Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Best Films of This Decade (2020s)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's that time again! Very exciting time when I go back to my spreadsheet (yes, I'm that kind of nerd!) and compile my list of the best movies of the year. Very tough choices this year, but that seems to be like any year. People who say "there are no good movies coming out" always confuse me, because I had to leave off so many really cool movies off my Top 35. And there are still lots of 2022 releases I've yet to see like: How to Blow Up a Pipeline, The Five Devils, Joyland, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Little Nicholas, Oink, Unicorn Wars, The Sales Girl, I can go on and on... It's why this list is always evolving, since I constantly update my living annual lists when I see and discover new movies. So, with that said, here is my list. I always want to add commentary for every movie but I feel overwhelmed and I'm not great at talking about movies. I just like watching them!

Top 35 Films of 2022
    1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
    2. Aftersun
    3. Mars One
    4. Tár
    5. Babylon
    6. The Quiet Girl
    7. Kimi
    8. Turning Red
    9. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
    10. Blonde
    11. Nope
    12. Fresh
    13. Barbarian
    14. Triangle of Sadness
    15. Avatar: The Way of Water
    16. Three Months
    17. Emily the Criminal
    18. Decision to Leave
    19. RRR
    20. Girl Picture
    21. Causeway
    22. Prey
    23. M3GAN
    24. Cha Cha Real Smooth
    25. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    26. Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe
    27. Pearl
    28. Close
    29. Men
    30. You Can Live Forever
    31. Bodies Bodies Bodies
    32. Please Baby Please
    33. Palm Trees and Power Lines
    34. Klondike
    35. Armageddon Time

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    It's that time again! Very exciting time when I go back to my spreadsheet (yes, I'm that kind of nerd!) and compile my list of the best movies of the year. Very tough choices this year, but that seems to be like any year. People who say "there are no good movies coming out" always confuse me, because I had to leave off so many really cool movies off my Top 35. And there are still lots of 2022 releases I've yet to see like: How to Blow Up a Pipeline, The Five Devils, Joyland, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Little Nicholas, Oink, Unicorn Wars, The Sales Girl, I can go on and on... It's why this list is always evolving, since I constantly update my living annual lists when I see and discover new movies. So, with that said, here is my list. I always want to add commentary for every movie but I feel overwhelmed and I'm not great at talking about movies. I just like watching them!

Top 35 Films of 2022
    1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
    2. Aftersun
    3. Mars One
    4. Tár
    5. Babylon
    6. The Quiet Girl
    7. Kimi
    8. Turning Red
    9. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
    10. Blonde
    11. Nope
    12. Fresh
    13. Barbarian
    14. Triangle of Sadness
    15. Avatar: The Way of Water
    16. Three Months
    17. Emily the Criminal
    18. Decision to Leave
    19. RRR
    20. Girl Picture
    21. Causeway
    22. Prey
    23. M3GAN
    24. Cha Cha Real Smooth
    25. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    26. Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe
    27. Pearl
    28. Close
    29. Men
    30. You Can Live Forever
    31. Bodies Bodies Bodies
    32. Please Baby Please
    33. Palm Trees and Power Lines
    34. Klondike
    35. Armageddon Time
    I've been waiting for this list! Those people that say, "there are no good movies coming out" are just consuming what Hollywood is forcing down their throats, and it's actually kinda sad.

I love your list, it's super eclectic as always. A few that really jump out at me are Kimi at #7. A lot of people missed that one and I thought it was a really good little thriller in the same vein as Rear Window. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande is one I didn't see because I thought it seemed to get mixed reviews, but its placement has me intrigued.

So happy to see Emily the Criminal and Decision to Leave on there as well. Decision to Leave is a film I think will continue to grow in popularity. Not enough people have seen it once, let alone twice, which I feel is somewhat required.

I continue to work on my 2022 list. There are still a few films I need to see before I can tie a bow on it. The very first film on the top of that list is Aftersun.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I knew I was going to love Kimi just from the trailer and the premise and I was right. It's such a good techno-thriller like Soderbergh's Side Effects and Contagion, but I feel even better. Leo Grande was also such a pleasant surprise. It's just two characters and it's sexy and sensual and sensitive, I really think Emma Thompson could've had a Best Actress nomination here. Decision to Leave I've only seen once so far but it was a really singular experience, definitely need to watch it again and then it might move up the list.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Your No. 1 makes me happy. It's my favorite of 2022 also.

I haven't bought physical media -blu rays, DVDS, video game discs - in years but I actually bought EEAAO on Blu-Ray so I could own it forever. Plus the sentimental value of course.

Country
    Country Flag

Every year I seem to really like a couple of movies everyone else seems to actively dislike and I don't know what it is. In 2021, that was Eternals (one of the best MCU movies for me and I think the only MCU movie still on my annual lists apart from Endgame), and The Matrix Resurrections. This year that's Men and Blonde, the latter of which I thought was a near-masterpiece and I'm still not comprehending all the hate for it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Every year I seem to really like a couple of movies everyone else seems to actively dislike and I don't know what it is. In 2021, that was Eternals (one of the best MCU movies for me and I think the only MCU movie still on my annual lists apart from Endgame), and The Matrix Resurrections. This year that's Men and Blonde, the latter of which I thought was a near-masterpiece and I'm still not comprehending all the hate for it.
    The same can be said for Babylon, actually. I also loved the film, so I was happy to see that so high on your list. The only film I'm not familiar with is Mars One. It's not easy to have a film ranked so high on a list like this without me ever hearing of it, so I'm intrigued.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    The same can be said for Babylon, actually. I also loved the film, so I was happy to see that so high on your list. The only film I'm not familiar with is Mars One. It's not easy to have a film ranked so high on a list like this without me ever hearing of it, so I'm intrigued.
    I know Babylon wasn't a box-office success, but I never consider how much money a film made as any kind of indicator. On Letterboxd, it has a very good rating, however. I really thought Babylon was such an amazing experience. The "Hello, college!" scene had me rolling with laughter. The entire thing was just genius. The ending montage was a complete WTF moment and I loved it. And that score! That was one of the few misses the Academy made on Sunday! And Mars One was really great as well, you should check it out, it's on Netflix. I think I just found out about it via the trailer. A much more simple and intimate drama, but so beautiful and touching.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I know Babylon wasn't a box-office success, but I never consider how much money a film made as any kind of indicator. On Letterboxd, it has a very good rating, however. I really thought Babylon was such an amazing experience. The "Hello, college!" scene had me rolling with laughter. The entire thing was just genius. The ending montage was a complete WTF moment and I loved it. And that score! That was one of the few misses the Academy made on Sunday! And Mars One was really great as well, you should check it out, it's on Netflix. I think I just found out about it via the trailer. A much more simple and intimate drama, but so beautiful and touching.
    I agree, but critics hated it too, which surprised me the most.

Country
    Country Flag

I see Babylon has a very strong 3.9 Letterboxd rating (that's out of 5), but on RT looks like it's 56% and the main criticism is that it's "chaotic"? LOL that's the point!

Country
    Country Flag

Believe it or not but we're halfway through 2023. As usual, curious to see what are some of everyone's top movies of the year so far?

Country
    Country Flag

My preliminary Top 35 of 2023 is here. As usual, there are still lots of big movies from the past year I need to see that I expect can make my list (The Boy and the Heron, How to Have Sex, Chicken for Linda, Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person, The Monk and the Gun, etc.), but for now this feels good. As always, it's a living list and is never set in stone:
    1. Barbie
    2. Past Lives
    3. Anatomy of a Fall
    4. The Zone of Interest
    5. American Fiction
    6. May December
    7. Dream Scenario
    8. Poor Things
    9. Leave the World Behind
    10. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
    11. A Thousand and One
    12. Afire
    13. The Delinquents
    14. Fair Play
    15. Nimona
    16. The Holdovers
    17. Robot Dreams
    18. Polite Society
    19. Soulmate
    20. The Creator
    21. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
    22. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
    23. Elemental
    24. Godzilla Minus One
    25. Landscape with Invisible Hand
    26. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
    27. Oppenheimer
    28. Rye Lane
    29. 20,000 Species of Bees
    30. Monster
    31. Killers of the Flower Moon
    32. Priscilla
    33. Bottoms
    34. They Cloned Tyrone
    35. When Evil Lurks

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't make sense to have a thread about the best movies of this decade (2020-2029) when we are not even half way through the decade. This thread could be a debate for 10 years,

Country
    Country Flag

We just go year by year and then reflect in 2030, if we’re still around.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Barbie at #1? Surprising.

So many films over the past few years I still haven't seen. Covid screwed over my enjoyment of the movies, along with film school. It's not only harder for me to get to the theatres on my own to see these smaller, art house films (which usually have a limited window), but for the first few years of decade the only place to catch many of the oscar movies is on streaming and I ain't paying 25 goddamn dollars to watch a movie at home. And then so many of those films after their digital premieres ended up on Prime or Apple or other OTT services I don't have so they basically don't exist for me...unless I go back to torrenting and I'd prefer to support these films than pirate them.

Mae's list of her top 35 movies has gotta be longer then my list of 2020s movies I've actually seen.

All that said: my #1 film so far is Poor Things.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    It was and is still such an experience. Watched it in IMAX and then have seen it a number of times again on streaming. Can't help but get emotional every single time. One of the best movies of the decade for me, very high at the top.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Have you seen All of Us Strangers, mae?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Have you seen All of Us Strangers, mae?
    Not yet, it's on my watchlist for sure though.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

For me the 2020's have seen a dearth of good films. The whole experience of going to a theater was shanked by Covid, the preponderance of insipid superhero movies, then actor/writer strikes. For four years I didn't care.

It's hard to build up excitement. I used to go to the theater 35+ times a year. I haven't been to the theater 30 times total since 2020.

Country
    Country Flag

I can see that, and I feel like 2023 was a very strong year for movies. In the 2020s the smaller streaming movies have exploded and have been excellent (of course the vast majority of them are decidedly not).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    For me the 2020's have seen a dearth of good films. The whole experience of going to a theater was shanked by Covid, the preponderance of insipid superhero movies, then actor/writer strikes. For four years I didn't care.

It's hard to build up excitement. I used to go to the theater 35+ times a year. I haven't been to the theater 30 times total since 2020.
    It's actually the opposite for me. The day theaters opened back up during COVID I was there and it was amazing. My friend and I were typically the only people in the theater.

Most big-budget films weren't coming out, so I got to see a lot of smaller films in theaters like Sound of Metal. There's still nothing like going to the theater and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I watch a lot of movies at home. I have a great setup, but I never truly unplug from society at home like I do at the theater.

Also, great list as always, Mae.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    It was and is still such an experience. Watched it in IMAX and then have seen it a number of times again on streaming. Can't help but get emotional every single time. One of the best movies of the decade for me, very high at the top.
    And I can't stop thinking about it since. It's probably the defining movie of the decade for me.

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4