31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Empire Strikes Back

20 64.52%
  • Die Hard

11 35.48%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Semifinal 1 of 2

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Also, "the jarring video and the horrible sound"? Were you watching a VHS? It's on Blu-ray and looks great in HD: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...on_blu-ray.htm No matter how old a film is, it can look amazing and brand-new in HD and even 4K.
    1080... sorry guys... I have trouble with it. I try... I LOVE FILM... you all know that. I just have this 'block'...
    Then can you truly say you love film?
    Why can’t I? We all have different tastes. I spend probably more money at the theatre than anyone here. Why? Cause I’m bored. Sorry my man, that’s not a fair question to ask me.
    I don't doubt that you love going to the movies. I have seen many of your entries on mostly current movies. Our tastes have certainly differed on many occasions. I just don't understand how anyone who loves film would write off decades of great films. I hope you get past your "block."
    Its not like I didn't try... I have over and over. I just do not enjoy older film. The mid 70's is probably where I begin to enjoy it... Do not know what else to say
    I'm pretty much with you here. Once you get before the 80's I have less and less interest in the films. There's obvious exceptions, but there's so much from back then that I just have no interest in watching, no matter how beloved it is or influential it is.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Die Hard
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...
    This right here blows my mind. So no Godfather I & II, A Clockwork Orange, Chinatown, etc?
    The Exorcist, American Graffiti, Blazing Saddles, Deliverance, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...etc.. I maintain that the 1970s is the best decade for film of all time.
    It might not be my personal favorite decade of films when taken in its totality, but I strongly believe it has the strongest Top 20 out of any decade, as well as containing many of the films considered to be Greatest of All Time;

The Godfather(s), Alien, Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Empire Strikes Back, The Conversation, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Rocky.

I mean... jesus christ.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Semifinal 1 of 2

From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...
    This right here blows my mind. So no Godfather I & II, A Clockwork Orange, Chinatown, etc?
    The Exorcist, American Graffiti, Blazing Saddles, Deliverance, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...etc.. I maintain that the 1970s is the best decade for film of all time.
    It might not be my personal favorite decade of films when taken in its totality, but I strongly believe it has the strongest Top 20 out of any decade, as well as containing many of the films considered to be Greatest of All Time;

The Godfather(s), Alien, Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Empire Strikes Back, The Conversation, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Rocky.

I mean... jesus christ.
    Hmmm pretty sure Empire was an 80's film.

PS: the Conversation is considered WHAT? Hell no.. I have never heard this before. I watched it as it was on a thiller list. It was hard to watch... a real snore fest.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think feev meant the original Star Wars (1977).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, meant Episode IV. My bad, brain fart

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, meant Episode IV. My bad, brain fart
    Yes of course! A masterpiece
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I mean... jesus christ.
    That is what I meant, maybe not the entire decade itself, but certainly the top crop is the best. When I made my post I stuck with pre-1975. Can't wait for the 1970s contest.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hate to see, Bruce go down, but Empire
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hate to see, Bruce go down, but Empire
    Totally agree.

Die Hard is a fantastic film, but it is no match against The Empire Strikes Back.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

ESB

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Empire Strikes Back moves on and Die Hard is eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2