Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2020 (Because 2020 Hasn't Been Scary Enough!)

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Is this the new one? I didn't really care for it.
    Yes, the newest. Having watched many of the Grudge films over the years, I didn't find this one that low in the franchise.
    I've watched some pure dumpster trash films over the years, so this is pretty good compared to those.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Hubie Halloween last night. Knowing that Sandler films are pretty hit or miss, I was hoping for a light comedy with some laughs and Halloween atmosphere. The Halloween atmosphere and overall seasonal vibe is definitely there, but that's really one of the only good things I can say about the movie. The plot was so all over the place: There's an escaped mental patient on the loose! Is Sandler's neighbor a werewolf? There's people disappearing from town! There's just so much going on that it feels like they just threw plot points at the wall and saw what stuck. And don't get me started on that WTF climax where Hubie's mom
    Spoiler:
    kidnaps Hubie's bullies and...proceeds to burn them at the stake?!

It's also super tonally inconsistent. Am I supposed to laugh at how unbelievably awful the entire town treats Hubie? I get the message that they were going for with the forgiveness angle but it feels nasty that his bullies only like him when Hubie has something to offer them. Kind of like how Santa treats Rudolph in the Rankin-Bass special. It doesn't help that the voice Sandler chose for Hubie is so awfully grating.

There were some laugh-out-loud moments, and I enjoyed the cameos throughout, but I'm disappointed that this wasn't better.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Just rewatched The Autopsy of Jane Doe. What a great movie to watch with all the lights out!
    Watched it yesterday. Really good even though the end felt rushed.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Oct 17 Casper $$$ When my kids got bored with it, I kept watching.

Oct 17 Black Christmas 2019 * $$ It had some good moments, but it was too heavy handed in it's message to be a fun watch.

Oct 18 Friday The 13th The Final Chapter * $$ A lot of killing and nudity. Watching this by myself was kinda boring.

Oct 19 Books of Blood 2020 * $$$ A couple of connected stories. No comedy, and that's usually how I like my horror. No corners cut here on budget or acting.

Oct 20 All Hallows Eve * $$$ Low budget anthology with strange presentation. There are plenty of cheap horror anthologies out there, but the low budget look works in it's favor here.

[Disclaimer: These are of course just my opinions]

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Oct 21 Death House * $$ Back when SyFy channel was The Sci-Fi Channel, they used to make respectable movies. This would have been one of those, but with language and nudity.

Oct 22 Lovely Molly * $$$ Typical story of moving into a house and being possessed. But the acting and story are pretty believable. I think I'll probably watch this again sooner than later.

Oct 23 Nightbreed: Director's Cut $$$ I never saw the theatrical cut, and I probably never will. This is like Little Monsters for adults, if that makes sense.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Blood Fest the other night and really enjoyed it. It's a horror-comedy that I'd describe as Cabin in the Woods meets Scream meets Hell Fest.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

This was a fun watch: Conjuring Universe Featurette. Includes some footage of The Conjuring 3.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D * $$ I liked this story better
    Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust * $$ but I liked this animation better

Oct 25 Unfriended * $$ Everything about this was just okay, bordered on the bad.

Oct 26 Evil Dead II $$$ I like all the Evil Dead movies.

Oct 27 Friday The 13th V: The New Beginning * $$$ Found this one to have a decent story in the timeline.

Oct 28 Highway to Hell * $$$ Thought is was pretty good. It's somewhere between the movies Monkeybone and Wristcutters.

Oct 28 Body Melt * $$$ Australian version of a David Cronenberg movie.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Late to the game this year because my October has been terrible but showed Hush to my friend, second time watching it and still really good.

Last night, during a tropical storm no less, watched Demons and can we please have more movies with people on motorcycles riding through movie theaters hacking demons up with a samurai sword please? Probably my tenth time seeing it since childhood, such a fun movie.

Then I watched Tenebrae again. Argento rules!

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone have any movies (or any other cool Halloween things) lined up for the big day tomorrow? I decided not to put out my big pumpkin display this year or give out candy, so I'm kind of bummed about that. But movie-watching and dessert face-stuffing should make up for it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Witches on HBO Max!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

No plans here other than staying in and watching Halloween. After our first snowstorm today, I think tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Might go for a drive and pick up another pumpkin to carve, and roast some more seeds. Also picked up stuff to make pumpkin banana bread tomorrow morning. And I'll probably spend some time reading Rosemary's Baby
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

First...snowstorm?! What the hell? Is that normal for you guys up there this early?

Also, that sounds like an amazing day. I'll be over at 12 for banana bread. I think I might carve a pumpkin also. And I got a recipe for apple cider that I think I'm gonna try tomorrow.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well thankfully it wasn't much, we only got maybe 2" but its about all gone now. 9 years ago we got hit with a massive snowstorm a few days before Halloween, took down trees and wires. I think we were without power for almost a week. It was horrible. Thankfully this wasn't bad.

Good luck on the apple cider. I made some for the first time the other week. I followed a recipe but it came out super spicy. I think it was a tablespoon of cloves which was way too much. I'd recommend going easy on the spices as you simmer it and then adding more later on if needed. I also made pumpkin pie for the very first time earlier this week and that came out delicious. I just finished it up tonight but I'm already ready to make another one

Country
    Country Flag

I think two inches is more than we got all of last year. Haha. But a massive storm this early in the season would've been awful for sure. And who the hell is ready to enjoy snow in October?

Yeah, a whole tablespoon of cloves does sound like a lot. I'm not a big fan of adding 'em into things (unless it's mixed in with other warm spices) so I think I'm just going to do cinnamon and maybe some allspice. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've also been on a pumpkin baking kick as well. Last weekend I made a pumpkin dump cake (the bottom layer is like a pumpkin pie, the top is kind of like a cake-y crumble) and fried up some pumpkin donut holes. They were good but not as good as Dunkin's.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year I did get some pumpkin donuts from a local orchard but they were just ok.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year
    Who are you and what have you done with Heather?!

My brain...does...not...compute. Can't...process...
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

His House on Netflix is messing with me right now, great use of light and dark and a very spooky story, I can dig it!

Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year
    Who are you and what have you done with Heather?!

My brain...does...not...compute. Can't...process...
    Damn covid. But on the plus side its turning me into a baker. Apple cider, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread just went in the oven. Also Hocus Pocus is about to start so I'm in full Autumn/Halloween mode right now

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    His House on Netflix is messing with me right now, great use of light and dark and a very spooky story, I can dig it!
    Sounds good, will have to check it out.

Country
    Country Flag

I've heard good things about this but the trailer didn't grab me for some reason. So I should watch it?

Damn covid. But on the plus side its turning me into a baker. Apple cider, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread just went in the oven. Also Hocus Pocus is about to start so I'm in full Autumn/Halloween mode right now
    That's a big plus side, I'd say!

And I just finished up my apple cider and it turned out amazing! I did maybe 1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of dried cloves and that was plenty. I think I did 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I even made apple sauce from the broken down apples afterwards.

Oh! And I listened to that Elvira podcast, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

So glad yours came out well. And maybe I'm not a baker after all, the pumpkin bread was a bust. I followed a recipe for banana and pumpkin which said to cook for 40 min, well 40 min it was still very wet inside, so I let it cook and cook and cook. About an hour and a half goes by, the top is cooked but the inside was still not. I pulled it out thinking maybe it would firm up, which it did, but it also completely deflated and when I cut into it it still seems as if its not fully cooked. I have no idea who wrote this recipe but they were way off.

In other news we ended up watching Psycho last night

I've heard good things about this but the trailer didn't grab me for some reason. So I should watch it?
    I'm not sure of your specific tastes and I try to avoid trailers for horror films since they give stuff away but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't know if that helps or not....

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched original and 2018 Halloween movies last night. What a treat!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Country
    Country Flag

So glad yours came out well. And maybe I'm not a baker after all, the pumpkin bread was a bust. I followed a recipe for banana and pumpkin which said to cook for 40 min, well 40 min it was still very wet inside, so I let it cook and cook and cook. About an hour and a half goes by, the top is cooked but the inside was still not. I pulled it out thinking maybe it would firm up, which it did, but it also completely deflated and when I cut into it it still seems as if its not fully cooked. I have no idea who wrote this recipe but they were way off.

In other news we ended up watching Psycho last night
    Aw, bummer. Sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. I use my grandma's pumpkin bread recipe and it's the best I've had (and super easy to make). I'll have to send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Watched original and 2018 Halloween movies last night. What a treat!
    That's cool to do them back-to-back like that. I haven't seen them this year. There's too much to watch!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast