View Poll Results: What year (approximately) did you start collecting books?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before 1970

1 2.22%
  • 1970-1979

3 6.67%
  • 1980-1989

11 24.44%
  • 1990-1994

0 0%
  • 1995-1999

6 13.33%
  • 2000-2004

11 24.44%
  • 2005-2009

4 8.89%
  • 2010-2014

5 11.11%
  • 2015-2019

4 8.89%
  • 2020 or later

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2020 Update: How long have you been collecting?

Servant of Gan amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I would say if they catch that burglar they should sentence him to reading LISEY'S STORY 100 times in a row, or life in prison, his choice.

But I won't say that, because it's not nice.
    LOL, I'll pass that along to the DA. He was arrested in June on another arrest warrant for burglary. After a couple of months fingerprints confirmed he was my guy, so another charge was added. I did recover 2 books (It and The Dead Zone). He is still awaiting trial in jail.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Blockade Billy Lettered edition

Gunslinger herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest has a brilliant future herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    That thread is about collecting, but I think that there should also be a discussion about selling out an entire collection.

Not long ago, I recently acquired something I looked for about 15 years ago and ended up talking to the seller.
    Someone that has a collectionf of 30,000 books and decided to start selling it all.
    The reason is pretty simple, and I think, is fair : he had some friends that had 10,000+ books that recently passed away, and their wives don't really know what to do with all the books. Nor what they are.

Which can connect to the other thread about "values", and also got me thinking. Although I was already wondering since a little while since I am truly running out of space and we are considering to see if we may be able to get a mortgage to buy something bigger.

But that lead me to some questions :
    - besides financial reasons, what would be the tipping point of turning a collectors into someone that sells their entire collection?
    - up until when some people decides to collect and then let everything go? do people have decided that they will sell in 5, 10 years, or never if they don't financially need it?

Because, aren't the collectors the best persons for selling the collection? We know the "value", we have some contacts and friends that may be interesting in some pieces... I know that I keep an excel file with a list of my items, my purchased cost and an estimated value (which can obviously vary over time, but I think it gives an overview) and a list of contacts.
    But if someone was to pass away, would the relatives really want to go through the hassle of selling 1000+ items individually and not the entire lot even if discounted?

And... should someone try to sell it all at once or individually, or over time in order reduce the tax paid on it (if that changes anything)?

Anyway, that's me just wondering out loud I guess but that's a subject that comes more an more into my mind.
    Good questions, and I think it is worthy of its own thread (if there isn't one already).
    Anybody else have some thoughts to chime in about that subject?
    I am currently going through about 500-100 fashion magazines from my wife, that she wants to get rid of.
    It's already quite consuming, and I am only stopping at the cover, not going throught the actual table of contents, which would probably help me selling it better with more names and keywords.
    I really don't see how someone living with a recently deceased person that owned 1,000 books or more would go through each and every one of them to sell them. Nor knowing how to best sell them or sell them more efficiently, even if I have excel file about them.

In order to maybe earn an extra 5 euros each? 5.0-100 euros each?
    It's a very time consuming thing, and frankly, it makes me think about my collection. And obviously, I could pass away before her too. Still.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I am currently going through about 500-100 fashion magazines from my wife, that she wants to get rid of.
    It's already quite consuming, and I am only stopping at the cover, not going throught the actual table of contents, which would probably help me selling it better with more names and keywords.
    I really don't see how someone living with a recently deceased person that owned 1,000 books or more would go through each and every one of them to sell them. Nor knowing how to best sell them or sell them more efficiently, even if I have excel file about them.

In order to maybe earn an extra 5 euros each? 5.0-100 euros each?
    It's a very time consuming thing, and frankly, it makes me think about my collection. And obviously, I could pass away before her too. Still.
    There was a seller on eBay who was selling her deceased husband's collection and put a decent effort into detailing and photographing each item. I found it very commendable.

Hell, I've been occasionally some items from my teenage years (little figurines and such) and even trying to detail something that I had previous knowledge of was EXHAUSTING after awhile. I couldn't imagine trying to sell thousands of books individually, unless it was over a very long period of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the widows of collectors just sold collections in bulk or had a third party sell the items.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I would say if they catch that burglar they should sentence him to reading LISEY'S STORY 100 times in a row, or life in prison, his choice.

But I won't say that, because it's not nice.
    LOL, I'll pass that along to the DA. He was arrested in June on another arrest warrant for burglary. After a couple of months fingerprints confirmed he was my guy, so another charge was added. I did recover 2 books (It and The Dead Zone). He is still awaiting trial in jail.
    Happy to hear you got some of the purloined books back!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2