Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Hateful Eight

15 62.50%
  • Captain America: Civil War

9 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 5 - Group 10 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 5 - Group 10 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Hateful Eight (2015)
    Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Watch Trailer

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

THE
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CIVIL WAR... HATE 8!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hateful 8 by 25 Spider-Mans. Civil War is easily the most overrated MCU film.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Hell no, Civil War is top 10 MCU. Its in my personal top 5, probably. Yes that big fight at the end -while a visually amazing spectacle- amounted to little more than a super powered pillow fight. The emotional stakes were never higher until Infinity War/Endgame rolled around. It was also great to see the conflicting ideologies of Stark and Rogers and how their inability to come to agreement meant collateral damage on both sides. Plus, did I mention how great the action was!?!?

Now having said THAT, I voted for Hateful Eight. H8 is a masterful blend of dialogue, eye-catching cinematography, and tension building leading to a bloody climax. in true Tarantino style.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Hell no, Civil War is top 10 MCU. Its in my personal top 5, probably. Yes that big fight at the end -while a visually amazing spectacle- amounted to little more than a super powered pillow fight. The emotional stakes were never higher until Infinity War/Endgame rolled around. It was also great to see the conflicting ideologies of Stark and Rogers and how their inability to come to agreement meant collateral damage on both sides. Plus, did I mention how great the action was!?!?
    Big rant about Civil War being a total mess in spoilers! because I'm kind of bored right now.

Spoiler:
    It had an overly convoluted plot and a villain with an unrealistic and ridiculous evil plan that it would have required literal Godlike abilities in order to orchestrate, which totally betrays the human motivations behind it - the entire breaking point between Cap and Tony is meant to be Bucky killed Tony's parents on some in the woods security camera from 30 years before that Zemo somehow knew about? How did he even get it? And if Bucky was aware of the camera enough to shoot it AFTER it filmed him setting up the mock car accident, why wouldn't he retrieve the tape? Wouldn't someone investigating the scene noticed signs of foul play? Death by stangling? A security camera aimed at the wreck with a bullet hole in it one ever checking on it? Some say he knows because of Natasha dumping all the HYDRA information on the internet...so no one else in the whole world knew about Howard Stark despite it being publicly available, including Tony? It's so stupid that it ruined the entire film for me.

It ended strong when we finally got that Iron Man vs. Cap/Bucky fight. Everything before that though felt like a lot of effects and sound that really meant nothing. The conflict between Cap and Stark's ideologies didn't even make sense. Mr. You Can't Control Me Tony Stark is suddenly all "Control me!" and his reasoning is awful and he shifts the blame from himself to everyone else. He cries about some kid who died in Sokovia as a reason because "We dropped a building on him". No Tony, YOU created Ultron, who tried to end the world and to stop it "we" had to drop a building on a kid. It would be one thing if if Tony's "I'm trying to take responsibility for my actions" actually involved him actually taking responsibility for his own actions; Tony just wants to pass the buck and he's the true villain of the film, which would be a great story if that's the story they actually intended to tell. But considering he's still self-righteously arrogant about how he was right in future films, he clearly didn't learn anything.

And why does he want to kill Bucky so bad at the end? Clearly he knows he was brain washed and didn't choose to kill his parents, and her certainly didn't choose to become The Winter Soldier, as he was the victim of enemy forces during a war, unlike Steve Rogers who chose to become Captain America. You'd think a guy who literally creates AI to do what he tells it to do would have some sympathy for a man who is programmed to do what is told of him, but no. Basically, none of the emotional stakes work for me at all. They're super forced and illogical and I usually forgive logic, but when a film is this plot driven, everything kind of hinges on the story logic and it just isn't there. Add in the overstuffed nature of shoving in both introduction arcs for Black Planther and Spider-Man and the whole film is just lacking focus.

What was the collateral damage on both sides? There were zero consequences to the film other than War Machine getting paralyzed and he's practically walking again 15 minutes later. The people on Caps side all get imprisoned, but they're broken out by the end of the movie. The movie feels utterly redundant at the end. It seems to serve no more purpose to future films than a little backstory why Cap and Iron Man broke up or why Ant-Man was on house arrest in a future movie. I'm not saying every MCU movie needs to have lasting ramifications on future films, but for a film about a literal superhero civil war with people taking sides and fighting each other over major conflicting ideologies, there is not even close to enough lasting ramifications to even call it a civil war. Heck, Captain America is even like "Hey Tony, I know like your AI and weapons and tech is a constant threat to the world and you blame me for that, and you want to kill my best friend for being programmed to do things against his will, and you got our friends locked up in prison, but I forgive you and I'll be there if you need me" so even that rift is basically solved by the end. No "What does this rift mean for The Avengers? Will they ever make up? And what will happen to these imprisoned people? Will War Machine ever recover from this battle? What consequences will this have on the rest of the world? Find out...right now!

They would've been smart to focus this movie simply on the internal conflicts and not bog it down Spider-Man and Black Panther who had their introduction films coming out soon anyways. And it sure as heck was not a Captain America movie, which automatically hurts it after The Winter Soldier. I wanted another great Captain America movie not...this. It should've just been called Civil War, but as a Captain America film I have to judge it against The Winter Soldier and it's simply a no contest for me...it's a 5/5 versus a 2.5/5. I mean, the movie itself isn't bad. There's some good action scenes (the Swat scene really reminded me of The Winter Soldier and it was well done and there were some nice character moments along the way. Zemo was an interesting choice for a villain compared to most of the MCU villains and Bruhl played him well even if his plan was ridiculous. The airport fight was fun, sure, but it totally contrasted with the serious nature of the rest of the film and made their conflict seem like a giant joke not worth taking seriously when it is the most serious thing in the film's world. Civil War it is such a frustrating film to watch. It could have been great, since The Russos clearly know what they're doing with the MCU. I guess I'm just not a big enough MCU fan to forgive this misguided film. If it was more streamlinef, grittier, and characters motivations for why they chose sides were better expressed and the narrative was tighter and more focused on the core conflict, it could've be fantastic.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah I'm way too lazy to read that rn

I'll reply in the morning

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Hateful Eight moves on and Captain America: Civil War is eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread