View Poll Results: Please choose one

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crazy Rich Asians

8 40.00%
  • The Death of Stalin

12 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32 - Tiebreaker

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32 - Tiebreaker

For the tiebreaker poll, please vote for one title to move on to the next round. The poll will be open for four days.

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
    Directed by Jon M. Chu

Watch Trailer

The Death of Stalin (2017)
    Directed by Armando Iannucci

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Films like Crazy Rich Asians are a dime a dozen, but The Death of Stalin is genius.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I am voting for The Death of Stalin based on the trailer alone.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Films like Crazy Rich Asians are a dime a dozen, but The Death of Stalin is genius.
    Are you kidding? A dime a dozen? Great rom-coms in and of themselves are not a dime a dozen. They are hard to craft and few ever find a mainstream audience. Crazy Rich Asians was groundbreaking. Hmmm...let me think of all the all-Asian-cast mainstream comedies of the past 10 years...hmmm...oh, yeah, that actually made $175 million domestic dollars. Easy choice for me - Asians.

By the way, it was not an easy choice. Stalin is a great film as well.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Its just another formulaic rom com. Boring, predictable, improbable. She doesn't know he's obscenely wealthy even tho they've been dating for a year and are "super close"

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Its just another formulaic rom com. Boring, predictable, improbable. She doesn't know he's obscenely wealthy even tho they've been dating for a year and are "super close"
    Yep. This is how I feel about it. Generic Rom Com. Groundbreaking because of the cast, but it being groundbreaking for it's cast, but that doesn't necessarily make it a great movie. (not saying it's bad)

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Yep. This is how I feel about it. Generic Rom Com. Groundbreaking because of the cast, but it being groundbreaking for it's cast, but that doesn't necessarily make it a great movie. (not saying it's bad)
    You have to go back to 1993 and the Joy Luck Club to find an all-Asian cast, so your adjective "groundbreaking" here is apt. The film seeks to break down many long-standing Asian stereotypes, while also introducing a cultural sense of the uppercrust of Singapore in an enlightening way. It's a world I had little familiarity with and I enjoyed getting a glimpse of from an authentic voice.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Death Of Stalin
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    You have to go back to 1993 and the Joy Luck Club to find an all-Asian cast, so your adjective "groundbreaking" here is apt. The film seeks to break down many long-standing Asian stereotypes, while also introducing a cultural sense of the uppercrust of Singapore in an enlightening way. It's a world I had little familiarity with and I enjoyed getting a glimpse of from an authentic voice.
    I fully agree. I just don't personally like the movie very much. It's a good take on an old formula, it's just not a formula that I enjoy (that formula being rom-coms).

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with DoctorZaius and I love a good rom-com. This one was exceptional. Plus, Awkwafina.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Awkwafina a lot in The Farewell but she was kinda annoying in this one.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm with DoctorZaius and I love a good rom-com. This one was exceptional. Plus, Awkwafina.
    And Henry Golding continues to open my eyes and is my choice for the against-type James Bond if there ever is one (I tout this one a lot).

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, but I have to say I probably enjoyed a much smaller film more - Always Be My Maybe.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, but I have to say I probably enjoyed a much smaller film more - Always Be My Maybe.
    Another very good rom-com.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Death of Stalin is not only hilarious and generally brilliant. It is very important, in terms of desacralisation, demythologisation, iconoslasm, what not. I wish more people would see it in my country, but, alas, in last years people's capacity to understand contexts has gone down dramatically

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The Death of Stalin is not only hilarious and generally brilliant. It is very important, in terms of desacralisation, demythologisation, iconoslasm, what not. I wish more people would see it in my country, but, alas, in last years people's capacity to understand contexts has gone down dramatically

Not that I disagree but is it shown in the R.F.?

My vote: The Death of Stalin
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

The pol has closed. The Death of Stalin moves on and Crazy Rich Asians is eliminated.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not that I disagree but is it shown in the R.F.?
    we here have access to all kinds of stuff, without ever paying attention to whether or not it is actually "shown". This is the point of survival our history since time immemorial: the laws are harsh and absurd, but nobody cares and/or hardly pays attention to them at all. Weird, I know. That's our life.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread