees are!

BEST PICTURE

The Father
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

Amanda Seyfried - Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung - Minari

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Another Round - Denmark
    Better Days - Hong Kong
    Collective - Romania

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)

Colette
    Do Not Split
    Hunger Ward
    A Love Song For Latasha

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Collective
    Crip Camp
    The Mole Agen
    My Octopus Teacher
    Time

ORIGINAL SONG

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Onward
    Over the Moon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Father
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The White Tiger

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Minari
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Gary Oldman - Mank
    Steven Yeun - Minari

DIRECTOR

David Fincher - Mank
    Lee Isaac Chung - Minari
    Chloe Zhao - Nomadland

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Father
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    News of the World
    Tenet

CINEMATOGRAPHY

COSTUME DESIGN

Emma
    Ma Rainey's Blackbottom
    Mank
    Mulan
    Pinocchio

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND

Greyhound
    Mank
    News of the World
    Soul
    Sound of Metal

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Burrow
    Genius Loci
    Opera
    Yes-People

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

Feeling Through
    The Letter Room
    The Present
    Two Distant Strangers
    White Eye

ORIGINAL SCORE

Da 5 Bloods
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Soul

VISUAL EFFECTS

Love and Monsters
    The Midnight Sky
    Mulan
    The One and Only Ivan
    Tenet

FILM EDITING

The Father
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

Emma
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    Pinocchio
    Tiebreaker: Nomadland with 4

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone here really like Nomadland?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I liked it but it's not my top movie of the year. That reminds me, I still need to do my ranking.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Nomadland but it was a little too meandering for me. I'd never consider it the "best" film of the year.

Also, I keep having to remind myself that the show is this week. Back when they postponed it, April seemed so far away...and now it's here already!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it, but I didn't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I liked it but it's not my top movie of the year. That reminds me, I still need to do my ranking.
    I've been waiting for this list forever. You're killing me.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've submitted without having seen a single film or having paid attention to any buzz or other awards shows. I've only heard rumblings about Nomadland doing well so I went with that.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tonight is the night! Get your picks in.

BEST PICTURE

The Father
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

Amanda Seyfried - Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung - Minari

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Another Round - Denmark
    Better Days - Hong Kong
    Collective - Romania

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)

Colette
    Do Not Split
    Hunger Ward
    A Love Song For Latasha

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Collective
    Crip Camp
    The Mole Agen
    My Octopus Teacher
    Time

ORIGINAL SONG

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Onward
    Over the Moon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Father
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The White Tiger

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Minari
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Gary Oldman - Mank
    Steven Yeun - Minari

DIRECTOR

David Fincher - Mank
    Lee Isaac Chung - Minari
    Chloe Zhao - Nomadland

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Father
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    News of the World
    Tenet

CINEMATOGRAPHY

COSTUME DESIGN

Emma
    Ma Rainey's Blackbottom
    Mank
    Mulan
    Pinocchio

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND

Greyhound
    Mank
    News of the World
    Soul
    Sound of Metal

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Burrow
    Genius Loci
    Opera
    Yes-People

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

Feeling Through
    The Letter Room
    The Present
    Two Distant Strangers
    White Eye

ORIGINAL SCORE

Da 5 Bloods
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Soul

VISUAL EFFECTS

Love and Monsters
    The Midnight Sky
    Mulan
    The One and Only Ivan
    Tenet

FILM EDITING

The Father
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

Emma
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    Pinocchio

Nomadland - 4

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe it's finally happening!

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It will be the lowest-rated Oscars of all time.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It will be the lowest-rated Oscars of all time.
    Again, I honestly don't understand why. Sure the theaters were closed for most of the year for most people. But everyone has these streaming services, or shares passwords. So the movies are all mostly out there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast