Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2010s Movie Tournament Predictions

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll keep this open until tomorrow (Sunday). I'll get the spreadsheet made up sometime this week.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Apologies for the lateness on the spreadsheet, I've just been quite busy helping my brother get his condo ready to sell for the past few weeks. I should be wrapping up with that in the next few days so I'm aiming to have this done sometimes this coming week.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excited to see how everyone is doing!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I don't even remember what films I picked
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just in time for the Round of 32 and points to start, here is the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'll leave this up as it is now so everyone can see everyone's picks. In a few days I'll go through and put a strike through any eliminated films and a zero in the score beside them.

Also I have made a slight alteration to the scoring. I originally had it so Insurance Films didn't earn points in the first round, but contributed to the bonus, but I'm going to swap that. So you will get a point if your Insurance Film is in the round of 16, but it will not count toward the bonus pts. It just makes more sense this way in retrospect.

NOTE - Someone picked The Dark Knight, which isn't in the tournament. I thought they meant The Dark Knight Rises, so I changed it. But they had Rises in Insurance Picks. So you have one voided pick and Rises was moved up to the Round of 16 so you don't have a void there. (It doesn't matter though because I believe Rises was just eliminated). Also, I think one or two people put an Insurance Film also in their top 16, so I voided the pick for insurance since it was redundant.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Just in time for the Round of 32 and points to start, here is the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'll leave this up as it is now so everyone can see everyone's picks. In a few days I'll go through and put a strike through any eliminated films and a zero in the score beside them.

Also I have made a slight alteration to the scoring. I originally had it so Insurance Films didn't earn points in the first round, but contributed to the bonus, but I'm going to swap that. So you will get a point if your Insurance Film is in the round of 16, but it will not count toward the bonus pts. It just makes more sense this way in retrospect.

NOTE - Someone picked The Dark Knight, which isn't in the tournament. I thought they meant The Dark Knight Rises, so I changed it. But they had Rises in Insurance Picks. So you have one voided pick and Rises was moved up to the Round of 16 so you don't have a void there. (It doesn't matter though because I believe Rises was just eliminated). Also, I think one or two people put an Insurance Film also in their top 16, so I voided the pick for insurance since it was redundant.
    Pretty stupid mistake on my part - sorry! The chart looks great!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've updated the spreadsheet. All eliminated films (not including those eliminated so far this round) have been struck out with red font. After this round, advancing films will be in blue font and in Italics. Bonus points will be awarded on the spreadsheet going down, so every fourth film you predicted correctly will have a 2 beside it to indicate your bonus pt, excluding insurance picks, which do not count towards your bonus.

The think the final results of the final polls for this round are done on Wednesday so I'll have the spreadsheet updated with everyone's scores either that night or Friday.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've mostly got the sheet updated if you want to look. I haven't finished making adjustments to Insurance picks yet. I got totally screwed on my insurance picks...I think 7 of them got beat out this last round. I'm the only one to not get any insurance picks through.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm unclear how insurance picks come into play in future rounds. I obviously didn't pick any of my insurance picks in later rounds. So is there a one-to-one mapping of an insurance pick replacing an eliminated movie? How do you determine the mapping?

EDIT: never mind, just looked at the updated sheet and see what you did, and it looks like I did actually choose an insurance pick in round 2 (probably because I wasn't able to reference back what was original and what was insurance in later rounds).
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot see any scores past the first round.. Can you just do a quick list of who is on top here maybe?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I'm unclear how insurance picks come into play in future rounds. I obviously didn't pick any of my insurance picks in later rounds. So is there a one-to-one mapping of an insurance pick replacing an eliminated movie? How do you determine the mapping?

EDIT: never mind, just looked at the updated sheet and see what you did, and it looks like I did actually choose an insurance pick in round 2 (probably because I wasn't able to reference back what was original and what was insurance in later rounds).
    Basically how it worked is your insurance picks replace films from your 16 picks that are eliminated. The insurance picks are weighted, so the highest ranked insurance pick is top priority film for replacement in the event someone had 4 live insurance films, but only 2 slots open for them, it would decide which two are tossed in the bin for the remainder of the tournament. And because your insurance pick replaced an eliminated film, again going from top to bottom, your insurance pick replaces it...so if your Winner pick was eliminated before the the final 16, you now have a new winner pick.

Basically everyone got helped by their insurance picks...except for me where all 10 of my insurance picks were eliminated...7 of them in the round of 32. Fucking lame.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't fully updated the sheet in terms of insurance picks replacing films, just been literally the busiest week of schoolwork in the past 10 days or so. But the scores are all set up. Reminder scoring for the round of 16 is 1 pt for each film you correctly predicted to make the final 16. A bonus pt was awarded for every 4 correct films, for a total of 20 pts. Correct insurance picks earn you a pt, but do not contribute towards the bonus pt.

Anything can happen yet. Some people still have 8 films alive...others have only 5 or 6. It will be interesting how this plays out.

I don't want to post the updates until near the end of the round. I highly doubt it will influence voting, but I'm delaying them anyways. The number in brackets is the amount of films each player has alive going into the quarter finals. A "W" means their winner prediction is alive. A "B" means their backup winner is alive". These numbers DO NOT reflect the round just now ending.

STANDINGS - Round of 16

1. Heather19 (6)(W)(B) - 12 pts
    2. Still Servant (8)(W)(B) - 11 pts
    3. Dr. Zaius (8)(W)(B) & Mae (5)(W) - 10 pts
    4. Webstar1000 (6)(B) - 9 pts
    5. Mattrick (4)(W) - 8 pts
    6. amd013 (7)(W)(B) - 7 pts

Country
    Country Flag

VERY cool! Thanks man!~
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather in first place, as it should be

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Heather in first place, as it should be
    That's fine, especially since she's having trouble winning the Oscar contest recently.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that the semifinals have started, I'll update the standings tonight. I took a shellacking in round 1, but both my finals predictions are alive and currently leading...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

UPDATE: you can see the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

NOTE - The Hateful Eight is in the Semi-Finals currently despite ZERO people picking it to make the final 16 or as an insurance pick.

NOTE 2 - The standings below will go as follows: Round of 16 standings (same as above), Quarter Finals Standings (excluding Rof16 scores), Semi-Finals Standings (excluding Rof16/QF scores), Overall Standings (Rof16/QFs/SFs combined)

NOTE 3 - Number of films left alive as of the QFs do not reflect the Quarter finals Scores...some people got a big boost from Insurance picks and had more films left alive than can fit in the Semi-Finals, so this number will reflect only the films still alive in the Semi-finals, so you may have gotten points for 5 films this round, but two of the your semi-finals picks are already eliminated.

STANDINGS - Round of 16

1. Heather19 (6)(W)(B) - 12 pts
    2. Still Servant (8)(W)(B) - 11 pts
    3. Dr. Zaius (8)(W)(B) & Mae (5)(W) - 10 pts
    4. Webstar1000 (6)(B) - 9 pts
    5. Mattrick (4)(W) - 8 pts
    6. amd013 (7)(W)(B) - 7 pts

Quarter Finals Scores

1. Doctor Zaius - 12 pts
    2. Still Servant - 10 pts
    3. amd013, webstar1000 - 8 pts
    5. mae, Mattrick - 6 pts
    6. Heather19 - 4 pts

Overall Standings (going into Semi-Finals) - Number in Brackets = Films left alive, W = Winner left alive, B = Backup Winner left alive

1. DoctorZaius (2)(B) - 22 pts
    2. Still Servant (3)(W) - 21 pts
    3. webstar1000 (3)(W)(B) - 17 pts
    4. Heather19 (0), mae (2)(W) - 16 pts
    6. amd013 (3)(W) - 15 pts
    7. Mattrick (2)(W) - 14 pts

Semi-Finals Standings

1. Still Servant - 9 pts
    2. DoctorZaius, mae, Mattrick, Webstar - 6 pts
    6. amd013 - 3 pts
    7. Heather19 - 0 pts

Current Overall Standings (going into the final) NOTE - Alive films for the finals DO NOT count your backup winner pick since they get no points for making the finals

1. Still Servant (1)(W)(B) - 30 pts
    Total Possible points remaining = 10

2. DoctorZaius (0)(B) - 28 pts
    Total Possible points remaining = 3

3. webstar1000 (1)(W) - 23 pts

4. mae (1)(W) - 22 pts

5. Mattrick (2)(W) - 20 pts
    Total Possible points remaining = 14

6. amd013 (1)(W) - 18 pts

7. Heather19 (0) - 16 pts
    Total Possible points remaining = 0

Who Can Win?

Since Hateful Eight was picked by no one, and A Quiet Place isn't anyone's pick for Winner/Backup Winner, or even anyone's pick in the finals, only two films matter: Mad Max and Inception

If Mad Max/Inception make the finals, and Mad Max Wins...

- Still Servant Wins
    - Mae finishes Second
    - Doctor Zaius/Mattrick tie for third

If Mad Max/Inception make the finals, and Inception Wins

- Still Servant Wins
    - Mattrick Finishes Second
    - webstar1000 Finishes third

Man...I really got screwed in that first round without a single insurance pick replacing any of my 16 picks. I'm the only one who currently has both their finals picks alive yet it is mathematically impossible for me to win....That is why I am declaring all insurance picks past the Round of 16 will NOT be counted. I WON, BY A LOT!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The insurance picks actually ended up making a massive influence on the standings.

Here are the total number of points each person earned from Insurance Picks, with the number in brackets being points that can still be earned in the finals.

amd103: 13 (10)
    DoctorZaius: 10 (0)
    Heather19: 4 (0)
    mae: 7 (0)
    Mattrick: 0 (0)
    Still Servant: 8 (0)
    webstar1000: 13 (10)

I definitely insurance picks ended up being a pretty solid idea even if they didn't help me at all! It kept some people alive and will ultimately decide the winner.

Let me know if y'all want to do this again for the next tournament, and if you're fine with this format of 16+10 (picks+insurance) or if you'd rather just pick 32 films and do away with insurance picks. I thought they worked well with the more unpredictable nature of these contemporary films performing, but may not play as well with films from the 70s where I presume there will be more classics that stand out. The 2010s proved to be quite a crap shoot. Even though most of us hovered around the same 30-35 films, there were definitely some films that bowed out early or lasted longer than any of us expected. Who seriously would have picked Deadpool to be the only surviving Superhero flick? Not me! I assumed an Avengers flick, Logan, or Spider-Verse were the most likely candidates for that! And clearly none of us expected Hateful Eight to advance so deep since no one picked it, and instead went with Django and Hollywood.

Country
    Country Flag

This was SO fun. I did ok
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Matt. I run these tournaments all the time and have my spreadsheets but even so the math here is giving me headaches! I'm sure it was a lot of work. Thank you.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool! Thank you for doing this!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

So what's the final verdict?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Final Scores:
    1st - Still Servant (37 pts)
    2nd - Mattrick (34 pts)
    3rd - Webstar1000 (33 pts)
    4th - DoctorZauis (31 pts)
    5th - amd013 (28 pts)
    6th - mae (26 pts)
    7th - Heather19 (16 pts)

I'm going to run this again for the 70s tournament. Let me know if you want this same format of 16+10 insurance picks, or if you just want to pick 32>16>8 etc. I'm cool with either way, just going the 32>16 route is more work for you guys rather than myself so it's up to you all.

Country
    Country Flag

Woo! Congrats to the big winners!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wow, congrats everyone! I didn't fair so well
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast