33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aliens

17 51.52%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

16 48.48%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Final

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Final

For the ninth and final round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to win the tournament and be declared the best film of the 1980s.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Aliens (1986)
    Directed by James Cameron

Watch Trailer

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Directed by Irvin Kershner

Watch Trailer

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Aliens by the smallest of margins.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Star Wars..... The Empire is strong.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of my all time favorites...easy for me Empire
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yikes. It came down to these two?

No thanks.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Impossible choice - love both - went with ALIENS...

sk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Aliens is the right answer.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am floored that people think Aliens is better than Indy, Terminator and Empire. While a great movie... NO ONE is talking about it today like the other films. I have made a decision to go and watch the first two again as I am older since I seen them... but to be better than those three films? Not a chance.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Two of my all time favorites, two sequels that built upon a solid foundation and expanded it, two quintessential 80's movies.

Gave it to Empire by the thinnest of margins.

Great final!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

On the one hand you have Empire, which is the linchpin of the first saga. Just the emotional trip that film takes you on. The visuals and of course the reveal that probably had everybody gasping.
    Then, on the the other side you have Aliens. One of the best Sci-fi action films of all times. Plus the more emotional aspect if you watch the directors cut. And of course, one of the first, if not
    the first film to put a woman in true action film as the lead. Sort of broke new ground with that one. I would be happy with either so I don't know if I am going to vote. We shall see.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I am floored that people think Aliens is better than Indy, Terminator and Empire. While a great movie... NO ONE is talking about it today like the other films. I have made a decision to go and watch the first two again as I am older since I seen them... but to be better than those three films? Not a chance.
    This is Greatest Film not Most Talked About Film. Most people aren't talking about Amadeus these days either but it's twice the film any of these finalists are, and I love the finalists and have seen both at least 40 times combined.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it's been a fun, long tournament. It's been fantastic. Thank you again to Mae for doing a wonderful job.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It's been fantastic.
    Big, beautiful, fantastic tournament. Just great. Fantastic. The greatest, most stupendous tournament in the history of America.

Sorry, I read your post in a Trump voice.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty easy for me, Empire. I agree with all the accolades people are throwing about with Aliens, but when I think back to the buildup, the first experience of watching it, and the aftermath of watching Empire not much stands up. The weeks leading up to seeing Empire were torturous, as was getting tickets to opening night. Then the giddy thrill of the ride, with the crowd clapping as the 20th Century Fox beat began leading to the opening lines scrolling into space, the meeting of old friends one by one, the meeting of Yoda, the big reveal, the freaking line, "I know" followed by carbonite and then, the cliffhanger of an ending that started the three year wait for the saga's conclusion impacted generations for years to come. The experience was awesome, and each time I watch it, the same grin comes back each time.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Both are great movies. I think fond childhood memories of TESB is why I voted it not sure if it is the better film but I could watch alien until later (age restrictions) . But alien is lucky to be here since its a 70s film...
    All in all Mae great tournament, thank you...

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Both are great movies. I think fond childhood memories of TESB is why I voted it not sure if it is the better film but I could watch alien until later (age restrictions) . But alien is lucky to be here since its a 70s film...
    All in all Mae great tournament, thank you...
    It's not Alien (1979), it's Aliens (1986).

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Pretty easy for me, Empire. I agree with all the accolades people are throwing about with Aliens, but when I think back to the buildup, the first experience of watching it, and the aftermath of watching Empire not much stands up. The weeks leading up to seeing Empire were torturous, as was getting tickets to opening night. Then the giddy thrill of the ride, with the crowd clapping as the 20th Century Fox beat began leading to the opening lines scrolling into space, the meeting of old friends one by one, the meeting of Yoda, the big reveal, the freaking line, "I know" followed by carbonite and then, the cliffhanger of an ending that started the three year wait for the saga's conclusion impacted generations for years to come. The experience was awesome, and each time I watch it, the same grin comes back each time.
    I had that similar experience with ESB but my Aliens experience was just a tad better. It was the summer before college and my buddy and I tried to get tickets to the midnight first showing of Aliens but it was sold out. Luckily for us they were doing a 2:30AM showing due to demand and we got into that one. A sold out theater at 2:30AM was crazy and the audience matched it. Cheers from the start and during all the "right" notes but when Ripley took command of the APC to rescue the space marines, the place exploded with shouts of pure joy. I loved the design of the Xenomorph and seeing so many of them on screen just blew my mind. I also loved the actors in Aliens more. Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton and the rest of the cast were just perfect imho. I believe Alien is still the best film of the franchise but Aliens holds a special place in my heart due to the experience which is a tad higher than my 12 yr olds self's ESB experience.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I had that similar experience with ESB but my Aliens experience was just a tad better. It was the summer before college and my buddy and I tried to get tickets to the midnight first showing of Aliens but it was sold out. Luckily for us they were doing a 2:30AM showing due to demand and we got into that one. A sold out theater at 2:30AM was crazy and the audience matched it. Cheers from the start and during all the "right" notes but when Ripley took command of the APC to rescue the space marines, the place exploded with shouts of pure joy. I loved the design of the Xenomorph and seeing so many of them on screen just blew my mind. I also loved the actors in Aliens more. Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton and the rest of the cast were just perfect imho. I believe Alien is still the best film of the franchise but Aliens holds a special place in my heart due to the experience which is a tad higher than my 12 yr olds self's ESB experience.
    I believe that THIS decade was one of the most (and will be) personal ones as many here were young and had these kinds of memories of the older films here. The age demographic of this group has many warm 'coming of age' feelings towards the 80's. I am 43 and it really does for me. BIG TIME and into the first part of the 90's.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nostalgia has a lot to do with it of course. I was born in 86' so I didn't get experience a lot of the theater going experiences some of you had and why I don't have a particular attachment to that decade. I either watched them on VHS growing up or went back and sought them out once I was a little older.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alien's

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd seen Aliens a good dozen times before I ever saw a Star Wars movie.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough one, no doubt. I LOVE, Aliens great action, timely and hip comedy quips and a cool premise and world. However, Star Wars will likely be the more enduring fil;m and have had the greatest cultural impact. That plus it's a great fucking film!!!

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Super random but whenever I think of Aliens the first scene that comes to mind is when they set up the sentry guns outside the blast doors and you see the ammunition display quickly spiraling towards 0. Idk why I think that scene is so bad ass.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    ok, that was cool. I forgot that part... been a long time!! ANyone know where the first two are streaming? AND please correct me if I am wrong... The first two are good but 3 is not?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast