Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBA Talk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default NBA Talk

Can't believe we don't have a basketball thread!

Apparently Klay Thompson has apparently suffered a season ending achilles injury. I'm not a GSW fan but I was excited at seeing them compete against Lakers at full strength.

Damn...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

That sucks. 2 missed years and in a row to boot. Shit luck.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jesus christ are there really no other Basketball fans here!?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Can't believe we don't have a basketball thread!

Apparently Klay Thompson has apparently suffered a season ending achilles injury. I'm not a GSW fan but I was excited at seeing them compete against Lakers at full strength.

Damn...
    Well, I am a NYK fan who was at Game 7 with my, Dad in the 70's (and if you don't know that reference year ur not a real, Laker or NBA fan. And "Searching is Cheating. lol) and once paid huge amounts for court side seats during the playoffs in the 90's. As a result, my son and I established what has so far turned into "Long Term Memories" (LTM's for future reference) and a. Ewing jersey (His favorite Player so I framed it and also got a signed ball to go with it. LOL) with his sweat DNA on it.

So, the subsequent team versions have slowly deteriorated my fandom over the years and kinda enforced my love for the NCAA/Duke/N.C./Kentucky. So your post kinda brings back haunting and painful yet, somewhat loving memories with my, dad and son that are now just that. I mean at least a couple good playoff runs by one of the premier NBA franchses would have been nice. There is really no hope for the future with that fucking idiot, Dolan owning the team. What that Russian has done for the, Nets makes it even worse. They're from fucking, BROOKLYN, man. It's a fucking expansion team from a fucking BORO of N.Y. (BTW, if ur not a NYer u won't understand the later reference fully. lol) So. please keep this fucking thread ot of the "Current Posts" thread notice list. Even though I am not subscribed it hurts to see it!!!! (J/K regarding the "Current Thread reference. Not really unfortunately about the "It hurts" one. lol)

So STFU, you fucking Laker/Kobe/LeBron Fan!!! You've probably never even watched, Wilt play the game on video!! lol lol Willis Reed is? Dave DeBush? Senator Bill Bradley's nickname? The name of the player that made an entire generation of HS player sport "Floppy Socks"? Who is "Cyde the Glide"? Do you know who the League Logo is? Do you know the name of one of the most important trades the NYK made back in the day (Hint: jewelry)? Have u seen video of, Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason or, (that heart wrenching shot he couldn't make) of, Charles Smith? Lastly, have u ever seen that video replay of Starks' DE-KNILEL (My own creation they should have used for the Sports Section of the "Daily News" front page. lol) of, MICHAEL and have any idea why I FUCKING HATE "Da Bulls" (Wait a sec. I suppose it's remotely possible you actually watched that "live" if you are a big NBA fan. lol)? Still, it is required viewing for a league fan. lol

Googling is Cheating!!! lol If you're a real fan you already have in the past so, be true to yourself at least. lol Answer ALL of these questions truthfully and with only personal relationships or references for any assistance or any follow-ups I can recall (lol) and you are a TRUE LEAGUE FAN!!! IF YOU CAN'T, DELETE THIS THREAD NOW AND DO ALL US "REAL FANS" A FAVOR!!! lol j/k. (a little anyway. lol)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The NBA is unwatchable in its current form.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    That's deep, man. Deep. lol

How about joining the conversation here? Clearly you could add to it I'm sure. You seem like a older fan. You know, before they players could choose sides!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

How about joining the conversation here? Clearly you could add to it I'm sure. You seem like a older fan. You know, before they players could choose sides!! LOL
    You got me pegged right. Started watching the Celtics in the 70s, then I was able to go to so many games in the 80s, as my uncle had season tickets. He gave the tickets up when they transitioned from Boston Garden to what is now the TD Garden - hate the place, especially where they relocated us - from stadium to balcony.

As for changes in the game, well first off, I recognize that every generation thinks their teams were the best. I am one of them. Give me a Cowens, a Havlicheck, Bird-Parish-McHale, DJ, Pierce, etc. I'll take them all over today's game. The three point line was the beginning of the end, followed by the zone defense (do they really play defense?), and now the douce-bag team building by players. Hate it. It's time to move the three point line out another 3 feet at least, and it's time to get rid of zone defense - what is this college?

My biggest complaint, however, is the excessive use of replay - it's almost killed the NFL, and it has already killed the NBA. Well, that's about it for now. Thanks for sucking me into this drivel.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You got me pegged right. Started watching the Celtics in the 70s, then I was able to go to so many games in the 80s, as my uncle had season tickets. He gave the tickets up when they transitioned from Boston Garden to what is now the TD Garden - hate the place, especially where they relocated us - from stadium to balcony.

As for changes in the game, well first off, I recognize that every generation thinks their teams were the best. I am one of them. Give me a Cowens, a Havlicheck, Bird-Parish-McHale, DJ, Pierce, etc. I'll take them all over today's game. The three point line was the beginning of the end, followed by the zone defense (do they really play defense?), and now the douce-bag team building by players. Hate it. It's time to move the three point line out another 3 feet at least, and it's time to get rid of zone defense - what is this college?

My biggest complaint, however, is the excessive use of replay - it's almost killed the NFL, and it has already killed the NBA. Well, that's about it for now. Thanks for sucking me into this drivel.
    Awww, c'mon you must have enjoyed the memories, no? lol That was a great team too!! I remember epic regular season battles between them and the Knicks in the day. Sadly, no longer as long as, Dolan has the keys to the Garden. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Awww, c'mon you must have enjoyed the memories, no? lol That was a great team too!! I remember epic regular season battles between them and the Knicks in the day. Sadly, no longer as long as, Dolan has the keys to the Garden. LOL
    Enjoyed the memories? Yes of the 70s and 80s for sure. Tiny Archibald was one of the best ball distributors I have ever seen, while DJ was the edgy defender we needed in the mid 80s. But the big three, the original big three were a joy to watch. Because my uncle's health was not great in the 80s I was lucky enough to go to some really great playoff games. Bird -vs- Dominique game 7 - I was there. The Celtics -vs- Jordan and his 63 points - I was there. Bird hitting his face on the court versus the Pacers, leaving, and then triumphantly come back to put a nail in them - I was there. Tree Rollins biting Danny Ainge - I was there. I was one of the Boston fans chanting for the 76ers to "Beat LA" when they beat us in game 7 - class was shown that day. Great stuff - I would put that 86 Celtics team up against anyone. Unfortunately I was at the game where Reggie Lewis collapsed and then died 3-4 months later.

But today's game - ugh!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

The shooting motion rule change coming next year is a step in the right direction. Hate that a shooter was allowed to initiate contact to get a foul called for so long. So long leg kick

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Such a bummer that Young went out by stepping on the freaking Ref's foot. He was in blistering form before that and I can't see the Hawks beating the Bucks if Ice Trae is not operating at 100%.

In the other bracket, I think the Suns close out the Clippers today in Game 5.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Former basketball fan here (Celtics).

I first started watching when I randomly caught a game (Bird's Celtics, the first year of the big three with Parish and McHale) in the spring of 1981. The game (that game, and basketball in general) was exciting, and the Celtics were good, so I continued watching. This was the second NBA season with the 3 point line, but it didn't seem new to me, it was just part of the game. I have memories from that time of old time NBA fans complaining that it would eventually turn the game into a jump shooting contest, but that didn't seem to be happening, so I didn't care.

Many years and seasons went by, and a few things started to change, none of which were to my liking, although they certainly were to the liking of NBA management and most fans:

Statistical analysis convinced teams to start jacking up 3-pointers, and the old-timers of my youth were proven correct.
    Why is this a problem? As with many things, it's a matter of taste - others like it, but I don't.

For me, the offensive part of basketball is a matter of creating better shots, based on movement of players and the ball, eventually creating space to drive to the basket (for a layup or dunk) or to pop open (for a clear shot), all while players maintain position to grab rebounds off misses. While these ingredients remain, the philosophy has largely moved to one of simply setting up behind the 3 point line and letting them fly; if you have a hot night, you win, if you have a cold night, you lose. Shooting percentages mattered before, of course, but it was all part of the game: if your players were still moving and you still moved the ball, you would generate something on offense other than long rebounds from missed 3 pointers.

In recent seasons, although I was enjoying watching the middle of the road post-Paul Pierce Celtics, it got to be irritating that the Ws and Ls correlated so strongly to something that was essentially random (are we hot tonight?). In the 2017 playoffs, a series against Washington went to game 7, and the Celtics won because Kelly Olynyk (a decent but inconsistent shooting 7-footer capable of starting on a bad team or contributing from the bench of a good one) got hot from the 3 point line that night. I was happy to win the game and the series, but I knew it wasn't that he (or the team) had "played better"; I knew it was because we'd had some freaky luck - this didn't feel like basketball to me at all.

Now we're at the point where someone like Steph Curry is considered MVP level. "Steph" is basically Reggie Miller 30 years later, and while Miller was a hell of a player who earned my respect and admiration, he had no business in MVP discussions.

Beyond Steph, current NBA offense also places on a pedestal almost anyone who can occasionally shoot well, but let's remember what happened to poor little Klay Thompson, who, upon falling cold in the 2016 Olympics, was entirely useless as a basketball player (unlike people like Kobe, LeBron, or even freakin' Carmelo Anthony, all of whom knew more about basketball than "pop out, jack it up").

Traveling
    What is traveling? Almost nothing:
    - Multiple videos show players such as Harden taking up to 7 steps while setting up a play from the perimeter without dribbling
    - One memorable play showed a player (possibly Giannis (who is awesome), but I'm not certain) taking the ball from the opposite free throw line to the basket (approx. 3/4 of the court) while dribbling only once, and no travel was called. What wasn't clear was whether the officials thought the number of steps taken was legal or whether they simply don't count them anymore, but either way, this was Harlem Globetrotters stuff.
    - The "running back" - this is what I call it when a player grabs the ball with both arms, with both forearms horizontal, and he charges ahead with it before pulling it back out to make a play, all of which happens while the player is on the move (it takes several steps to execute this series of motions).
    - The "Eurostep" - what they call it when a player runs in one direction, then changes to another, all without dribbling.

With regard to traveling alone, the game is reaching professional wrestling levels of ridiculousness.

Some teams are becoming pickup teams.
    Free agency itself (part of all sports) has never been the problem; of course, players between contracts should make their own decisions and act in their own interest. I also have no problem with players talking to each other to discuss possible future teaming up. My problem is when players sabotage their current team through public statements that destroy their current team's trading leverage; often, teams in this position then have to play the player in question fewer games or minutes because everyone knows they're no longer interested in that team and only want to avoid injury. Anthony Davis is a great example of this particular brand of bullshit - and how about the "That's All Folks!" t-shirt he wore to his final game with New Orleans? Stay classy, Anthony!

How to combat this? Teams have anti-tampering rules, so maybe teams whose players make such public statements can get salary cap relief in these instances; perhaps New Orleans (in the Anthony Davis example above) could've had a portion of Davis' final New Orleans season's salary added as cap room in the following season, or something like that. How to discourage players from doing this? I can't think of anything that would work that wouldn't go too far (prohibiting a player from signing with, or being traded to, his chosen team would be going too far). From my perspective, how to handle this problem is immaterial; I regard it as a permanent part of the game.

The BLM stuff was my final straw, but only because it came after everything else. Although I probably agree with 95% of the players' positions on these issues, I don't watch sports to learn how young millionaires think I might become a better person and finally asked myself "why am I watching a game I no longer enjoy being played by people telling me how to handle my place in society?". I had no good answer - and stopped.

I'm not waiting for, or expecting, the game to change back; this is what it is and likely what it will continue to be for the rest of my life. As for whether it's good or bad, I'd say it seems to work for all of the players and many millions of fans, so it's not so much that it has been "ruined" as it is that it has become something of no use to me.

Some traces of fanhood remain and are likely to linger, however: I still love Marcus Smart and Al Horford, I stand ready to follow Kevin Garnett into battle at any time or any place, and I will always love rooting against Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, and the Lakers.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Great post St. Troy! Could agree more about the traveling rule (is there one?).

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Bird -vs- Dominique game 7 - I was there. The Celtics -vs- Jordan and his 63 points - I was there.
    I was fortunate to attend both of those as well.

I gained a lot of respect for Dominique on that day; I already knew he was incredible, but holding his own when going toe to toe with Larry, that was great. While he didn't win, he had no reason to feel ashamed of that day - he brought his very best when it was needed.

The Jordan game was like "WTF is this guy?" Just happy to escape with the win that day.

...I would put that 86 Celtics team up against anyone.
    That team is my high water mark as well; my fantasy matchups always involve that one (I'd have liked to see them play the '83 76ers).

How would the '86 Celtics do against a recent Warriors championship team? The differences in style make it impossible for me to predict, but I do know the Warriors would only get about 5 rebounds per game.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Bird -vs- Dominique game 7 - I was there. The Celtics -vs- Jordan and his 63 points - I was there.
    I was fortunate to attend both of those as well.

I gained a lot of respect for Dominique on that day; I already knew he was incredible, but holding his own when going toe to toe with Larry, that was great. While he didn't win, he had no reason to feel ashamed of that day - he brought his very best when it was needed.

The Jordan game was like "WTF is this guy?" Just happy to escape with the win that day.

...I would put that 86 Celtics team up against anyone.
    That team is my high water mark as well; my fantasy matchups always involve that one (I'd have liked to see them play the '83 76ers).

How would the '86 Celtics do against a recent Warriors championship team? The differences in style make it impossible for me to predict, but I do know the Warriors would only get about 5 rebounds per game.
    Depends on the rules. If you played under the 80s rules of no zone, then the Celtics would destroy them. I'd love to see what Warriors would do with the big three. Dramond Green is a great player, but McHale would tool him close to the basket, and Bird, Bird would embarrass him with trash talk. And I'd love to see DJ on the Warrior guards. Under current rules, I'm not so sure the Celts could keep up. Love the different eras talk.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Former basketball fan here (Celtics).

I first started watching when I randomly caught a game (Bird's Celtics, the first year of the big three with Parish and McHale) in the spring of 1981. The game (that game, and basketball in general) was exciting, and the Celtics were good, so I continued watching. This was the second NBA season with the 3 point line, but it didn't seem new to me, it was just part of the game. I have memories from that time of old time NBA fans complaining that it would eventually turn the game into a jump shooting contest, but that didn't seem to be happening, so I didn't care.

Many years and seasons went by, and a few things started to change, none of which were to my liking, although they certainly were to the liking of NBA management and most fans:

Statistical analysis convinced teams to start jacking up 3-pointers, and the old-timers of my youth were proven correct.
    Why is this a problem? As with many things, it's a matter of taste - others like it, but I don't.

For me, the offensive part of basketball is a matter of creating better shots, based on movement of players and the ball, eventually creating space to drive to the basket (for a layup or dunk) or to pop open (for a clear shot), all while players maintain position to grab rebounds off misses. While these ingredients remain, the philosophy has largely moved to one of simply setting up behind the 3 point line and letting them fly; if you have a hot night, you win, if you have a cold night, you lose. Shooting percentages mattered before, of course, but it was all part of the game: if your players were still moving and you still moved the ball, you would generate something on offense other than long rebounds from missed 3 pointers.

In recent seasons, although I was enjoying watching the middle of the road post-Paul Pierce Celtics, it got to be irritating that the Ws and Ls correlated so strongly to something that was essentially random (are we hot tonight?). In the 2017 playoffs, a series against Washington went to game 7, and the Celtics won because Kelly Olynyk (a decent but inconsistent shooting 7-footer capable of starting on a bad team or contributing from the bench of a good one) got hot from the 3 point line that night. I was happy to win the game and the series, but I knew it wasn't that he (or the team) had "played better"; I knew it was because we'd had some freaky luck - this didn't feel like basketball to me at all.

Now we're at the point where someone like Steph Curry is considered MVP level. "Steph" is basically Reggie Miller 30 years later, and while Miller was a hell of a player who earned my respect and admiration, he had no business in MVP discussions.

Beyond Steph, current NBA offense also places on a pedestal almost anyone who can occasionally shoot well, but let's remember what happened to poor little Klay Thompson, who, upon falling cold in the 2016 Olympics, was entirely useless as a basketball player (unlike people like Kobe, LeBron, or even freakin' Carmelo Anthony, all of whom knew more about basketball than "pop out, jack it up").

Traveling
    What is traveling? Almost nothing:
    - Multiple videos show players such as Harden taking up to 7 steps while setting up a play from the perimeter without dribbling
    - One memorable play showed a player (possibly Giannis (who is awesome), but I'm not certain) taking the ball from the opposite free throw line to the basket (approx. 3/4 of the court) while dribbling only once, and no travel was called. What wasn't clear was whether the officials thought the number of steps taken was legal or whether they simply don't count them anymore, but either way, this was Harlem Globetrotters stuff.
    - The "running back" - this is what I call it when a player grabs the ball with both arms, with both forearms horizontal, and he charges ahead with it before pulling it back out to make a play, all of which happens while the player is on the move (it takes several steps to execute this series of motions).
    - The "Eurostep" - what they call it when a player runs in one direction, then changes to another, all without dribbling.

With regard to traveling alone, the game is reaching professional wrestling levels of ridiculousness.

Some teams are becoming pickup teams.
    Free agency itself (part of all sports) has never been the problem; of course, players between contracts should make their own decisions and act in their own interest. I also have no problem with players talking to each other to discuss possible future teaming up. My problem is when players sabotage their current team through public statements that destroy their current team's trading leverage; often, teams in this position then have to play the player in question fewer games or minutes because everyone knows they're no longer interested in that team and only want to avoid injury. Anthony Davis is a great example of this particular brand of bullshit - and how about the "That's All Folks!" t-shirt he wore to his final game with New Orleans? Stay classy, Anthony!

How to combat this? Teams have anti-tampering rules, so maybe teams whose players make such public statements can get salary cap relief in these instances; perhaps New Orleans (in the Anthony Davis example above) could've had a portion of Davis' final New Orleans season's salary added as cap room in the following season, or something like that. How to discourage players from doing this? I can't think of anything that would work that wouldn't go too far (prohibiting a player from signing with, or being traded to, his chosen team would be going too far). From my perspective, how to handle this problem is immaterial; I regard it as a permanent part of the game.

The BLM stuff was my final straw, but only because it came after everything else. Although I probably agree with 95% of the players' positions on these issues, I don't watch sports to learn how young millionaires think I might become a better person and finally asked myself "why am I watching a game I no longer enjoy being played by people telling me how to handle my place in society?". I had no good answer - and stopped.

I'm not waiting for, or expecting, the game to change back; this is what it is and likely what it will continue to be for the rest of my life. As for whether it's good or bad, I'd say it seems to work for all of the players and many millions of fans, so it's not so much that it has been "ruined" as it is that it has become something of no use to me.

Some traces of fanhood remain and are likely to linger, however: I still love Marcus Smart and Al Horford, I stand ready to follow Kevin Garnett into battle at any time or any place, and I will always love rooting against Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, and the Lakers.
    Couldn't agree more!!! Now, I prefer the, NCAA game over pro. I like a few different University's, Duke, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Tar Heels and the Boys from Syracuse to name a few. That game is also not quite what it once was but, still the energy and a few other elements make it more fun to watch than the pro's, IMHO. One thing I don't wholly agree with is the 3 pt line. Jump shots are cool too and the ability of "Bigs" becoming so dangerous out there is a nice element to me. You make some salient points regarding the 3pt line but, I don't think its a major contributor to the NBA's decline.

As a KYK fan, I'mstill in the mud anyway you cut it anyway!!! LOL LOL Sad, sad day when, Dolan took the reins of that historic franchise!!! The owners should all band together and give him the boot IMHO. Having the Garden rocking in the playoff's is good for the league. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

As a KYK fan, I'mstill in the mud anyway you cut it anyway!!! LOL LOL Sad, sad day when, Dolan took the reins of that historic franchise!!! The owners should all band together and give him the boot IMHO. Having the Garden rocking in the playoff's is good for the league. lol
    Agreed: Dolan has to go. I'll be happy when the Knicks bounce back.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is crazy to find a couple of cantankerous old-school Celtics fans on this boards in DoctorZ and St. Troy, but that is exactly the lineage that I hail from as well. As a kid I loved watching Bird, Parrish, Ainge, McHale and the Celtics dominate and hated the Lakers with a passion.

I also feel like today's League has passed me by and agree with a lot of the points the aforementioned disgruntled Celts have made. I'm very surprised I am at this point because the NBA is a part of my professional life and I'm fairly well connected to it. I HAVE had a pretty star-crossed fandom within the NBA, though

You see because I hail from Orlando, Florida, I came on board with the Magic as my favorite team when they came to town in 89. I still will always love the Celtics, but they took a back seat to the hometown team when Pat Williams brought the Magic to town. I was a season ticket holder in the Shaq/Penny era, splitting a pair of seats with a bartender I worked with. What a wild ride that was in the 90's with us making the finals only to get swept by the Olajuwan and the Rockets and to see the DeVos ownership (billionaire owners of the Amway Corporation) make one of the the biggest blunders in sports history and not pay Shaquille O'Neal, allowing him to get away to LA. I still think had we paid Shaq, we would have eventually won a Championship.

As I transitioned from Restaurant work to Technical Show Production work as a career, in 2005 I scored the sweetest gig ever from a buddy as I took his place when he moved on. I have worked on the Production crew operating a spotlight at the Orlando Magic games for about 16 years now. So I basically GET PAID to watch NBA basketball and have seen almost every Orlando Magic Game since then by working them. It is not a high paying gig, but it is the best side-job I have ever had.

I was there for the whole Shaq "Re-Do" era when we took Dwight Howard and built a team for another Championship run, that was to have similar results to the first one. I remember working the NBA finals and eating backstage pregame dinner right across the table from Bill Russell! I was blown away!
    But the Magic will be the Magic and I saw us fall to my most hated team the Lakers and get closed out on our own home court for them to win their umpteenth Ring. As my bad luck would have it, I was working an AV gig in their team hotel the next day and got to watch all the Lakers walk by me the next morning as I was setting up tvs. Phil Jackson, Kobe, Trevor Ariza (who had just been on our team), all with big ole shit eating grins on their faces. Talk about salt in the wound!

And then of course, we trade Dwight and decimate the team, Just like what happened with Shaq. I cant believe it has been almost 10 years since we started "rebuilding"

The Magic have always been the same. Players love to come here for their first contract, go to Disney World, but then they move on to another team to win their rings. Ownership consistently breaks the team down and fire-sales the good players away and we start all over. (hell we just did it AGAIN!)

It is hard to stay a dedicated NBA fan in this era (especially having experienced so much heartbreak and "almost made-its" as a Magic fan) . The game has changed so much for an old school fan. The players have too much control and want to create Superteams. Orlando ownership uses the team as a tax writeoff for their billions and wont commit to building a true Champion (like Mark Cuban did), and I am literally up in the catwalks reading speculative fiction on a Kindle while my favorite team flounders on the floor below me. It is hard to even get invested when my second favorite team the Celts do well.

I enjoyed when the Mavericks stuck with it and Dirk got his ring. I followed the Warriors rise from obscurity with a interest when they began their run, but other than that it has been a tough decade for this "fan" and I'm having difficulty staying engaged past highlighting the dancing girls and player intros.

Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Shaq and Howard Magic teams were no joke; Shaq's team took down Jordan's Bulls in '95 (this was right after Jordan came back; his Bulls would win the next 3 championships). I know Jordan had just returned, but the man was on the court - that was no easy task.

I love Cuban as an owner: he wants to win, and he pulls no punches with the officiating.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In the 80s, my family had season tickets (balcony on the team bench side); while I saw my share of games, I definitely couldn't see them all and didn't have the inside track on choice (my older brothers did).

In the '86 finals, the Celtics had 3 home games (games 1, 2, and 6, all of which they won, the last of which won the championship). I got the tickets for game 1, but not the others. Me and a buddy decided to see if we could get into game 2 via a scalper, and we were successful. I forget how much the guy asked for, but we didn't have the asking price, but since it was just about time for tip-off, he took what we offered and we were in. Unfortunately, being the knuckleheads we were, we didn't even hold back $10 for drinks, so we sweated the night out without refreshment - still, it was a great night.

About the seats: this game was in the "old" Boston Garden, which had been built in the 1920s primarily with boxing in mind. I don't recall the section number where we sat, but I tell you this (no lie): we had a balcony hanging low over us and could only see one of the baskets. (Adam Sandler's SNL bit about going to a game at the Garden in a section that was actually inside a boiler room is not as big an exaggeration as you might think).

There was, however, a small railed-off area near us, not for fans (no seats, no entry), and whose purpose was unknown until halftime, when a brief interview happened there, with one of the network guys (Brent Musberger? I really don't recall) and none other than Magic Johnson. Before they went live, the fans around us (and us) started chanting "Where's L.A.? Where's L.A.?" (because Magic's Lakers had lost the western conference finals to the Houston Rockets, the Celtics' opponent in the finals at that time). I've always found Magic pretty irritating, but I'll give him this: he handled the chanting well, nodding and smiling; he might have done like an "ok, ok" thing (he took his lumps like a man).

To sum up: a fun night that I will remember for a long time.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

About the seats: this game was in the "old" Boston Garden, which had been built in the 1920s primarily with boxing in mind. I don't recall the section number where we sat, but I tell you this (no lie): we had a balcony hanging low over us and could only see one of the baskets. (Adam Sandler's SNL bit about going to a game at the Garden in a section that was actually inside a boiler room is not as big an exaggeration as you might think).
    Your seat description brings back memories. My uncle's seats, which I sat in most of the time were at mid-court in the stadium under the overhang you describe. I was in the section right behind where Red was, though he was in the loge. I remember having to lean a little forward and down to see the the 24 second clock. The seats were $18 per ticket for the regular season, while the seats in the row in front of me, which could see the 24 second clock, were $32 - it was the best bargain around.

I was also lucky enough to sit in the loge on the bench side, in row 4, a couple of times a year. My mother's boyfriend's sisters had season tickets. The row was memorable because it was the row directly in front of the row with all the Celtic's wives and girlfriends. Some funny conversations over the year. I can remember one conversation around XMAS time and Parish's wife was talking about how she bought him 450 CDs - CDs were all the rage in the mid 80s.

I was also lucky enough be at Bird Night, the special retirement ceremony for Bird. Magic was there, in a Celtics shirt no less. I got a swag bag of stuff that night too. My brush with fame that night came in the form of a handshake with Jack Nicholson (can't believe we let that Laker's fan in the building) and with Kevin Costner (he stardom was on the rise). My buddy and I just happened to be hanging out near a roped off area and got lucky.

Lastly, my mother used to run a Montessori school in Milton, MA and one of the children that attended the school was the son of Larry Moulter who ran the old Boston Garden and was part of the team that brought us the new one I hate. They used to do auctions each year. When I graduated high school in 1982 my mother won one of the auctions as a present for me. I got to bring 9 friends to play basketball on the legendary parquet and we got to shower/change in the visitor's locker room. Oh, and I have a framed piece of the parquet that came with the auction. What a day! I felt bad for her though because she really wanted to bid on a night with Bobby Orr in the Bruins box seats. The things mothers do for their sons.

Cantankerous? Me?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...it was the row directly in front of the row with all the Celtic's wives and girlfriends. Some funny conversations over the year. I can remember one conversation around XMAS time and Parish's wife was talking about how she bought him 450 CDs - CDs were all the rage in the mid 80s.
    That must've been great, all those conversations.

450 CDs! Sounds like a nice Christmas for Chief.

I was also lucky enough be at Bird Night, the special retirement ceremony for Bird. Magic was there, in a Celtics shirt no less. I got a swag bag of stuff that night too. My brush with fame that night came in the form of a handshake with Jack Nicholson (can't believe we let that Laker's fan in the building) and with Kevin Costner (he stardom was on the rise). My buddy and I just happened to be hanging out near a roped off area and got lucky.
    I attended Bird Night as well (still have the swag somewhere), but no brush with fame for me (sounds great though).

The way in which I bought a ticket was mildly amusing (at least to me): tickets were scooped up immediately so I had to call a ticket agent; they had two tiers of tickets available: $250 and $450. I quickly said 'no' and hung up - $250 to attend a ceremony? For real? I then spent two minutes thinking about Bird's entire career, called back, and bought one ticket - for $450.

...Lastly, my mother used to run a Montessori school in Milton, MA and one of the children that attended the school was the son of Larry Moulter who ran the old Boston Garden and was part of the team that brought us the new one I hate. They used to do auctions each year. When I graduated high school in 1982 my mother won one of the auctions as a present for me. I got to bring 9 friends to play basketball on the legendary parquet and we got to shower/change in the visitor's locker room. Oh, and I have a framed piece of the parquet that came with the auction. What a day! I felt bad for her though because she really wanted to bid on a night with Bobby Orr in the Bruins box seats.
    What a gift; what a great mother (sounds like she truly deserved the Bobby Orr night).

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Cantankerous? Me?
    Characterized as such by me with love for my MassHole brethren.

Im not from N.E. I grew up in the South and switched to the home town team when they arrived, but when I was a young-un I rooted for the Boston Celtics, the greatest basketball team of all time and Larry Bird, the greatest player of all time.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

+ Reply to Thread