Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So Long and Thanks For All the Fish

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The fifth elephant and another one... I guess I just am too far in the series to know who the characters are or what's going on... What's a good one to start with? See my brother said I didn't have to read them in order and now I'm not sure I believe him.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It depends - if you're going to read the stories about Rincewind then its best to start with The Colour of Magic, which is the first discworld book.
    However, I reckon you'd like Granny weatherwax and Nanny Ogg better, so you could try Wyrd Sisters which is awesome

If you like that Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are stories predominantly about them too - as are (in a roundabout way) the Tiffany Aching books - The Wee Free Men, A Hatful of Sky and The Wintersmith.

Terry Pratchett also wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman, which is a fantastic book - and one where you don't need any previous Discworld knowledge.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Ooooooooh I love Neil Gaiman...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Douglas Adams's books. Particularly the Hitchiker's Guide books
    Spoiler:
    although I wasn't that keen on the ending to the last. I read somewhere he was feeling a bit depressed when he wrote that though, and he planned to write another at some point... but then he died.

As for the Dirk Gently stories, I liked those too.
    Spoiler:
    They have an unfinished feel to them though, particularly the second.

I like Terry Pratchett's books a lot, but I've never felt that keen on buying them. All my exposure has been via the library, and for something fun and light to grab, they work well. Very funny in places too, they make me laugh out loud.

If you like Douglas Adams (possibly even if you don't) you might like Rob Grant and Doug Naylor's books too. They're the creators of the British Sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf (one of my favourite shows.) They co-wrote a couple of books based on Red Dwarf together (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better than Life) and then they split and wrote a sequel novel each (Last Human Doug Naylor and Backwards Rob Grant. )

Rob Grant has written other non Dwarf novels too. Again mostly sci-fi, although Fat is mostly present day. Sort of.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    As for the Dirk Gently stories, I liked those too.
    Spoiler:
    They have an unfinished feel to them though, particularly the second.
    I agree with you about your observations on his final books...

Spoiler:
    I like how you said the second book of the dirk gently's had an unfinished feeling to it when it says to be continued at the end....

I wish Douglas would have lived for 120 years...

but I will try your book suggestions and am very grateful and excited to try new authors!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

I, in fact, just bought from ebay the ultimate hitchikers guide for 5 bucks. you know, the edition with the five novels of the trilogy and a short story, can't remember what it was called. i'm very pleased with myself.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    I, in fact, just bought from ebay the ultimate hitchikers guide for 5 bucks. you know, the edition with the five novels of the trilogy and a short story, can't remember what it was called. i'm very pleased with myself.
    good purchase, but it's not a trilogy, since, as you pointed out, it's five novels.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    good purchase, but it's not a trilogy, since, as you pointed out, it's five novels.
    but, as i understand it, adams always jokingly referred to the 5 books as a trilogy.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

but, as i understand it, adams always jokingly referred to the 5 books as a trilogy.
    well than that's funny

My Mood
    Worried

My brother got me a leatherbound ultimate hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy with gold-tipped pages from the bookstore I work at and gave it to me as a VERY early birthday present. (My birthday's in October; he gave it to me in June).

It's soooo pretty.

But yes, I refer to it as the trilogy to because that's how Mr. Adams would still be referring to it...

My Mood
    Worried

DNA loved being wholly inaccurate.

My Mood
    Worried

I just wrote this today...

Arthur Dent's song, I can't wait to go home again
    (to the tune of I can't wait to see you again by Miley Cyrus)

I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to blame
    My ship's the heart of gold; that is it's name
    I knew you were something special
    When you spoke my name
    Now I can't wait to go home again

I've got a way of knowing when something's not right
    I feel like I must have known you in another life
    Cause I felt this deep depression when you looked in my eyes
    Now I can't wait to go home again

[Chorus:]
    vogons came; I freaked out
    I just kept looking down
    I st-st-stuttered when you asked me what I'm thinking about
    Felt like I couldn't breathe
    You asked what's wrong with me
    My best friend Ford said "Oh he never liked the Thursdays"
    The next time we hang out
    I will retain myself
    My heart can't rest till then
    Woh woh I
    I can't wait to go home again

I got this crazy feeling, deep inside
    When you came and asked to get some drinks now right
    I'm not a mind reader but I'm reading the signs
    That you can't wait to see me again

[Chorus]

I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to blame

[Chorus]

Woh woh I
    I can't wait to go home again

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that just made my day

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Worried

To the tune of I wear my sunglasses at night by LadyHitchhiker and Raron, I bring my towel out at night

I bring my towel out at night
    so I can
    so I can
    Watch you weep then read the guide's lines.
    And I bring my towel out at night
    so I can
    so I can
    Keep track of the fish inside my ear
    While she's receiving me
    I cut cross the galaxy
    Has she got control of me? - I turn to her and say:
    Don't mess with the guy who's making tea
    oh no.
    Don't mess with the guy with tea
    oh no
    I can't believe it!
    You gonna mess with the guy with tea
    oh no.
    so I can
    Forget my name while you walk through walls
    so I can
    so I can
    See you turn into a penguin's thighs
    so I can
    While she's receiving me I cut cross the galaxy
    . . .
    oh no.
    oh no
    I can't believe it!
    Don't be afraid of the guy with tea
    oh no
    it can't escape you

'cus you got it made with the guy with tea
    oh no.
    I said: I bring my towel out at night
    I said to you now: I bring my towel out at night

I cry to you: I bring my towel out at night

My Mood
    Worried

There apparently was an old mac sold to some guy and he found a bunch of douglas adams' old files on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course this is hearsay from a guy that I went to school with but the idea is mindbogglingly amazing.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

HOW did I NOT see this thread??????

I LOVE Douglas Adams!

And "I bring my towel out at night" may just be my new anthem.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

My Mood
    Worried

Why SigTauGimp you sure know how to make a girl blush!

:worships at the shrine of DNA:

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

*sigh*..I just finished reading The Salmon Of Doubt...and I almost wish I wouldn't have...all I could think was that it would have made a great story, from what little there was to read. All of the little interviews and quirky comments just made me all the sadder, too.

I think another reason that it depressed me is the fact that now I'm officially out of DNA stuff to read...unless I decide to re-re-re-re-read the Hitchhiker series.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

YouTube

My Mood
    Worried

Or his dirk gently stuff....

But it's so sad... So little of his stuff to read....

Traveler The Old Fella is on a distinguished road The Old Fella's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved THHGTTG series, both the books and the radio series. Except for Mostly Harmless which felt somewhat forced to me... almost as if Douglas Adams just wanted to get the series out of the way and done with. The BBC in recent years actually did more radio episodes to wrap up the series and include the later books.

As much as I enjoyed the series, I found myself far more drawn to the Dirk Gently books, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

Douglas Adams spent time as a script editor for the long running British sci-fi series Doctor Who (during the Tom Baker years) and those who enjoy reading about Dirk Gently might just enjoy the Tom Baker Doctor Who serial City of Death. This Doctor Who story was the original inspiration for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and one can see Douglas Adam's humour throughout the story and the similarity in the storylines.

My Mood
    Worried

:sighs: I love Douglas Adams in all his incarnations...

Let's hope he gets reincarnated

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

That would make me a very, very happy panda.

YouTube

My Mood
    Worried

My brother would say something ridiculous now about that, like "There can be only one!" about DNA being reincarnated... but it would fill me with such joy.....

Too bad I'm not in charge of the reincarnation department... allocating souls for future endeavours...

Next time I am coming back as a pampered house cat, just to take a break, a vacation. I will be fed, and adored, and played with (if I feel like it). Oh yeah...

Of course, I wouldn't mind adopting DNA as a housecat, either... or finding out how to channel him... *sighs* I could write for him from the grave!!!!! Or not...

And I must admit to being rather excited picturing you, Sigtaugimp, running around singing parodies I made up of THGTTG...

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been humming "I Bring My Towel Out At Night" all week-end.
    People have even tried to correct the lyrics once or twice...but I just say, "No, I like this version better."

YouTube

My Mood
    Worried

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast