Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2021 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominations are coming 3/15!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if anything is going to beat Nomadland at this point. It seems like they are pulling away.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/enter...021/index.html
    BEST PICTURE
    "The Father"
    "Judas and the Black Messiah"
    "Mank"
    "Minari"
    "Nomadland"
    "Promising Young Woman"
    "Sound of Metal"
    "The Trial of the Chicago 7″

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Maria Bakalova, "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm"
    Glenn Close, "Hillbilly Elegy"
    Olivia Colman, "The Father"
    Amanda Seyfried, "Mank"
    Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Sacha Baron Cohen, "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
    Daniel Kaluuya, "Judas and the Black Messiah"
    Leslie Odom Jr., "One Night in Miami"
    Paul Raci, "Sound of Metal"
    Lakeith Stanfield, "Judas and the Black Messiah"

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    "Another Round" - Denmark
    "Better Days" - Hong Kong
    "Collective" - Romania
    "The Man Who Sold His Skin" - Tunisia
    Qu Vadis, Aida? - Bosnia and Herzegovina

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)
    "Colette"
    "A Concerto Is a Conversation"
    "Do Not Split"
    "Hunger Ward"
    "A Love Song For Latasha"

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    "Collective"
    "Crip Camp"
    "The Mole Agent"
    "My Octopus Teacher"
    "Time"

ORIGINAL SONG
    "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah"
    "Hear My Voice" from "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
    "Husavik" from "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga"
    "lo Sė (Seen)" from "The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)"
    "Speak Now" from "One Night in Miami..."

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    "Onward"
    "Over the Moon"
    "A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon"
    "Soul"
    "Wolfwalkers"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    "Borat Subsequent MovieFilm"
    "The Father"
    "Nomadland"
    "One Night in Miami"
    "The White Tiger"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    "Judas and the Black Messiah"
    "Minari"
    "Promising Young Woman"
    "Sound of Metal"
    "TheTrial of the Chicago 7"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Riz Ahmed, "Sound of Metal"
    Chadwick Boseman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Anthony Hopkins, "The Father"
    Gary Oldman, "Mank"
    Steven Yeun, "Minari"

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    Viola Davis, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Andra Day, "The United States vs. Billie Holiday"
    Vanessa Kirby, "Pieces of a Woman"
    Frances McDormand, "Nomadland"
    Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"

DIRECTOR
    Thomas Vinterberg, "Another Round"
    David Fincher, "Mank"
    Lee Isaac Chung, "Minari"
    Chloe Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Emerald Fennell, "Promising Young Woman"

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    "The Father"
    "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    "Mank"
    "News of the World"
    "Tenet"

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Sean Bobbitt, "Judas and the Black Messiah"
    Erik Messerschmidt, "Mank"
    Dariusz Wolski, "News of the World"
    Joshua James Richards, "Nomadland"
    Phedon Papamichael , "The Trial of the Chicago 7"

COSTUME DESIGN
    "Emma"
    "Ma Rainey's Blackbottom"
    "Mank"
    "Mulan"
    "Pinocchio"

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND
    "Greyhound"
    "Mank"
    "News of the World"
    "Soul"
    "Sound of Metal"

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    "Burrow"
    "Genius Loci"
    "If Anything Happens I Love You"
    "Opera"
    "Yes-People"

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
    "Feeling Through"
    "The Letter Room"
    "The Present"
    "Two Distant Strangers"
    "White Eye"

ORIGINAL SCORE
    "Da 5 Bloods"
    "Mank"
    "Minari"
    "News of the World"
    "Soul"

VISUAL EFFECTS
    "Love and Monsters"
    "The Midnight Sky"
    "Mulan"
    "The One and Only Ivan"
    "Tenet"

FILM EDITING
    "The Father"
    "Nomadland"
    "Promising Young Woman"
    "Sound of Metal"
    "The Trial of the Chicago 7"

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    "Emma"
    "Hillbilly Elegy"
    "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    "Mank"
    "Pinocchio"

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Promsing Young Woman is the best and I hope it wins. Nomadland IS BRUTAL. What a horrible movie. I could barley finish it... boring is just not the word here...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched Judas and the Black Messiah over the weekend. Incredible movie.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I guess I should really try to start watching the ones that are streaming. I did watch Wolfwalkers the other week, which I highly recommend. It's streaming on Apple tv right now. I wish there were more people making animated films like that still.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I guess I should really try to start watching the ones that are streaming. I did watch Wolfwalkers the other week, which I highly recommend. It's streaming on Apple tv right now. I wish there were more people making animated films like that still.
    Couldn't agree more, Heather. I love traditionally animated films, too. I guess they're all done on computers nowadays anyway. I mean the 2D aesthetic.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welp, I've seen a whopping...0/8 of the BP noms. Guess I have some watching to do

And it looks like the AMC Oscar marathon I usually go to every year is cancelled.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for posting, Mae. I've seen all but one of the BP nominated films.

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen three of the Picture nominees since they're not streaming yet (The Father, Minari, Promising Young Woman).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I haven't seen three of the Picture nominees since they're not streaming yet (The Father, Minari, Promising Young Woman).
    As you probably know, Promising Young Woman comes out on Blu-ray and for rental tomorrow.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Welp, I've seen a whopping...0/8 of the BP noms. Guess I have some watching to do
    Me too

In other categories I have seen Wolfwalkers, United States vs Billie Holiday, and Tenet. I started to watch Mank but wasn't really feeling it which surprised me because I thought it would be right up my alley. I'll have to go back and give it another chance.

So yeah, I'm not really excited this year since I haven't seen anything. Hopefully that'll change if I watch some of the movies.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I thought Mank would definitely be up your alley!

And how was Billie Holiday? That's been on my radar but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm having trouble summoning up excitement for this year's Oscars, too, so I'm right there with you. Hopefully as it gets closer my excitement will pick up.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

So weird! I'm as pumped as any year. So many great movies!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised you guys haven't seen more stuff. Judas, Ma Rainey, One Night in Miami, Nomadland, Mank, Trial, Sound of Metal and so many more are available on streaming devices that almost everyone has.

For some reason, during the pandemic, people seemed to lean more towards TV shows.

I get it though, for many people film is about going to the theater.

Country
    Country Flag

In a silly move by HBO Max, Judas actually was taken off the service yesterday. The new theatrical releases only stream for a limited time on HBO Max but they should've extended it past the nominations day by at least a couple of days.

Oh bummer, that's one that I've been wanting to watch. Wish they had at least kept it up for another week. Ma Rainey and Nomadland have also been on my list to watch. The problem is that I've been watching a lot of TV, and on weekends I'll watch movies with my boyfriend, but we have exact opposite taste in films so it usually results in us scrolling for an hr before we can finally agree on something

I really enjoyed Billie Holiday. I honestly didn't know much about her life or that any of that had happened. I was also horrified to find out that there is still no anti-lynching law.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I still need to get to Another Round (Denmark). Mads Mikkelsen is my bb ♥

Country
    Country Flag

This has actually been an amazing year for movies. I'm stil working on my usual Top 30 of 2020, but I still have a bunch of biggies to see. Here's a good discussion to that effect:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast