Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: In Honor of Longtime member John Hanic

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default In Honor of Longtime member John Hanic

Longtime member John Hanic passed away yesterday. In his honor, the color scheme for the site will be black for the next few days.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

JOHN-

I've "known" you for like 20 years and got to meet you for the first time ever in September when I packed up your collection. Rest in Peace my collector friend. You will be missed more than you know.

David

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default In Honor of Longtime member John Hanic

Such sad news. A huge loss to this community.
    Thoughts are with his family. Rest in Peace John you will be missed.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Wow - like David, I've been apart of this community for going on 20 years. What a gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. I am so honored to have been apart of some small part of this world with someone so impactful. Much love to him, his family, and to us who've known John like a great uncle.

Randall, excellent tribute. Thank you.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In the 16+ years I’ve known John, he was unfailingly a good, kind man. Always welcoming and willing to share his extensive knowledge with anyone who took an interest. Sending love to his family, friends, and the wide circle of us who knew him from the collecting world. We’ll miss you, John.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a really sad news. I've known him for almost 20 years as well and was the first person I interviewed for a magazine. A true gentleman, I'll miss him and I won't forget him.

Rest in peace, John.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

So sad to hear this. John was a pillar of this community and will be missed. RIP John. You were a true gentleman and I had great respect for you. Condolences to the family.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Words can barely convey my deep sense of personal loss, as well as community loss. Those of us who knew John since he joined the boards in 2007, knew a man that was always helpful to those seeking his guidance and advice on everything related to Stephen King proofs, arcs, manuscripts, you name it-John likely owned it or had knowledge of it. As mentioned, John also was knowledgeable about other authors too.

Although I never met John, my perception of him was of a kind, gentle, giant (certainly in heart) Ohioan. John never had a sharp word or barb to say to someone else. He avoided conflict-not because he couldn't win an argument, but because he felt there was little to gain on the forum by battling with others. In other words-He was a true gentleman.

My heart goes out to all of his family and friends (including you who are reading this post).

John,

May your memory live a very long time. Bless you.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is very sad news. He was a great contributor here on the boards and he and I shared some messages over the years. He was always very helpful, friendly and generous with his time. Vale, John.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Awe man. That is so sad. He was always so nice. He was the first person to post in my thread. I don't know what else to say except that he will missed very much. And I was just going to email him today .

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been here for 9 years and he has always been part of DT to me. This saddens my heart and prayers go out to him and his family.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Rest in peace, John. You'll be missed.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so sorry to hear of John's passing. He was an awesome, kindhearted guy and a TDT keystone, he will be sorely missed.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John was such a nice man... so sad. SO SO sad
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP.

As a longtime member who's not a collector as many of you here I didn't know John that well but that doesn't matter. This is a tremendous loss for the community and more importantly his family.

This is one evil year.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The messages over the last few months regarding how well people will care for your books is a great testimony of the impact and respect you have here.

Feel so sad, as no doubt so many all over the world are.

Rest In Piece John.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

John,

You welcomed me with kindness when I first began participating on Calvin's Corner. You bestowed knowledge to me, and many others, when questions arose. You graced us with your anecdotal intelligence to quench our collective Stephen King curiosity. You have been a gentleman and always above the fray. I remember you telling me that the Steelers were your favorite football team and I replied that they were my father's 2nd favorite football team (after the Packers). Perhaps you'll meet and have a chat about football. I admired you greatly and, even though we never met face-to-face, I will miss you immensely.

My condolences to your wife and the extended Hanic family. Rest in Peace, John.

John

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

John was the very first person that I corresponded with 11 or so years ago when I discovered Stephen King proofs and then TDT.org. He was THE MAN and never hesitated to help out this novice collector with all the dumb questions (or perhaps it was this dumb collector with all the novice questions). It is no exaggeration to say that my collection is what it is and that I'm here today because of John.

A couple of months back he and I were talking about his health. Even though he was bed-ridden and in a nursing home he was still in pretty good spirits; "I'm okay. The weather changes sometimes get to me though." he said. He was concerned that he couldn't keep up on TDT as much, and was very concerned about his collection and how his wife and daughter would handle it when the time came.

I offered to assist with upkeep of his Proofs/ARCs thread in case he couldn't do it (he said yes) and I also recommended getting ahold of David at Betts for the collection. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that, it was obviously the way to go.

The last time I heard from him was October 19th. I dropped him a note two weeks ago but didn't hear anything back, so I figured something was up. Was going to follow up with him tonight, see how he felt, mention what I picked up from Round 2 of his sale.

Instead now I have to say goodbye to my proofs mentor and friend, and wish for him that the clearing at the end of the path be piled high with his collection.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Man -- I'm devastated to hear that. I never met John in person, but I have corresponded with him for years and years. A terrible loss.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

My last PM to John was on October 28. He always gave me good advice, he was always very pleasant and easygoing.
    I am extremely saddened to hear of his passing.
    Rest in peace, John.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

What a crushing loss to the entire community. As many have already said, John was a great man who was always willing to help out a ton of folks here, myself included. He will be sorely missed.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

A long standing, valued member of this community from Day 1. He will be missed.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

John, everyone looked up to you, but you never looked down on anyone.
    A true Gentleman.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the advice over the years John. We'll miss you.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

This is going to be hard to get over. Even though we never met, he was a big time forum friend for me. I would PM him and he would always answer.
    I am just heartbroken now for the loss to this forum and of course his family. I remember when he told me things weren't going well and he was
    moving to a nursing home and that he had to sell his collection. I felt bad then. I feel so bad now. I really liked our conversations.
    He will be missed. I hope we can make his collection thread (if he had one) and the stuff he did in the proof sections sticky's. so they
    will always be there. Man this sucks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast