Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amaranthine Books

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Amaranthine Books

I wanted to post some general news from Amaranthine Books (https://amaranthinebooks.com/) but didn't see a dedicated thread (please merge or delete if I am mistaken). AB has been mentioned in other threads and some people here own some of their work (hopefully they can post some here as well so that those still unaware of AB’s work can see what the fuss is all about).

They will begin using lettered and numbered designations for future editions:
    https://amaranthinebooks.com/the-rights-stuff/
    https://amaranthinebooks.com/about/matching-rights/

...and they have a new title in preproduction that has yet to be named.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I'll copy my post from the Other Authors thread...

Okay, here goes!

Like I said, I ordered a copy of the Scholomance Edition on Sunday night. It was dispatched the following morning and in my hands by Tuesday afternoon. Less than forty hours from order to delivery; I know some companies that can learn a thing or two from that. *cough cough*

I bought this book to replace my copy of the Centipede Press edition. That allowed me to cover some of the cost of this edition, which is admittedly quite high. Is the book itself worth €299? Are the upgrades of the Scholomance Edition worth another €450? I don't know... It is certainly a unique book and I feel like I got my money's worth - but for me, it was not €749 for a new book, but rather around €200 for an upgrade from the CP edition.

This is the most expensive book I ever bought directly from a publisher. Even Suntup's Rosemary's Baby was cheaper. Although that book has fewer gimmicks, it does have a couple of signatures, letterpress printing and high-quality paper. I guess what I'm saying is this: this book is undeniably very expensive, but also a joy to (be)hold. Everyone thinking of buying a copy should ask themselves how much unicity is worth to them. Then again, that goes for all the books we collect. Hell, Dracula is in the public domain, which means any amount you spend on it, no matter how small, is "wasted" to some extent.

I'm rambling... On to the pictures!

Here's the book in its case:

Here's a close-up of the clasp used to close the lid. It's remarkably intricate:

The publisher's logo on the front of the box (it also appears like this elsewhere), with a bat hanging upside down. A nice touch, I think:

The plexiglass window with the dirt behind it. I was surprised to see that they didn't pack it tightly in there. I would say it's about a centimetre deep and when you move the box, the dirt shifts around. Pretty cool!

(By the way, I did some research on Google and Wikipedia. Turns out the place where this dirt is from, Bran Castle in Romania, has no real connection whatsoever with Dracula or Bram Stoker, other than tourism. The book's description of Dracula's castle does not match the design of Bran Castle and it's unclear if Stoker even knew of this place's existence. However, it is located in Transylvania, so for the stated purpose - letting Dracula rest on his native soil - it "counts," as it were.)

The material used for the cover of the book itself is incredibly soft and has a lovely vibrant colour. It's the kind of fabric you can draw on, if you know what I mean:

Endpapers:

The title page with the bloody calligraphy. This was a major selling point for me. I love the creepiness of it. I got number 6/50 (stated here on this page and engraved into the side of the box's interior):

Table of contents. The afterword contains pretty much the same information that is already available on the publisher's website. They explain their creative process clearly, which I enjoy reading about. Another nice touch: the book's text ends on page 666. That cannot be a coincidence...

Another nice touch: whenever there is an illustration, the respective piece of text is highlighted in bold, so you know what you're looking at. Small detail, but I like it.

I love the illustrations in this edition. The ones in the Centipede Press edition are nice, but I was never a fan of the faces of the human characters. They look too happy and upbeat, considering their situation. The illustrations in this edition are far more gritty.

Last batch of pictures to illustrate another nice touch. Seeing as how this is an epistolary novel, it consists entirely of diary fragments, letters, etc. They included little illustrations next to each section. There are dozens of these throughout the book:

Overall, I am very impressed with Amaranthine Books' quality of service and the book itself. I'll be keeping a close eye on what they do next.

That's all, folks!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another feature, not mentioned in the above description is that each illustration is glow-in-the-dark (including the cover).

There is a certificate of authenticity that the dirt is from Bran Castl it also has the limitation for the dirt sample and is dated. It is signed by someone from Bran Castle and Amaranthine books.

Also not mentioned, (although pictured) is that it has a ribbon marker, and the page edges are gilded black.

I have 21/50 and one of the Transylvania editions (didn't notice any number, so did they not number them?)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know many people posted about Dracula in other threads too - but Alice goes up for public sale tomorrow @ 7 PM CET / 1300 EST / 1000 PST - they look to be beautiful editions

https://amaranthinebooks.com

https://fb.watch/2xZ2JpSi90/
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would be curious to see how long it takes to sell out
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alice is priced similarly to Lyra's Stardust - more copies...and his books are not as well known - smaller following for now. The high end Dracula was more (had 50 copies) and sold out. The lower priced Dracula (was less than Alice) but had 666 copies - is still available...unsure how many of those sold. But I am guessing if people liked the quality of Dracula - they'll get the numbered edition - so I think it will sell out...the question is how long? I will guess at a couple of days...
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Would be curious to see how long it takes to sell out
    I dont think it will for some time. Most of their past stuff seems still available on the site to... Interesting books for sure though.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The Bandersnatch edition is quite extraordinary. Certainly a unique and impressive production. Certainly, if someone enjoys high end chess sets, and are a fan of the books and this publisher, I could see them going for it.

I like that publishers are pushing the envelope with respect to their productions. It’s not something I would ever own; personally, I prefer editions where the book itself doesn’t get quite so lost among the packaging and accoutrements. But seeing publishers spare no expense in realizing a vision they have for a limited edition is fun to see.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow. I liked their Dracula enough to buy it (but just barely, at a sale price of $225). This is an easy pass for me. Interesting how books are suddenly skyrocketing in price- in the middle of world economic chaos.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I heard half sold. That is not a good show
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SOLD SOLD SOLD Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-Two Edition Set (Amaranthine Books) - $145 Shipped to U.S.
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    That's not terrible. It may take some time, but I think they will be fine.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I agree, half sold in seven hours ain't bad at all.
    Also you gotta admit it's a pretty impressive looking release, I'm sold, I bought one.
    (also free shipping)

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

It is very nicely done imho.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Along the Path of the Beam kkemikk will become famous soon enough kkemikk's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would personally like to see that more of the costs would go into the book itself not only everything that surrounds it. Books from numbered and lettered state are basically the same apart from different cover colour and endpapers.
    Although the presentation looks stunning, I have a feeling it's more about the chess piece with included book that the other way around....

Country
    Country Flag

Just compare this sale with any King sale, suntup sale
    And the latest newbie on the block... Lyra.
    This is not a great success any way you you look at it guys... sorry.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Also you gotta admit it's a pretty impressive looking release, I'm sold, I bought one.
    (also free shipping)
    Just wanted to clarify, I purchased the numbered not the lettered.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

(also free shipping)
    Just wanted to clarify, I purchased the numbered not the lettered.
    Oh that’s ok. I agree with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those are mighty big shoes to fill.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

A first day sellout is far from normal or average for a small publisher. Ask cemetery dance, subterranean press, PS publishing, etc how often they sell half the copies on day 1 for any title - especially one with no author signature. It’s not often. Yet, those titles are not considered “failures” by any measure.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    A first day sellout is far from normal or average for a small publisher. Ask cemetery dance, subterranean press, PS publishing, etc how often they sell half the copies on day 1 for any title - especially one with no author signature. It’s not often. Yet, those titles are not considered “failures” by any measure.
    In the early days of Suntup either.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Great point. I still think this production will
    Not appeal to book collectors.
    Chess set collectors maybe... and I never called it a failure just not a great success.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Along the Path of the Beam kkemikk will become famous soon enough kkemikk's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I received my copy of Alice – Jabberwock Edition and it is stunning.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, stunning
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast