14 50.00%
  • A Ghost Story

7 25.00%
  • Blade Runner 2049

17 60.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 18 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 18 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
    Directed by James Gunn

Watch Trailer

Rocketman (2019)
    Directed by Dexter Fletcher

Watch Trailer

I, Tonya (2017)
    Directed by Craig Gillespie

Watch Trailer

Ready Player One (2018)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Upstream Color (2013)
    Directed by Shane Carruth

Watch Trailer

Kong: Skull Island (2017)
    Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts

Watch Trailer

The Artist (2011)
    Directed by Michel Hazanavicius

Watch Trailer

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    Directed by Wes Anderson

Watch Trailer

A Ghost Story (2017)
    Directed by David Lowery

Watch Trailer

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
    Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Watch Trailer

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Artist was good but vastly overrated. I loved Blade Runner 2049 more than I was expecting. Grand Budapest...just no.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Grand Budapest Hotel is a freakin work of art. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson after Royal Tenenbaums.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very please with the I, Tonya showing thus far, but I wish that Rocketman would get a push along. It's a great musical approach to a biopic - very non traditional and original way to tell Elton John's story. Egerton does all his own singing, unlike Malek who one the Oscar.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Grand Budapest Hotel is a freakin work of art. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson after Royal Tenenbaums.
    Wes Anderson is hit or miss with me and I loved Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought it was amazing. It's probably my favorite Anderson film as well.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

weird, I was sure I had seen a shit ton of the 21st century movies, but have not been through three groups and the only film I've seen is I, Tonya which I can't vote for because it was at best mediocre. Where do all those movies come from, and what have I been watching?...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just voted and overlooked Rocketman. Please add one for me.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I just voted and overlooked Rocketman. Please add one for me.
    Added.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    weird, I was sure I had seen a shit ton of the 21st century movies, but have not been through three groups and the only film I've seen is I, Tonya which I can't vote for because it was at best mediocre. Where do all those movies come from, and what have I been watching?...
    I think there are a few reasons for that. I feel that more than any other decade, smaller films are harder and harder to find at our local cinemas. Studios are reluctant to take chances on smaller films. They are more interested in superhero films, sequels, prequels, etc. This leaves a lot of smaller films on the outside looking in.

You would think that with the advent of streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, it would be easier and not harder to find some of these smaller films. While that may be true, the flip side of that is the fact that there are just so many films to sift through when it comes to services like that.

I have a lot of family and friends, especially older people, who say Hollywood doesn't make any good movies anymore. I tell them they aren't looking hard enough.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    While that may be true, the flip side of that is the fact that there are just so many films to sift through when it comes to services like that.
    Yep.
    Here in Russia ways of accessing movies are very different, but the idea is the same: an overwhelming sea of films that "everyone watches. Even though everything is normally available with Russian voiceover, I need only films with original sound, and then I discover that it's so much easier to find something big and well-hyped (and which snobbish bears will probably consider a waste of time) than any, well, normal movie

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following five titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Blade Runner 2049 (60.71%)
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (50.00%)
    3. The Grand Budapest Hotel (50.00%)
    4. I, Tonya (39.29%)
    5. Rocketman (39.29%)

The following two titles will face off in a tiebreaker for the last spot:
    1. Kong: Skull Island (35.71%)
    2. Ready Player One (35.71%)

And the following three titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Artist (32.14%)
    2. A Ghost Story (25.00%)
    3. Upstream Color (14.29%)

+ Reply to Thread