4 14.29%
  • The Farewell

4 14.29%
  • The Wolf of Wall Street

18 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 32 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 32 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

13 Assassins (2010)
    Directed by Takashi Miike

Watch Trailer

Loving Vincent (2017)
    Directed by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman

Watch Trailer

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
    Directed by Rian Johnson

Watch Trailer

Joker (2019)
    Directed by Todd Phillips

Watch Trailer

Contagion (2011)
    Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Watch Trailer

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)
    Directed by Eli Craig

Watch Trailer

The Lobster (2015)
    Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos

Watch Trailer

Mustang (2015)
    Directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven

Watch Trailer

The Farewell (2019)
    Directed by Lulu Wang

Watch Trailer

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    Directed by Martin Scorsese

Watch Trailer

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Joker proving to be a potential powerhouse in this tournament.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seeing The Farewell tied for last here really breaks my heart. Have people just not seen it yet? I cried in the theater watching it as the credits rolled, and when making my best-of list for 2019, I really struggled between placing The Farewell or Parasite at #1. It's a tremendous film, it deserved to go much much farther.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Mae, can you please add a vote for Contagion for me. I must have missed it in this list. Thanks.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Mae, can you please add a vote for Contagion for me. I must have missed it in this list. Thanks.
    Added.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Thanks Mae

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Joker (78.57%)
    2. The Wolf of Wall Street (64.29%)
    3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (46.43%)
    4. Contagion (35.71%)
    5. 13 Assassins (21.43%)
    6. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (21.43%)

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Loving Vincent (17.86%)
    2. The Lobster (17.86%)
    3. Mustang (14.29%)
    4. The Farewell (14.29%)

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Lobster and Loving Vincent go down to Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil - WOW!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Lobster is next on my to-watch list, so I'll still watch it anyway.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Cool

Really glad Contagion made it to the next round.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    The Lobster and Loving Vincent go down to Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil - WOW!
    Not to mention, again, The Farewell

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched The Lobster last night. I really liked the premise and the absurdity of it all, and Colin and Rachel were very good, but I was underwhelmed overall. I've seen three of Yorgos's films and all his characters always seem emotionally distant. I think being unable to connect with them makes me unable to connect with his films as a whole in an engaging way. I'm sure that's his directorial style/mood choice, but it doesn't really do anything for me. And the music in this (as well as The Favourite) bugged the hell out of me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I watched The Lobster last night. I really liked the premise and the absurdity of it all, and Colin and Rachel were very good, but I was underwhelmed overall. I've seen three of Yorgos's films and all his characters always seem emotionally distant. I think being unable to connect with them makes me unable to connect with his films as a whole in an engaging way. I'm sure that's his directorial style/mood choice, but it doesn't really do anything for me. And the music in this (as well as The Favourite) bugged the hell out of me.
    That's the kind of stories he likes to tell. Think of him as Haneke's disciple, cold judges of humanity that they are. That disconnect between the audience and characters is pivotal to both their films.

Admittedly, they won't be for everyone.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I was a bit underwhelmed by The Lobster as well. What's the third film you've seen? I really enjoyed The Killing of a Sacred Deer.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

The Killing of a Sacred Deer was the first, and I watched The Favourite most recently, which I was expecting a lot more from after all the Oscars buzz it got.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Watch Dogtooth, his first film and my personal favorite of his.

Country
    Country Flag

Just added it to my queue!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

both Dogtooth and TKoaSD are superb and among my favorite films ever

that's the main reason why I am not in a hurry to watch his other films. Movies can hardly can get better than, or equal to, those two.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread