Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2020 (Because 2020 Hasn't Been Scary Enough!)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Halloween Horror-thon 2020 (Because 2020 Hasn't Been Scary Enough!)

I don't know about you guys but 2020 has made me ready for Halloween faster than I've ever been. I think we all need something to look forward to so let's kick off the fun a little earlier!

What's everyone planning on watching this season? With the virus kind of ruining all the theatrical releases we might've had this year, I mostly have stuff that I missed out on last year. Quarantine gave me a lot of time to catch up on some of the older films on my horror list.

For movies, I'd like to get to: Drag Me to Hell, It (re-watch), It Chapter 2, Happy Death Day 2 U, The Addams Family (animated), and maybe The Invisible Man. Also gotta re-watch Halloween (1978 and 2018) and maybe the Scream series.

On the TV front, I'm watching Ratched now and am definitely going to check out The Haunting of Bly Manor. I'd also like to (finally) get to American Horror Story: Hotel and maybe Slasher.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I always find time to re-watch classic Carpenter. Watched The Thing today. I'll watch the original Halloween, Halloween III, and The Fog. I'll cycle thru all the Halloween movies except the Rob Zombie things. I might re-watch Stranger Things season 2. I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena. The Haunting of Bly Manor does look intriguing, I might check it out as well.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I plan on watching *Salem’s Lot (1979), *The Conjuring 1 & 2, Insidious 1 & 2, The VVitch, Trick ‘r Treat, Let the Right One In, and *Near Dark if I can find a way to watch it. (*) = first time viewing.
    Currently looking for:
    ‘salem’s Lot (Illustrated), F/F

Future wishlist:
    Gunslinger, Grant 2nd, F/F
    DT II-IV, Grant 1st, F/F

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've already started on my Halloween reads, but I haven't really thought about what films to watch this year. I always watch the original Halloween, and Kenny and Company has also become another annual watch for us as well. I'd love to watch some of the classic universal monster movies this year. And then of course all of the Halloween food shows and I do have Ratched and Haunting of Bly Manor on my list.

I did just watch Frankenweenie along with the original short. It had been forever since I watched the original, that I forgot a lot of the actors that were in it. Such a great little film.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena.
    I watched Fantasy Island a few months ago and there was a lot going on in that movie plot-wise. It wasn't bad, but it's like they had four ideas and crammed them all into one movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'd love to watch some of the classic universal monster movies this year. And then of course all of the Halloween food shows
    I watched The Creature From the Black Lagoon and The Mummy for the first time during quarantine and was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. It was also cool to watch Creature From the Black Lagoon having already seen The Shape of Water and seeing what elements inspired del Toro.

And yeah, can't forget about all those Food Network shows!

Oh, and I watched Elvira's Haunted Hills last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one but it was a fun satire of the old Edgar Allan Poe/Hammer movies.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I should give it another watch, it's been so long.

I love Creature From the Black Lagoon. That's such a good one. I think I've seen all of the first films, and maybe Bride of Frankenstein? But it's been quite some time so I don't remember too much about a lot of them.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    I always find time to re-watch classic Carpenter. Watched The Thing today. I'll watch the original Halloween, Halloween III, and The Fog. I'll cycle thru all the Halloween movies except the Rob Zombie things. I might re-watch Stranger Things season 2. I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena. The Haunting of Bly Manor does look intriguing, I might check it out as well.
    Oh yeah. That’s a great idea. Love me some John carpenter spooky.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Woot woot! The 8th Annual Shannon and Rose Halloween Spooktacular is coming up! I love coming up with the schedule as much as watching the movies. We'll be doing that this week. The only "tradition" movies we watch every year are Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll probably just watch Haunting of Hill House and whatever the follow up is called because Turn of the Screw is fantastic.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Woot woot! The 8th Annual Shannon and Rose Halloween Spooktacular is coming up! I love coming up with the schedule as much as watching the movies. We'll be doing that this week. The only "tradition" movies we watch every year are Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.
    Is that just one day, or the whole season? That's awesome that she's into those kind of movies at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'll probably just watch Haunting of Hill House and whatever the follow up is called because Turn of the Screw is fantastic.
    Bly Manor!

And will this be your first viewing of Hill House?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Bly Manor!

And will this be your first viewing of Hill House?

Yes. I'm a huge Flanagan Flan so I've been letting it marinate, but watching both series back-to-back sounds like a good take. I've been meaning to rewatch Oculus and I haven't rewatched Gerald's Game yet, and I want to see the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep, so maybe I'll just have myself a Mike Flanagan fest.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Kicked off the season early with the classic My Bloody Valentine.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Getting my list started...

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone watching Ratched?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone watching Ratched?
    Has that Ryan Murphy look, that's for sure. Haven't watched it myself. I enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure I have the interest for a series based on the Ratched character.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Oct 1 Tusk $$$$ The guest star is a little odd, but other than that, I find this film pretty crazy. There is a bonus feature with the podcast where Kevin Smith comes up with the story beat-by-beat for the film on the spot. I'm fairly sure he's hitting the bowl during this

I loved Tusk, such a fun movie.

We started off Oct watching Don't Look Now. I swear I've seen this movie on lots of best horror lists, but it was a bit odd and I wasn't really a fan of it. I saw it's based on a book by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm curious to read that as I like her and the story line wasn't bad, but the filming and pacing of the movie was just weird. For instance the film starts with 2 kids, a boy and girl, but the boy suddenly disappears for most of the film. I was confused forever on who the boy was thinking it was the son, but the movie is just following the parents of the dead girl and he's no where to be seen or even mentioned. Until at least halfway thru we find out he's back home being watched over by someone else. Then there was that very long sex scene which is interspersed with shots of them getting ready afterwards.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Has that Ryan Murphy look, that's for sure. Haven't watched it myself. I enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure I have the interest for a series based on the Ratched character.
    I finished it last night. You're right--it definitely that that Ryan Murphy look and feel. I feel like a lot of his projects have the same highs and lows. Highs: casting, production design, lighting, costuming. Lows: writing, too many plot threads. Overall I enjoyed Ratched. I didn't know it was already picked up for a second season so my subtle grievances about the finale aren't so strong.

We started off Oct watching Don't Look Now. I swear I've seen this movie on lots of best horror lists, but it was a bit odd and I wasn't really a fan of it. I saw it's based on a book by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm curious to read that as I like her and the story line wasn't bad, but the filming and pacing of the movie was just weird. For instance the film starts with 2 kids, a boy and girl, but the boy suddenly disappears for most of the film. I was confused forever on who the boy was thinking it was the son, but the movie is just following the parents of the dead girl and he's no where to be seen or even mentioned. Until at least halfway thru we find out he's back home being watched over by someone else. Then there was that very long sex scene which is interspersed with shots of them getting ready afterwards.
    I've had this one on my list for years but have never gotten around to it. So would you not recommend it?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Unfortunately I wouldn't. Maybe I was more disappointed with it than I should have been since I was expecting this great horror film. But I feel like there was a bit of confusion with a lack of explanation on a lot of things. I'm really curious to read the book however. Hopefully that will be better.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Leading up to Oct.

31 days of Horror

Oct 2 White Noise * $$$ I thought I watched this back when it first came out, but I didn't remember any of it while watching. Had so jump scares that worked really good. It was refreshing to watch this after years of Ghost Hunters and the like, (I really despise that guy.)

Oct 3 The Forest * $$ Unique location with an okay story. Natalie Dormer apparently has a lopsided face, and I'm not knocking her for it, but her smirk made most of the serious scenes not as believable. Although, she's not to blame for the story.

Oct 4 Demon City Shinjuku * $$$ Anime Horror. Some really cool monsters. This is by the Ninja Scrolls writer/director. Adult animation.

Oct 4 The Terror Within * $$ Hmmm, Alien, but on Earth, with a small budget. I'd like to see a 60 min version. This is OK as a low budget film.

Since I just finished reading a book about Salem, and I'm yearning to head out there this season but can't, I decided to revisit a Salem movie so I rewatched Lords of Salem. I enjoyed it way more on a second viewing. I remember watching it when it came out and liking it, but it was definitely at the bottom of my Rob Zombie list. This time I thought it was great. Not his best film by any means, but very enjoyable, and from a stylistic point of view I thought it was a beautifully shot film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Oct 3 The Forest * $$ Unique location with an okay story. Natalie Dormer apparently has a lopsided face, and I'm not knocking her for it, but her smirk made most of the serious scenes not as believable. Although, she's not to blame for the story.
    I hated The Forest. But you're right, it wasn't Dormer's fault the story wasn't great.

Since I just finished reading a book about Salem, and I'm yearning to head out there this season but can't, I decided to revisit a Salem movie so I rewatched Lords of Salem. I enjoyed it way more on a second viewing. I remember watching it when it came out and liking it, but it was definitely at the bottom of my Rob Zombie list. This time I thought it was great. Not his best film by any means, but very enjoyable, and from a stylistic point of view I thought it was a beautifully shot film.
    I think that one might be my least favorite Rob Zombie movie. If I had to rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Devil's Rejects
    2. Three from Hell
    3. House of 1000 Corpses
    4. 31
    5. Lords of Salem

I still haven't seen his Halloween re-makes yet.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that one might be my least favorite Rob Zombie movie. If I had to rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Devil's Rejects
    2. Three from Hell
    3. House of 1000 Corpses
    4. 31
    5. Lords of Salem

I still haven't seen his Halloween re-makes yet.
    Lords of Salem is actually my favorite of his films. I'm a sucker for witch movies. Haven't seen 3 From Hell yet.

My best to worst
    1. Lords of Salem (some of it was filmed in Salem and there is a novelization of it, [that I have not read.])
    2. House of 1000 Corpses & Devils Rejects (I haven't seen 3 From Hell yet.)
    3. Halloween 1 & 2 (these are brutal, he makes it the perspective of, what if Micheal Myers wasn't just a movie monster, but a really monster.)
    These other 2, I just don't like
    4. 31
    5. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (Couldn't even sit through the whole thing when I watched it 9 or 10 yrs ago.)

Since we're ranking films mine would be...

1. House of 1000 Corpses
    2. Devil's Rejects
    3. 31
    4. Halloween (I really enjoyed the first one)
    5. Lords of Salem
    6. Three From Hell

but honestly I really enjoyed all of the above, and depending on my mood some might switch places.

and then
    7. Halloween 2 (hated it, even watched it a second time and still didn't care for it)
    8. El Superbeasto (agree that this one was a struggle to watch)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast