13 50.00%
  • Toy Story 4

12 46.15%
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

19 73.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 5 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 1 - Group 5 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Raid (2011)
    Directed by Gareth Evans

Watch Trailer

Wind River (2017)
    Directed by Taylor Sheridan

Watch Trailer

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
    Directed by Céline Sciamma

Watch Trailer

Out of the Furnace (2013)
    Directed by Scott Cooper

Watch Trailer

The Gift (2015)
    Directed by Joel Edgerton

Watch Trailer

Bone Tomahawk (2015)
    Directed by S. Craig Zahler

Watch Trailer

Roma (2018)
    Directed by Alfonso Cuarón

Watch Trailer

American Hustle (2013)
    Directed by David O. Russell

Watch Trailer

Toy Story 4 (2019)
    Directed by Josh Cooley

Watch Trailer

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen Wind River or Out of the Furnace, worth it?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Go for Wind River, absolutely worth it!

Country
    Country Flag

Also, Portrait of a Lady on Fire obviously needs more eyes on it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I haven't seen Wind River or Out of the Furnace, worth it?
    How did you miss Wind River? It's one of my favorite films of the decade. Really well made. I feel it will do well in this tournament.

I also enjoyed Out of the Furnace. It's a film that revels in the minimalism.

Also, this one is stacked for me. I'm surprised more people haven't seen Bone Tomahawk.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that the grossly over-hyped Roma isn't faring well here. I did not vote for it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It stars a Mexican maid, is in Spanish, and doesn't showcase gratuitous violence. It was never going to do well in this tournament.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It stars a Mexican maid, is in Spanish, and doesn't showcase gratuitous violence. It was never going to do well in this tournament.
    I don't know if you intended that to be funny or not but

Also, Wind River is very good.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Really breaks my heart seeing Portrait of a Lady on Fire with just three votes. It's such a beautiful film, definitely one of the best of the entire decade. It's streaming on Hulu, I hope people check it out at least, but looks like it won't move on

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Really breaks my heart seeing Portrait of a Lady on Fire with just three votes. It's such a beautiful film, definitely one of the best of the entire decade. It's streaming on Hulu, I hope people check it out at least, but looks like it won't move on

This is one that struggles because of the amount of people that actually got to see it. It went wide in the US basically just before the pandemic hit and things started getting shut down. That plus this type of movie largely just having less eyes on it then most.

As a side note I think it even really barely qualifies for this tournament. While it was technically released in 2019, it only had that very limited release so it would qualify for the Oscars. It didn't have a wide release until mid February of this year.

Country
    Country Flag

It’s been streaming on Hulu for a couple of months now, though. As far as eligibility, as long as it first officially came out on or before December 31, 2019, it qualifies. We can’t go by wide US release dates because that’s vague and unfair. Some movies don’t get US distribution until several years later, or ever. Even many American films often premiere throughout the year but go wide at the very end of that year or early next year. That still makes them movies of the year they first came out, not the following year. I hope that logic makes sense.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

It’s been streaming on Hulu for a couple of months now, though. As far as eligibility, as long as it first officially came out on or before December 31, 2019, it qualifies. We can’t go by wide US release dates because that’s vague and unfair. Some movies don’t get US distribution until several years later, or ever. Even many American films often premiere throughout the year but go wide at the very end of that year or early next year. That still makes them movies of the year they first came out, not the following year. I hope that logic makes sense.
    I get that it's been on Hulu, but that's just another barrier to entry. Not everyone has Hulu, and I don't think most will sign up for it just to stream a single movie. Also a lot of people probably don't even know it's on there (I didn't). It's really not a movie with a big marketing budget.

Per your logic, I get it, I just don't like it. Not necessarily specifically about the tournament, but that it even works for the Oscars. Movies do it all the time.

Country
    Country Flag

I think you don't like it because you're living it now, meaning if you pick a random movie from the 1940s, and it's labeled as, say a 1945 movie, would you know or care if it premiered in December of 1945 but went wide in 1946? I think this is why IMDb and Wikipedia label movies with the year of their first premiere, whatever it might have been. Sometimes nowadays if it's a small movie, it will go to a bunch of festivals for a couple of years and then have a quick run in the US (maybe, maybe not) and then drop on streaming. Most people will therefore see it two or three years after it actually "came out", or even later. For me, it's a helpful system, how IMDb and Wikipedia do it. Otherwise, that hypothetical 1945 movie, if I'm just seeing it today, could almost be considered a 2020 movie

I think you don't like it because you're living it now, meaning if you pick a random movie from the 1940s, and it's labeled as, say a 1945 movie, would you know or care if it premiered in December of 1945 but went wide in 1946? I think this is why IMDb and Wikipedia label movies with the year of their first premiere, whatever it might have been. Sometimes nowadays if it's a small movie, it will go to a bunch of festivals for a couple of years and then have a quick run in the US (maybe, maybe not) and then drop on streaming. Most people will therefore see it two or three years after it actually "came out", or even later. For me, it's a helpful system, how IMDb and Wikipedia do it. Otherwise, that hypothetical 1945 movie, if I'm just seeing it today, could almost be considered a 2020 movie
    Maybe. But if we're talking specifically for the awards seasons I think it's just eligibility on a technicality. But really what they're doing is they're releasing it in limited release so they qualify for the awards season then dropping a full release at a time of year when they would largely be ignored for the following years awards season. It just feels like gaming the system.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't matter when Portrait of a Lady on Fire was released, it was never getting a ton of votes. I think it's a fantastic film, but those kinds of films are always going to have less of an audience.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Banned Green_Balloon is on a distinguished road

the gift got caught in a strong group.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (73.08%)
    2. American Hustle (50.00%)
    3. The Gift (50.00%)
    4. Toy Story 4 (46.15%)
    5. The Raid (38.46%)
    6. Wind River (38.46%)

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Bone Tomahawk (26.92%)
    2. Roma (26.92%)
    3. Out of the Furnace (15.38%)
    4. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (15.38%)

+ Reply to Thread