25. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Quiet Place

14 56.00%
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

11 44.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 5 - Group 8 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 5 - Group 8 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

A Quiet Place (2018)
    Directed by John Krasinski

Watch Trailer

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

AQP
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A Quiet Place was a flawless movie. In the theatre... I stopped eating my popcorn during the parts with no sounds... it was JUST too loud. Never had that kind of memorable experience from a theatre.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    A Quiet Place was a flawless movie. In the theatre... I stopped eating my popcorn during the parts with no sounds... it was JUST too loud. Never had that kind of memorable experience from a theatre.
    It's certainly a flawed film, but it's well-executed.

The Winter Soldier however is only a couple degrees south of flawless.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

How is that a flawed film yet you think Walking Dead is not a flawed show? lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

When did I ever say Walking Dead is not a flawed show? Pretty sure I literally just posted last week about how underwhelming the S10 finale was.

Enjoying something despite its flaws isn't an admission of flawlessness, it's enjoying it for what it is; that's how one has to watch A Quiet Place because the flaws don't really impact the stengths. I could easily drop 10,000 words on the problems with seasons 6-8 of TWD.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A Quiet Place.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Agree with both of these sentiments. The thing that WS has going for it is that its a perfectly paced espionage-thriller with interesting things to say about government oversight and the clash of black & white morals against gray.

That the action is so expertly executed is just the cherry on top.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This was a very tough choice. Marvel delivered an expert espionage thriller with some of the best hand to hand fighting choreographed sequences in the MCU. The good guys do win in the end but it almost feels like a loss with how dour the ending is and the more I've watched it, the more I appreciate it the depth of it.

It was really a 50/50 choice for me, could have gone either way.

A Quiet Place did an excellent job at supplying tension and even sheer dread in some scenes and the little girl is a natural, she stole my heart. I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be a sequel because the first was so good but alas....

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted A Quiet Place. Not because I loved it (I thought it was "pretty good"), but almost as a protest against yet another comic book movie. I liked Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I own the DVD and have seen it a couple of times. In all honesty, I'd rank it higher than A Quiet Place. But god damn if I'm going to vote for another comic book movie. Enough is enough.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I voted A Quiet Place. Not because I loved it (I thought it was "pretty good"), but almost as a protest against yet another comic book movie. I liked Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I own the DVD and have seen it a couple of times. In all honesty, I'd rank it higher than A Quiet Place. But god damn if I'm going to vote for another comic book movie. Enough is enough.
    Thank you, I'm so over the comic book films. Then again I know I'm in the minority here as they're just not my thing. As the films dwindle down, there's less and less films that I actually enjoy left for me to vote for. I have a feeling that come the finale I probably won't even be voting.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

LOL Why are you so up set about that? Honest question.. you seem really mad about it
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I have a feeling that come the finale I probably won't even be voting.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ha! Not mad at all. Just putting my stake in the ground. I'd just rather see a Tarantino, or a Nolan, or an clever indie/drama/thriller/what-have-you move forward. I mean, I like a lot of the comic book stuff. It's good, but it's fluff. Nothing wrong with enjoying a Hostess Twinkie, but if the dessert spread contains chef's special crème brule or special blueberry crêpes, I'm not opting for the Twinkie.

Country
    Country Flag

Ha! Not mad at all. Just putting my stake in the ground. I'd just rather see a Tarantino, or a Nolan, or an clever indie/drama/thriller/what-have-you move forward. I mean, I like a lot of the comic book stuff. It's good, but it's fluff. Nothing wrong with enjoying a Hostess Twinkie, but if the dessert spread contains chef's special crème brule or special blueberry crêpes, I'm not opting for the Twinkie.
    Thank you for the response. I like it... makes sense and a great frame of mind here.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

That seems odd. If it's a good movie, then it's a good movie. Who cares what type of movie it is?

That's like not voting for a movie because it's a horror movie or a comedy or whatever...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been wondering how many people have been voting against super hero movies because there are so many. Really surprised that neither Avengers IW or EG made it to this round.

There are currently 7 super hero movies in this round (did not count Joker, because he has no super powers, and this movie could stand alone outside DC universe).

Of these 7 super hero movies, 5 are currently losing and don't appear to have a chance at a comeback. The other two, must be coming in tomorrows polls. That would be Deadpool and Avengers. So it is very possible to not have any in the top 16 of the decade.

(ironically Deadpool is the only superhero movie in this tournament I haven't seen)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

And Still Servant was worried the playoffs would be all MCU...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's called MCU fatigue.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And Still Servant was worried the playoffs would be all MCU...
    I was. I still am. I have seen every Marvel film and enjoyed almost every single one of them. That being said, I rarely feel the need to go back and watch them again. That's what I use to vote in these tournaments. Which films have I watched more than once, or would like to watch again.

In this case, I've seen A Quiet Place twice and own the Blu-ray. It's an easy choice for me.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Plus I own the movie mylar. I just love that film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Me too. I cannot freaking wait for the new one BUT I hope they wait for the theatre. It HAS to be seen there !!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It was supposed to be released on my birthday March 23rd. My sister and I had the whole night planned.

Country
    Country Flag

It was supposed to be released on my birthday March 23rd. My sister and I had the whole night planned.
    Me and a few friends had the moving seats reserved far in advance for that night to.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Love this. I'm also dying to see the sequel. Sucks it didn't come out last fall.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast