Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Films of This Decade (2020s)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I shared it in the General Movie Discussion thread.

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2020

Here's an expanded and updated list below:

1. Tenet
    2. Sound of Metal
    3. Palm Springs
    4. Promising Young Woman
    5. The World to Come
    6. Pieces of a Woman
    7. Beasts Clawing at Straws
    8. The Trial of the Chicago 7
    9. Run
    10. First Cow
    11. Uncle Frank
    12. Little Fish
    13. One Night in Miami
    14. The Invisible Man
    15. Swallow
    16. The Devil All the Time
    17. On the Rocks
    18. Borat: Subsequent Movie Film
    19. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    20. Freaky
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice list! I think my own Top 5 might look similar.

A few notes: Little Fish came out in 2021 and First Cow in 2019. And #18 I imagine is Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Nice list! I think my own Top 5 might look similar.

A few notes: Little Fish came out in 2021 and First Cow in 2019. And #18 I imagine is Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.
    I added the wrong Borat to Letterboxd. Good catch.

The whole year thing is tricky, First Cow was mainly released in 2020 and appeared on a lot of 2020 lists, so I figured I would keep it there. Eventually, when I redo these lists at the end of the decade I will have to shuffle things around. I actually just saw Little Fish today. Letterboxd lists it as 2020.

I saw Palm Springs so early in the pandemic and I figured it would move down, but my love for it continued to grow and I ended up watching it a second time and enjoying it even more.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Weathering With You is actually a 2019 release. Didn't you watch many of the streaming releases last year?
    2019 in Japan, maybe. It opened in North America January 17th, 2020

Most of the streaming services films opened on aren't in Canada. And I ain't paying 20-27 bucks to rent a new release.

The theater by me just opened up again so im going to check out Promising Young Woman this week while I'm off school.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I'm preparing my Top 30 of 2020 and catching up on a few of the movies I wanted to see, but one big one is eluding me, Tove, and I feel like I will love it so want to include it in my ranking, but I don't know when it will be streaming anywhere. I can't even find it on some of the seedier areas of the Internet... So weird.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I can't believe it but I finally managed to put together my Top 30 of 2020 list. This was a weird and tumultuous year, to say the least. I'm still not caught up on every 2020 release I was looking forward to, still can't find Tove, and Zola is only coming out in June. But I feel good about this list. There wasn't any single film that jumped out as an obvious #1 but when I kept thinking about it, my mind always would come back to NRSA. It's such a small and intimate film where seemingly nothing happens. But it was beautifully shot and acted, I loved the realism (being from NJ I have been at the Port Authority and around so many times), and for a couple of parts of it I was fully in tears. Anyways:
    1. Never Rarely Sometimes Always (2020)
    2. Promising Young Woman (2020)
    3. Minari (2020)
    4. The Father (2020)
    5. Palm Springs (2020)
    6. Another Round (2020)
    7. Soul (2020)
    8. Shirley (2020)
    9. Tenet (2020)
    10. Nomadland (2020)
    11. Wolfwalkers (2020)
    12. Birds of Prey (2020)
    13. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020)
    14. The Half of It (2020)
    15. Shiva Baby (2020)
    16. The Invisible Man (2020)
    17. The King of Staten Island (2020)
    18. Pieces of a Woman (2020)
    19. My First Summer (2020)
    20. Kajillionaire (2020)
    21. Dating Amber (2020)
    22. Red Post on Escher Street (2020)
    23. The Woman Who Ran (2020)
    24. Summerland (2020)
    25. Happiest Season (2020)
    26. One Night in Miami (2020)
    27. Berlin Alexanderplatz (2020)
    28. Possessor (2020)
    29. Sugar Daddy (2020)
    30. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool list. You just reminded me that I started Possessor and never finished it. Need to get back to it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Cool list. You just reminded me that I started Possessor and never finished it. Need to get back to it.
    I love weird movies like that and this year seemed to be light on them. Actually, not that many horror movies appealed to me. Maybe because it was such a depressing year, with my mom passing away and just everything. Gretel & Hansel was good but not good enough...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I can't believe it but I finally managed to put together my Top 30 of 2020 list. This was a weird and tumultuous year, to say the least. I'm still not caught up on every 2020 release I was looking forward to, still can't find Tove, and Zola is only coming out in June. But I feel good about this list. There wasn't any single film that jumped out as an obvious #1 but when I kept thinking about it, my mind always would come back to NRSA. It's such a small and intimate film where seemingly nothing happens. But it was beautifully shot and acted, I loved the realism (being from NJ I have been at the Port Authority and around so many times), and for a couple of parts of it I was fully in tears. Anyways:
    1. Never Rarely Sometimes Always (2020)
    2. Promising Young Woman (2020)
    3. Minari (2020)
    4. The Father (2020)
    5. Palm Springs (2020)
    6. Another Round (2020)
    7. Soul (2020)
    8. Shirley (2020)
    9. Tenet (2020)
    10. Nomadland (2020)
    11. Wolfwalkers (2020)
    12. Birds of Prey (2020)
    13. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020)
    14. The Half of It (2020)
    15. Shiva Baby (2020)
    16. The Invisible Man (2020)
    17. The King of Staten Island (2020)
    18. Pieces of a Woman (2020)
    19. My First Summer (2020)
    20. Kajillionaire (2020)
    21. Dating Amber (2020)
    22. Red Post on Escher Street (2020)
    23. The Woman Who Ran (2020)
    24. Summerland (2020)
    25. Happiest Season (2020)
    26. One Night in Miami (2020)
    27. Berlin Alexanderplatz (2020)
    28. Possessor (2020)
    29. Sugar Daddy (2020)
    30. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)
    Great list, Mae! We are in agreement with most of the films on your list. There are a few I still need to see.

The main difference is right there at #1. I don't get the love for Never Rarely Sometimes Always. I've seen films with similar subject matter handle it better. The film is almost a silent film in many parts. There are scenes where the two teen girls are together and they literally don't talk. I know it's a somewhat somber situation, but anybody who has spent time around teen girls knows that they never and rarely shut the fuck up!

I don't know, I just couldn't get into it.

EDIT: Possessor was style over substance. I do love Christopher Abbott. Fellow Connecticut boy! Keep an eye out for him, he was fantastic in a Sundance film called On the Count of Three.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Great list, Mae! We are in agreement with most of the films on your list. There are a few I still need to see.

The main difference is right there at #1. I don't get the love for Never Rarely Sometimes Always. I've seen films with similar subject matter handle it better. The film is almost a silent film in many parts. There are scenes where the two teen girls are together and they literally don't talk. I know it's a somewhat somber situation, but anybody who has spent time around teen girls knows that they never and rarely shut the fuck up!

I don't know, I just couldn't get into it.

EDIT: Possessor was style over substance. I do love Christopher Abbott. Fellow Connecticut boy! Keep an eye out for him, he was fantastic in a Sundance film called On the Count of Three.
    I dunno, NRSA really really affected me. The sparse dialogue was actually a part of it. Autumn clearly went through a traumatic experience prior and it's being exacerbated by everything that's happening in the movie, including having to aimlessly wander around the hugest and loudest city that she's probably visiting for the first time (she might not have even been to Philly). What I think sold me was that single-take interview with the social worker. Most of the film was done in closeups but that was an amazing scene and she acted the heck out of that.

Agree on Possessor but sometimes I appreciate style over substance if the style is good.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also I'm not sure about Palm Springs at number 5?? I saw it, enjoyed it, but never gave it a second thought. It's not as memorable or impactful as other films on your list.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Also I'm not sure about Palm Springs at number 5?? I saw it, enjoyed it, but never gave it a second thought. It's not as memorable or impactful as other films on your list.
    Similarly to NRSA I think it just really hit me on a personal level. This was, as many have said, the perfect lockdown movie, plus it came out as my mom was quickly deteriorating, so it was such a welcome escape. I usually revisit these lists on Letterboxd and will shuffle things around, remove and add stuff as I watch more movies released that year, etc. But for now this is it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Palm Springs and watched it twice!

Country
    Country Flag

We're nearly two thirds of the way through the year, what's everyone's top 2021 movies so far?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We're nearly two thirds of the way through the year, what's everyone's top 2021 movies so far?
    I've only seen a few, but my #1 is The Green Knight and #2 is Pig

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You and I are on the same page! I was just thinking of putting together a list today. I'm still giving it some thought. It's still a tad premature. There's a ton of great films that are about to drop like Last Night in Soho, French Dispatch, Dune and a bunch more I'm not even thinking about.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Pig? Man we do not like the same movies. Green Knight was also a huge let down. I expected so much more than I got. Pig was ok but forgettable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Pig? Man we do not like the same movies. Green Knight was also a huge let down. I expected so much more than I got. Pig was ok but forgettable.

Pig was incredible. That restaurant scene? *chef's kiss*

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

UGH! Granted I am biased, but The Green Knight is such a departure from the source material that I can't wait to show it to my students this year, to show bad a translation it is. Sorry dude.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You should have asked me (us) before seeing Green Knight. That kind of film is not for you. You can't tell just from a trailer, a studio or a director which films are going to be something you might like and what's something you should pass on?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    UGH! Granted I am biased, but The Green Knight is such a departure from the source material that I can't wait to show it to my students this year, to show bad a translation it is. Sorry dude.
    Sorry for the multiple posts, but it keeps messing up quoting for me.

Anyway, I have no idea what the source material even is for Green Knight and I really enjoyed the film. Looking forward to seeing it again.

My Favorite Films of 2021 (So Far)

1. CODA
    2. A Quiet Place II
    3. Stillwater
    4. The Green Knight
    5. The World to Come (probably considered 2020)
    6. Mitchells vs. The Machines
    7. Together Together
    8. Palmer
    9. On the Count of Three
    10. Free Guy

Country
    Country Flag

That's a nice list, CODA at the top? Have you been Plan B yet? It's a great Booksmart/Never Rarely hybrid.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a nice list, CODA at the top? Have you been Plan B yet? It's a great Booksmart/Never Rarely hybrid.
    CODA was an absolute delight. Emilia Jones gives one of the best performances of the year so far. I think she's an actress that is really about to blow up. CODA is a nice companion piece to one of my favorite films of last year Sound of Metal. The films are very different in tone, but share similar subject matter.

I haven't seen Plan B, but I know I will prefer it to Never Rarely. I didn't understand all the fuss about that one.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Maybe instead you should teach your students how to make a great film that takes liberties with the source material. You can do a double feature with The Shining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast