Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2021 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Official 2021 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Welcome to the 2021 Oscar Contest! Well, that was an interesting year. The COVID-19 virus rocked Hollywood, but the funny thing is that many of the films that would have been nominated in a non-virus year still came out in some way shape or form. The virus really only impacted mainstream films, most of which don't factor into Oscar season anyway. Either way, many of these films can be found on streaming services. I hope we can still get people competing regardless. It's just for fun.

The Rules

Oscar night is right around the corner, so I'm going to post the rules for those who might not be familiar with them. Please tell your friends from other boards to come on over and join us. The more the merrier.

You have until showtime on April 25, 2021.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, whomever has the closest number without going over is the winner. If the tie remains, the person who submits their ballot earliest is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have some time before Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

Returning this year:

Returning this year will be the online ballot submission I created. Of course, ballots can still be submitted here.

Where it says "name" just put your DT.org handle, or designate in some way that you are from the Dark Tower boards. I will be sharing the same contest form with other friends and I don't want to get them confused.

https://tinyurl.com/OscarContest2021

And the nominees are!

BEST PICTURE

The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Maria Bakalova - Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Glenn Close - Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman - The Father
    Amanda Seyfried - Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung - Minari

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Sacha Baron Cohen - The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Daniel Kaluuya - Judas and the Black Messiah
    Leslie Odom Jr. - One Night in Miami
    Paul Raci - Sound of Metal
    Lakeith Stanfield - Judas and the Black Messiah

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Another Round - Denmark
    Better Days - Hong Kong
    Collective - Romania
    The Man Who Sold His Skin - Tunisia
    Qu Vadis, Aida? - Bosnia and Herzegovina

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)

Colette
    A Concerto Is a Conversation
    Do Not Split
    Hunger Ward
    A Love Song For Latasha

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Collective
    Crip Camp
    The Mole Agen
    My Octopus Teacher
    Time

ORIGINAL SONG

"Fight For You" from Judas and the Black Messiah
    "Hear My Voice" from The Trial of the Chicago 7
    "Husavik" from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    "lo Sì (Seen)" from The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)
    "Speak Now" from One Night in Miami...

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Onward
    Over the Moon
    A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Borat Subsequent MovieFilm
    The Father
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The White Tiger

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Minari
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Riz Ahmed - Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Anthony Hopkins - The Father
    Gary Oldman - Mank
    Steven Yeun - Minari

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Viola Davis - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Andra Day - The United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand - Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan - Promising Young Woman

DIRECTOR

Thomas Vinterberg - Another Round
    David Fincher - Mank
    Lee Isaac Chung - Minari
    Chloe Zhao - Nomadland
    Emerald Fennell - Promising Young Woman

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Father
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    News of the World
    Tenet

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Sean Bobbitt - Judas and the Black Messiah
    Erik Messerschmidt - Mank
    Dariusz Wolski - News of the World
    Joshua James Richards - Nomadland
    Phedon Papamichael - The Trial of the Chicago 7

COSTUME DESIGN

Emma
    Ma Rainey's Blackbottom
    Mank
    Mulan
    Pinocchio

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND

Greyhound
    Mank
    News of the World
    Soul
    Sound of Metal

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Burrow
    Genius Loci
    If Anything Happens I Love You
    Opera
    Yes-People

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

Feeling Through
    The Letter Room
    The Present
    Two Distant Strangers
    White Eye

ORIGINAL SCORE

Da 5 Bloods
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Soul

VISUAL EFFECTS

Love and Monsters
    The Midnight Sky
    Mulan
    The One and Only Ivan
    Tenet

FILM EDITING

The Father
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

Emma
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Mank
    Pinocchio
    Last edited by Still Servant; 04-19-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-inter...rd-93-entries/
    The Academy on Friday unveiled to its voters a record 93 films will compete in the Best International Feature Film category — which will no doubt leading to a busy four weeks of viewing before first-round voting begins on Feb. 1.

Helped by COVID-inspired rules that relaxed the usual entry requirements, the films topped the record of 92 entries set in 2017, as TheWrap suggested they likely would in December. The films include a record 34 female directors, seven more than the previous high of 27 set last year.

This is not the official list of qualifying films, which is expected to be released by the Academy later in January. But these 93 films are all in the members-only online screening room devoted to the category, and each of them has been put on a “required viewing” list for one-fourth of the voters. It is unlikely that any of the films will be disqualified at this point, although last year two films were deemed ineligible even after the list of contenders had been announced, dropping the number of 2019 contenders from 93 to 91.

This year, at least three films — Canada’s “Funny Boy,” Portugal’s “Listen” and Belarus’ “Persian Lessons” — were submitted but turned down by the Academy, the first two for containing too much English dialogue and the Belarus entry for not having enough creative input from that country. Canada and Portugal submitted alternate films prior to the deadline. Additional problems caused submissions from Bhutan and Uzbekistan to be ineligible, while Algeria submitted “Heliopolis” but later withdrew it.

Among the films that made the cut are Denmark’s “Another Round,” Romania’s documentary “Collective,” Mexico’s “I’m No Longer Here,” the Ivory Coast’s “Night of the Kings,” Switzerland’s “My Little Sister,” Poland’s “Never Gonna Snow Again,” France’s “Two of Us,” Netherlands’ “Bulado,” Bosnia & Herzegovina’s “Quo Vadis, Aida?” and Russia’s “Dear Comrades,” which could receive support from the general voters that choose seven of the films on a shortlist that will be announced on Feb. 9; and Guatemala’s “La Llorona,” Portugal’s “Vitalina Varela,” Ukraine’s “Atlantis,” Taiwan’s “A Sun,” Georgia’s “Beginning” and Lesotho’s “This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection,” which could find favor with the executive committee that will fill the final three spots on the shortlist.

But in a year with few slam-dunk choices on the order of recent nominees “Parasite,” “Roma,” “Cold War,” “Les Miserables” and “Pain and Glory,” the battle for the nomination may be more wide-open than usual.

It’s also more uncertain when it comes to who will vote. First-round balloting is open to all Academy members for the first time ever, which could shift the balance of power away from the Los Angeles-based members who have attended special screenings and determined the bulk of the shortlist for years. But members are receiving their lists of “required viewing” only three-and-a-half weeks before phase-one voting begins, and exactly four weeks before it ends on Feb. 5. And in order for votes to count, members must see a minimum of 12 films from their required-viewing lists, which consist of 23 films (Groups 1, 2 and 3) or 24 films (Group 4).

For members who have been watching the films since they began to be placed in the category’s online screening room, those numbers are within reach, assuming that enough of the movies they’ve seen are on the required-viewing list. But if voters have waited to receive those lists so they know which films to focus on — a situation that anecdotal evidence suggests some have done — they are now faced with watching four or five international movies a week for the rest of January, a prospect that could result in less-motivated participants dropping out.

Here are the films that have been placed in the Academy screening room and assigned to voters in the category:
    • Albania: “Open Door”
    • Argentina: “The Sleepwalkers”
    • Armenia: “Songs of Solomon”
    • Austria: “What We Wanted”
    • Bangladesh: “Sincerely Yours, Dhaka”
    • Belgium: “Working Girls”
    • Bolivia: “Chaco”
    • Bosnia & Herzegovina: “Quo Vadis, Aida?”
    • Brazil: “Babenco – Tell Me When I Die”
    • Bulgaria: “The Father”
    • Cambodia: “Fathers”
    • Cameroon: “The Fisherman’s Diary”
    • Canada: “14 Days, 12 Nights”
    • Chile: “The Mole Agent”
    • China: “Leap”
    • Colombia: “Memories of My Father”
    • Costa Rica: “Land of Ashes”
    • Croatia: “Extracurricular”
    • Cuba: “Buscando a Casal”
    • Czech Republic: “Charlatan”
    • Denmark: “Another Round”
    • Dominican Republic: “A State of Madness”
    • Ecuador: “Emptiness”
    • Egypt: “When We’re Born”
    • Estonia: “The Last Ones”
    • Finland: “Tove”
    • France: “Two of Us”
    • Georgia: “Beginning”
Germany: “And Tomorrow the Entire World”
    • Greece: “Apples”
    • Guatemala: “La Llorona”
    • Honduras: “Days of Light”
    • Hong Kong: “Better Days”
    • Hungary: “Preparations to Be Together for an Unknown Period of Time”
    • Iceland: “Agnes Joy”
    • India: “Jallikattu”
    • Indonesia: “Impetigore”
    • Iran: “Sun Children”
    • Ireland: “Arracht”
    • Israel: “Asia”
    • Italy: “Notturno”
    • Ivory Coast: “Night of the Kings”
    • Japan: “True Mothers”
    • Jordan: 200 Meters”
    • Kazakhstan: “The Crying Steppe”
    • Kenya: “The Letter”
    • Kosovo: “Exile”
    • Kyrgyzstan: “Running to the Sky”
    • Latvia: “Blizzard of Souls”
    • Lebanon: “Broken Keys”
    • Lesotho: “This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection”
    • Lithuania: “Nova Lituania”
    • Luxembourg: “River Tales”
    • Malaysia: “Roh”
    • Mexico: “I’m No Longer Here”
    • Mongolia: “Veins of the World”
    • Montenegro: “Breasts”
    • Morocco: “The Unknown Saint”
    • Netherlands: “Bulado”
    • Nigeria: “The Milkmaid”
    • North Macedonia: “Willow”
    • Norway: “Hope”
    • Pakistan: “Circus of Life”
    • Palestine: “Gaza, Mon Amour”
    • Panama: “Operation Just Cause”
    • Paraguay: “Killing the Dead”
    • Peru: “Song Without a Name”
    • Philippines: “Mindanao”
    • Poland: “Never Gonna Snow Again”
    • Portugal: “Vitalina Varela”
    • Romania: “Collective”
    • Russia: “Dear Comrades!”
    • Saudi Arabia: “Scales”
    • Senegal: “Nafi’s Father”
    • Serbia: “Dara of Jasenovac”
    • Singapore: “Wet Season”
    • Slovakia: “The Auschwitz Report”
    • Slovenia: “Stories From the Chestnut Woods”
    • South Africa: “Toorbos”
    • South Korea: “The Man Standing Next”
    • Spain: “The Endless Trench”
    • Sudan: “You Will Die at Twenty”
    • Suriname: “Wired”
    • Sweden: “Charter”
    • Switzerland: “My Little Sister”
    • Taiwan: “A Sun”
    • Thailand: “Happy Old Year”
    • Tunisia: “The Man Who Sold His Skin”
    • Turkey: “Miracle in Cell No. 7”
    • Ukraine: “Atlantis”
    • Uruguay: “Aleli”
    • Venezuela: “Once Upon a Time in Venezuela”
    • Vietnam: “Dreamy Eyes”
    Descriptions and trailers here: https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-inter...e-list-so-far/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So happy to see Promising Young Women get some love. I'm also happy to see Da 5 Bloods get left out in the cold.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    You know the year has been FUBAR when it's January 2nd and I'm just now creating an Oscar thread. Usually, Mae is reminding me in September to create one!

Well, 2020 has sure been an interesting year for the world, like many facets of life, Hollywood has really been thrown out of wack. With that being said, the show must go on. As I was putting together my Favorite Films of 2020 list, I was surprised to see how many great films had been released this year despite the pandemic. So, even though many people have probably not seen most of these films (including myself) I still feel we need a place to discuss the 2021 Oscars.

This year the show will air on April 25. As always, this first post will eventually have rules etc.

I'm just going to add a few films I expect to get Oscar attention:

Nomadland
    The Trail of the Chicago 7
    Minari
    Mank
    One Night in Miami
    The Father
    Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    News of the World
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    Soul
    Ammonite
    Pieces of a Woman
    First Cow
    Never Rarely Sometimes Always

My hope is that Da 5 Bloods gets no attention. I thought it was one of the worst films of the year and a total mess. Finally, I'm seeing people come around to my side on that.
    Promising Young Woman was my fave of this list!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved Bosman in Ma Rainey, but after watching Judas and the Black Messiah, I don't know how anyone who goes up against Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield have any chance of winning. Kaluuya has reached another level with his performance.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry if anyone hates these but I find these doofuses entertaining.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fincher is a legend and one of my favorite directors of all time, but Mank is a real slog. I'm not going to be happy if Fincher or Spike Lee get nominations this year.

My picks for Best Director:

Chloé Zhao - Nomadland
    Lee Isaac Chung - Minari
    Emerald Fennell - Promising Young Woman
    Shaka King - Judas and the Black Messiah
    Darius Marder - Sound of Metal

Outside of the top two, I doubt these will happen. The King that should get nominated is Shaka, he has crafted a far superior film to Regina King's One Night in Miami, which I enjoyed, but the Academy just adores her. I see no way they leave her out of the best director race.

I don't really give a shit about such things, but I know the Academy does, so I will point it out - my picks are diverse as fuck.

Country
    Country Flag

I feel like Sound of Metal might be too niche for The Academy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I feel like Sound of Metal might be too niche for The Academy.
    Yeah, especially for Best Director. I do think Riz Ahmed will get a nomination though.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm likely not even watching The Oscar's this year. I'll probably still do the contest with 100% guess work.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm likely not even watching The Oscar's this year. I'll probably still do the contest with 100% guess work.
    Me too, I might not even do the contest though. I didn't even watch The Golden Globes last night. I've seen very little this past year and therefore unfortunately not excited at all for it. I honestly probably couldn't even name 10 movies released last year. Hopefully things will begin to change this year.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched like 15 minutes of the GG last night and turned it off. Boooooriiiiiiinnnnggggg

Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I didn't even watch The Golden Globes last night. I've seen very little this past year and therefore unfortunately not excited at all for it. I honestly probably couldn't even name 10 movies released last year.
    I know what you mean. I've hardly seen any "new" stuff this past year. I've mostly been watching stuff on DVD that I missed from the year or two before. Not having watched any of the Globes noms does kind of take the fun out of it. I hope it's not the same for the Oscars, but I'm prepared that it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I watched like 15 minutes of the GG last night and turned it off. Boooooriiiiiiinnnnggggg
    I watched the whole thing but yeah, I agree, it wasn't the most entertaining or engaging show.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, it might be interesting for you guys to enter with little knowledge of the films. It would be cool to see how well you do.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather will end up seeing none of the nominated movies and still win our contest.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Maybe that's been my problem the last few years, maybe going in blind will put me on top again
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only good thing about the GG is that it gave me a blueprint of 2020 films I want to watch and in what order.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The only good thing about the GG is that it gave me a blueprint of 2020 films I want to watch and in what order.
    I could have given you that!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Heather will end up seeing none of the nominated movies and still win our contest.
    Nah fam. It's my year. No personal feelings to muddy up the waters.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast