31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Empire Strikes Back

20 64.52%
  • Die Hard

11 35.48%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Semifinal 1 of 2

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Semifinal 1 of 2

During the eighth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the final. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Directed by Irvin Kershner

Watch Trailer

Die Hard (1988)
    Directed by John McTiernan

Watch Trailer

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad ESB didn't have to go against Stand by Me in this round....also a shame that Seven Samurai wasn't here - since the space western and number of characters, etc was based a lot off of that one - if you haven't seen Seven Samurai - highly recommend (we have all of the Kurosawa films - slowly going through them all)
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seven Samurai will be here when we do the 1950s tournament... in a few years.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought everybody hates Star Wars now?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I thought everybody hates Star Wars now?
    I do.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Alas, I know you guys are doing them... but will be sitting it out. From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...

Will you group the 60's and aback or decade by decade?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yup, the plan is to do each decade of film from the 1920s to the 2010s, ten decades and 100 years of film. And then a playoff between the ten winners of each decade.

The details are in the first post of the main Overview thread: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...Event-Overview

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, the plan is to do each decade of film from the 1920s to the 2010s, ten decades and 100 years of film. And then a playoff between the ten winners of each decade.

The details are in the first post of the main Overview thread: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...Event-Overview
    The playoffs will rock!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The playoffs will rock!
    The Shawshank Redemption will win.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...
    This right here blows my mind. So no Godfather I & II, A Clockwork Orange, Chinatown, etc?

Country
    Country Flag

Also, "the jarring video and the horrible sound"? Were you watching a VHS? It's on Blu-ray and looks great in HD: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...on_blu-ray.htm No matter how old a film is, it can look amazing and brand-new in HD and even 4K.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, "the jarring video and the horrible sound"? Were you watching a VHS? It's on Blu-ray and looks great in HD: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...on_blu-ray.htm No matter how old a film is, it can look amazing and brand-new in HD and even 4K.
    The Godfather looks amazing in HD. It will look absolutely sick in 4K.

Country
    Country Flag

1080... sorry guys... I have trouble with it. I try... I LOVE FILM... you all know that. I just have this 'block'...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I have to disagree that HD / 4K makes things amazing. After reading numerous reviews that "The Man With No Name" trilogy were some of the best westerns ever made, I bought the blu-ray set. I love Clint Eastwood, but these movies were horrible. HD did nothing to account for the pew-pew effects and low budget filming. One can try to polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1080... sorry guys... I have trouble with it. I try... I LOVE FILM after 1980... you all know that..
    Edited for accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by TnTzDad View Post
    I have to disagree that HD / 4K makes things amazing. After reading numerous reviews that "The Man With No Name" trilogy were some of the best westerns ever made, I bought the blu-ray set. I love Clint Eastwood, but these movies were horrible. HD did nothing to account for the pew-pew effects and low budget filming. One can try to polish a turd, but it's still a turd.
    Low budget film making =/= a bad film. They were working with the tools at their disposal. If anything the fact that these debonair European film makers approached the genre with the intent of innovation despite the technical limitations of their time should be celebrated, not reprimanded.

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    1080... sorry guys... I have trouble with it. I try... I LOVE FILM after 1980... you all know that..
    Edited for accuracy

Low budget film making =/= a bad film. They were working with the tools at their disposal. If anything the fact that these debonair European film makers approached the genre with the intent of innovation despite the technical limitations of their time should be celebrated, not reprimanded.
    Fair enough. I guess I was misguided expecting True Grit-quality.

Country
    Country Flag

Edited for accuracy

No I do have loves from the 70's.. Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars to name a few biggies BUT that decade is where it gets 'iffy'.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Alas, I know you guys are doing them... but will be sitting it out. From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...

The Conversation is not the best film to base this off of. As great as it is, it's just a super slow burn. That's not your kind of film regardless of the decade. What about films like Bullitt, Dirty Harry, Death Wish? I think those are more your speed.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

1080... sorry guys... I have trouble with it. I try... I LOVE FILM... you all know that. I just have this 'block'...
    Then can you truly say you love film?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

From about 1975ish and back.. I cannot stand the film world. DO NOT SHOOT ME. I do not know why. I tried the watch a 73' flick called The Conversation with Hackman and Harrison Ford.... I could barely get by the jarring video and the horrible sound. I can only imagine how shitty that becomes when the 50's are reached. 80's and up for me with maybe a handful of 70's films...
    This right here blows my mind. So no Godfather I & II, A Clockwork Orange, Chinatown, etc?
    The Exorcist, American Graffiti, Blazing Saddles, Deliverance, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...etc.. I maintain that the 1970s is the best decade for film of all time.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Why can’t I? We all have different tastes. I spend probably more money at the theatre than anyone here. Why? Cause I’m bored. Sorry my man, that’s not a fair question to ask me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Tastes differ for sure and I know that as we go further back in time less and less people will participate and I'm okay with that. If we have around a dozen constant voters by the time we're doing the 1920s, I'll be ecstatic!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Why can’t I? We all have different tastes. I spend probably more money at the theatre than anyone here. Why? Cause I’m bored. Sorry my man, that’s not a fair question to ask me.
    I don't doubt that you love going to the movies. I have seen many of your entries on mostly current movies. Our tastes have certainly differed on many occasions. I just don't understand how anyone who loves film would write off decades of great films. I hope you get past your "block."

Country
    Country Flag

I don't doubt that you love going to the movies. I have seen many of your entries on mostly current movies. Our tastes have certainly differed on many occasions. I just don't understand how anyone who loves film would write off decades of great films. I hope you get past your "block."
    Its not like I didn't try... I have over and over. I just do not enjoy older film. The mid 70's is probably where I begin to enjoy it... Do not know what else to say
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast