Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Given the opportunity to buy a book from stranger at far below market value, do you:

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the item and not say a word to the seller

31 70.45%
  • Inform the seller they priced below value and agree on a more equitable price

13 29.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buyers obligation to inform seller of substantial below market price

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Buyers obligation to inform seller of substantial below market price

What if any obligation (moral, ethical, soul, Karma etc.) does a buyer have to inform a seller that their price is substantially below market value?
    There are thousands of mitigating circumstances to the answer, yet a passionate but non-abrasive discussion is welcome.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    ...a passionate but non-abrasive discussion is welcome.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Zero. Its the sellers responsibility to research what they are selling. Same goes for a buyer. If you get screwed that’s on you.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd say its just a matter of how well you can live with yourself and your decisions/actions. Some people have absolutely no trouble doing things that others consider wrong, immoral, or even illegal. That's a personal choice. It doesn't matter what I think or what you think ... it's what the individual thinks. This is why the world has thieves, murderers, politicians, etc.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    thieves, murderers, politicians,
    what a triumvirate!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

I'd say its just a matter of how well you can live with yourself and your decisions/actions. Some people have absolutely no trouble doing things that others consider wrong, immoral, or even illegal. That's a personal choice. It doesn't matter what I think or what you think ... it's what the individual thinks. This is why the world has thieves, murderers, politicians, etc.
    Well said. The world is made up of all kids of people. Some good, others not so good.

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

To clear the air, my comment in the previous thread was not meant to be conceited or malicious. I am, and will continue to be, in awe and thoroughly impressed by the stunning collections you all have. I just found it childishly difficult to contain my excitement.

I believe a seller's lack of research and knowledge about what they're selling is on them. Unless there are aptitude issues in play that could be argued in a court of law, it's not stealing if it's being handed to you. The seller I bought from is a retired, well-educated professional. Wise in the respective field of work, not so of the book collection.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This is why the world has thieves, murderers, politicians, etc.
    What if you steal a murderer who killed a politician?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personally tend to think that it's the seller's responsability to do some research about the "value" of the item that he sells.
    If he sell something at a lower price than its "value" (which can depend of many factors, for instance someone's ability to market properly an item or reach the 'right' buyers) but is still happy to do the sell, where is the harm? Seems like a win-win situation.

On the other side : how many people managed to buy a signed "If It Bleeds" for $35, bitched that it was slightly damaged, but flipped the book for over 500? Shouldn't they have sold it for a more "reasonable" price then?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I personally tend to think that it's the seller's responsability to do some research about the "value" of the item that he sells.
    If he sell something at a lower price than its "value" (which can depend of many factors, for instance someone's ability to market properly an item or reach the 'right' buyers) but is still happy to do the sell, where is the harm? Seems like a win-win situation.

On the other side : how many people managed to buy a signed "If It Bleeds" for $35, bitched that it was slightly damaged, but flipped the book for over 500? Shouldn't they have sold it for a more "reasonable" price then?
    If it bleeds is not a fair comparison as bookstore1 was likely told at what price to sell the books.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes and no.

Nobody forced flippers to sell it at such a higher price.
    They could have decided to sell it at let's say 5 times their cost, and that would still be about 500% margin or so

That leads me to another question : the thread is titled "to inform seller of substantial below market price".
    What is the definition of substantial?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Yes and no.

They could have decided to sell it at let's say 5 times their cost, and that would still be about 500% margin or so

That leads me to another question : the thread is titled "to inform seller of substantial below market price".
    I agree with you that no one forced the high price, but that’s not what is in question here. What’s in question is if you find an item that someone is selling well below market value, is it your duty to inform them that they are substantially undervaluing said item Flipping is another contentious issue in the community, but not what is in question here.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    What if any obligation (moral, ethical, soul, Karma etc.) does a buyer have to inform a seller that their price is substantially below market value?
    There are thousands of mitigating circumstances to the answer, yet a passionate but non-abrasive discussion is welcome.
    I think this is an excellent question. Many, many times over the years I've bought books, magazines etc... at very reduced prices in comparison to what they were worth.
    I got a box of Cavaliers once for $5 that had 8 King's in it. I think if you are buying from a store, yard sale, flea market etc... it is up to the seller to know what they are selling.
    But, I think in a forum like this that is built on information, communication and trust, it is imperative that we maintain a "decorum" of integrity that anyone joining can trust that
    they are being treated fairly whether they are buying or selling. Just my 2 cents worth.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think the bottom line is that there is no actual iron clad responsibility to inform, but one's personal feelings, which may involve ideals bigger than book collecting, may come into play.

Any discussion really comes down to:
    - how much damage you imagine you might do to another by remaining silent
    - how much you care about that damage
    - how much damage you imagine you might do to your collection by forgoing a great deal

It (as do many things) boils down to how you think about yourself and others. You may view a "deal" differently if the seller was:
    A) an experienced professional who profits in the industry (the "should know better" type)
    B) someone like A, but with whom you have a personal relationship
    C) someone like A, but who is known for taking advantage of the uninformed and inexperienced while walking the fine line separating honesty from dishonesty
    D) a distressed seller fallen on hard times
    E) an enthusiastic but inexperienced newbie trying to get started in the industry who would benefit from your knowledge and who reminds you of a young you

How you feel about you and your collecting may also play a role; you may feel:
    A) "I'll never get my hands on a lettered Regulators, ever, if I don't take this deal"
    B) "I'm comfortable where my collecting is at the moment; in a few years, I'll get there"
    C) "I'd have enough to buy this book if I hadn't gotten snookered a few years ago into giving something away like this seller is about to"
    D) "I've had a pretty lucky year - that car accident that totaled my car but left me unharmed, the unlikely scholarship that came through for my son - I don't need to take this deal; let me pay it forward and tell this seller what he/she has"

At this point, we might as well debate ice cream flavors.

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I think the bottom line is that there is no actual iron clad responsibility to inform, but one's personal feelings, which may involve ideals bigger than book collecting, may come into play.

Any discussion really comes down to:
    - how much damage you imagine you might do to another by remaining silent
    - how much damage you imagine you might do to your collection by forgoing a great deal

It (as do many things) boils down to how you think about yourself and others. You may view a "deal" differently if the seller was:
    A) an experienced professional who profits in the industry (the "should know better" type)
    B) someone like A, but with whom you have a personal relationship
    C) someone like A, but who is known for taking advantage of the uninformed and inexperienced while walking the fine line separating honesty from dishonesty
    D) a distressed seller fallen on hard times
    E) an enthusiastic but inexperienced newbie trying to get started in the industry who would benefit from your knowledge and who reminds you of a young you

How you feel about you and your collecting may also play a role; you may feel:
    A) "I'll never get my hands on a lettered Regulators, ever, if I don't take this deal"
    B) "I'm comfortable where my collecting is at the moment; in a few years, I'll get there"
    C) "I'd have enough to buy this book if I hadn't gotten snookered a few years ago into giving something away like this seller is about to"
    D) "I've had a pretty lucky year - that car accident that totaled my car but left me unharmed, the unlikely scholarship that came through for my son - I don't need to take this deal; let me pay it forward and tell this seller what he/she has"

At this point, we might as well debate ice cream flavors.
    Very well said!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Setting the if it bleeds case aside, as I agree I think it’s a slightly different situation.

I’m not sure I agree that the onus is all on the seller, and that only the buyer needs to be protected. If a seller overpriced a book with a fake or facsimile signature, thinking it was real, everyone would jump on them to correct the error, to protect buyers. Motivation being that buyers should not get ripped off by a sellers ignorance.

And yet when a seller underprices an item through ignorance, it’s OK for a buyer to rip off the seller?

I don’t know what the answer should be, but it seems wrong to me that in one situation, the seller is seen as being potentially dishonest for having an inaccurate description, whereas in the other, the buyer is seen as being lucky or clever for recognizing, and taking advantage of, an inaccurate description.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

of considerable importance, size, or worth.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Setting the if it bleeds case aside, as I agree I think it’s a slightly different situation.

I’m not sure I agree that the onus is all on the seller, and that only the buyer needs to be protected. If a seller overpriced a book with a fake or facsimile signature, thinking it was real, everyone would jump on them to correct the error, to protect buyers. Motivation being that buyers should not get ripped off by a sellers ignorance.

And yet when a seller underprices an item through ignorance, it’s OK for a buyer to rip off the seller?

I don’t know what the answer should be, but it seems wrong to me that in one situation, the seller is seen as being potentially dishonest for having an inaccurate description, whereas in the other, the buyer is seen as being lucky or clever for recognizing, and taking advantage of, an inaccurate description.
    Very well stated.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post

That pretty much sums it up for me. I feel like this would have been a question for an ethics test in school. If i recall, the criteria to evaluate was something like:

Would I recommend doing the same thing to someone else?
    Would I be happy if someone did the same thing to me?
    Were the actions fair to all involved?
    Do my actions represent or involve dishonesty?
    Would I be proud if my child acted the same way?
    Would I want my actions posted publicly?
    Do my actions leave me with a clear conscience?

No right or wrong answer(s), as long as you sleep with a clear conscience.
    I know what i would do.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Yes and no.

I agree with you that no one forced the high price, but that’s not what is in question here. What’s in question is if you find an item that someone is selling well below market value, is it your duty to inform them that they are substantially undervaluing said item Flipping is another contentious issue in the community, but not what is in question here.
    Actually....someone did force flippers to sell at a higher price.....it was the buyers who were willing to pay that price.

It's our fault. A few years back a member here sold me a a signed copy of Doctor Sleep. I bought it because I was pissed off I had come back from the Boulder event without a signed copy. I paid $350 for it and could not believe I had done so. But now because of books like The Outsider, Mr Mercedes, Elevation and If it Bleeds....$800 is the new norm. If we stopped buying at that price....sellers would lower their price eventually.

Market value is what we make it.....and to some degree it is a matter of opinion.

As to my position.....I do not comment on people's pricing. I find it to be in bad taste when someone tells me I am pricing something too high. Let them figure it out and they will lower their price if they want to. As far as if I am pricing something too low....if you are a fried of mine...please tell me....and I will tell you if you are a friend of mine....but if I don't know you.....and I see what I see as a very good price on something......I am going to buy it.

When you go into the grocery store and they are selling Strawberries for $0.99 a basket, do you go to the manager and tell him he's selling them too cheap?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Circumstances would dictate to me. That and the size of the difference. Karma's a bitch boy's and girl's!!!

That said generally speaking and all things being equal, buyer and seller beware.

I know that's not a very precise answer, but that is how I would roll.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

If it bleeds is not a fair comparison as bookstore1 was likely told at what price to sell the books.
    Agreed.

Besides, I have the theory that Bookstore1 always keeps some signed copies to sell for a higher value later on. They did it with Revival in 2015.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Poll added to topic. Poll is confidential.

Gunslinger Apprentice Frondz has a spectacular aura about Frondz has a spectacular aura about Frondz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I find this to be a fascinating topic as both a collector and a seller myself. I think HBJ already made this point, but if someone snags a SL 'Slinger for 2k, would he/she not be praised and thought to be extremely lucky? If someone buys a SL 'SLinger for 15k because it is the only one on the market and they just have to have it, would the seller not be thought to be price gouging? (certainly in some collecting groups he/she would be). Both of these situations (not necessarily with this book) happen all the time. This to me says a lot about the book collecting community, but also brings to question the idea: does altruism exist in capitalism? What would a buyer gain by notifying a seller of an underpriced book? What would a buyer gain by notifying a seller of an overpriced book? Does it go both ways? There certainly are some honest sellers who do not try to swindle unscrupulous buyers, and there are certainly many who do. But, I've never known a buyer to pass up a good deal.
    Brings to mind:
    Last edited by Frondz; 05-27-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added pic

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Circumstances would dictate to me. That and the size of the difference. Karma's a bitch boy's and girl's!!!

That said generally speaking and all things being equal, buyer and seller beware.

I know that's not a very precise answer, but that is how I would roll.
    What Bill said^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast