24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max Mad: Fury Road

11 45.83%
  • Inception

13 54.17%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Final

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I voted for Inception. It's not my personal pick for top of the decade, but considering I couldn't even make it through Mad Max... That said I do think Inception is qualified to be near the top. It's got great visuals, story, and acting. Surprised it's getting so much hate here. I always thought it was loved by the members here.
    Couldn't agree more. Not my personal favorite either, but a worthy film nonetheless.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm honestly surprised it's this close, with Inception now ahead by two.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I voted for Inception. It's not my personal pick for top of the decade, but considering I couldn't even make it through Mad Max... That said I do think Inception is qualified to be near the top. It's got great visuals, story, and acting. Surprised it's getting so much hate here. I always thought it was loved by the members here.

Don't confuse my criticism of it with hate...I just think it's an incredibly overrated film in the sense it's put on such a pedestal. It's a really well made but hollow experience for me after several viewings. If I had to rank Nolan films, Inception would be the bottom half with Interstellar, The Prestige, and Insomnia, but it would be above those 3 films. Dunkirk is my favourite Nolan film.

If there is any hate in me in regards to Inception, it's the pedestal it's on, which isn't really the fault of the film. I don't think it deserves the pedestal at all. I disagree with people here who think Parasite is the best film the of the decade, but I don't think it's undeserving of being considered for that. Though it seems people here also don't get the appeal of Mad Max either while others consider it worthy of greatness. Two sides of an aisle in this final, it seems.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a reminder that this closes in two days, on Monday afternoon!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    Hey, hey, Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Let's not go mixing genres here!

I hate that I have to make this argument every single year.

Movie set during Christmas time =/= Christmas movie.

If this were the case, then Shazam! would be a Christmas movie too.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Shazam is the superhero Christmas movie. It’s an annual tradition in my house and watching Green Lantern on Ryan Reynolds’ birthday.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

And somewhat shockingly and unexpectedly, our winner of the fourth part of The Great Movie Tournament and the best film of the 2010s is Inception (2010), directed by Christopher Nolan.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

At least the 80s tournament got it right.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And the crowd goes mild!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Called it!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Shazam is the superhero Christmas movie. It’s an annual tradition in my house and watching Green Lantern on Ryan Reynolds’ birthday.

You celebrate Ryan Reynolds birthday? And you do it by watching "Green Lantern"?

I'll pray for you and your family.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's the only one so far. We were very close here. I'm not surprised though. Inception is definitely the more accessible of the two with a wider appeal, plus the star power. It's why I picked Inception to win over Mad Max.

I just feel it's important to note some things

- Mad Max was directed by a 70 year old man and contained that much raw energy. Also its hard to believe it's the same director as Babe and Happy Feet.

- Tom Hardy is in both films.

- Both films contain protagonists haunted by images of his lost wife and kids.

- Both films take unique approaches to linearity and motion. While Inception depictions multiple things happening at the same time in different speeds, yet all tethered to forward moving time, Mad Max is a linear film where the characters from A to B and then go all the way back to A, which kind of mimicks Nolan's Memento in how you're ending the film at the beginning.

- One film is about infiltrating a secure place while the other is about escaping a secure place.

- One film contains an avalanche while the other contains a sandstorm.

- Both films contain the goal of crumbling a powerful man's empire.

- Inception is a Batman heavy film in that Hardy, Murphy, Cotillard, Watanabe all played Batman villains and while JGL played Robin and Michael Caine played Alfred; Ellen Paige was in X-Men Mad Max features Hardy, who was venom. Nicholas Hoult who played Beast and Josh Helman who played Col Stryker. Zoe Kravitz was also in X-Men. While superhero films didn't fare well doesn the stretch, the two final films had no shortage of actors who were in superhero films, and the crossover actor Hardy played two different supervillains, on for DC and one for Marvel. The two casts combined to play 11 different superhero comic characters (12 if you Include Theron playing Atomic Blonde) adding up to.

- both Films found oscar success with 10 Oscars between them, two best picture nominees, 18 total nominations spread across 12 different categories, winning awards in 8 of those 12. They're the two most successful action films at the Oscars since The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and were the only 2 action films nominated for best picture in the decade out of approximately 85 nominated films
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Matt. Those are some interesting tidbits.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice to see the right one win Good job Mae on this! Thanks Mattick for the contest too.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to everyone for participating! I'm now very excited for the 1970s tournament. I will open the nominations thread for it early January, so check the overview thread for some handy links of '70s movies to help with your own list-making!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'll be! I have to say, I'm a little surprised. I thought Mad Max was more well-loved here.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3