34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back to the Future

16 47.06%
  • Stand by Me

18 52.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Quarterfinal 3 of 4

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Quarterfinal 3 of 4

During the seventh round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Back to the Future (1985)
    Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Watch Trailer

Stand by Me (1986)
    Directed by Rob Reiner

Watch Trailer

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Stand By Me!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Stand By Me
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What? No way, Back to the Future is iconic. Stand By Me is very very good, but come on now, let's not get silly

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Episode 403 of The King Effect

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    What? No way, Back to the Future is iconic. Stand By Me is very very good, but come on now, let's not get silly
    This + 1.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Episode 403 of The King Effect
    And definitely this + 1.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Silly does not even cover the differences between these two films. Let's hope Marty goes back in time and rectifies this current voting trend.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I really have to disagree on the notion that the love for Stand by Me is strictly a King effect. It was even mentioned in my senior year yearbook (granted just a picture of the poster and a comment that renting movies like Stand By Me was a fun thing to do on a Friday night).

I am really hoping that one of these two movies takes it all, so it was a hard vote, but I went with SBM. Both films are in my top 10 all time favorites.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

gotta agree there - back to the future has much broader appeal, its re-televised so many times - was just on TV the other day and I sat down to watch - I have seen that one countless times...Stand my me - once
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Stand By Me is 100% the King effect here. Put this poll out to the masses and Back to the Future would crush every single time.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm telling you right now, in future tournaments, King adaptations have to be banned. Come on, guys. Stand By Me is a fantastic film, but it's not even close to Back to the Future. This is literally the only place on the internet where Stand By Me would be considered better than Back to the Future.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a slippery slope when one starts to automatically ban different types of movies from consideration. Underdstandably animated movies are not included, but simply banning all King related movies is not going to happen. Just be happy (although I wish there were more great King films) that there are very few King adaptions considered worthy for thought. Most turned out to be fair at best, and poor in general.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm telling you right now, in future tournaments, King adaptations have to be banned. Come on, guys. Stand By Me is a fantastic film, but it's not even close to Back to the Future. This is literally the only place on the internet where Stand By Me would be considered better than Back to the Future.
    They have identical audience scores of 94% on rotten tomatoes. So it's not like there would be some definite clear cut winner between the 2 of them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    They have identical audience scores of 94% on rotten tomatoes. So it's not like there would be some definite clear cut winner between the 2 of them.
    Yes there would. It wouldn't even be close.

(But I'm not suggesting we ban any category of movies. Just acknowledging reality.)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

BTTF for me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This is literally the only place on the internet where Stand By Me would be considered better than Back to the Future.
    The only place.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, the gap has been closing and they're now only 4 votes apart. Could see another tie situation here...

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

While that's true. Stand By Me only has 270,197 user ratings while Back to the Future has 1,094,452. That's a really big difference. I think what you'd find with "the masses" is that in not only would more people pick Back to the Future, but more people in general will have seen Back to the Future and not Stand By Me. Back to the Future has left a major impact in our pop culture, where overall I think Stand By Me has gone largely forgotten. People have seen it, and they like it, but largely it hasn't really left a lasting impact.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    While that's true. Stand By Me only has 270,197 user ratings while Back to the Future has 1,094,452. That's a really big difference. I think what you'd find with "the masses" is that in not only would more people pick Back to the Future, but more people in general will have seen Back to the Future and not Stand By Me. Back to the Future has left a major impact in our pop culture, where overall I think Stand By Me has gone largely forgotten. People have seen it, and they like it, but largely it hasn't really left a lasting impact.
    Hear, Hear!...that's what she said
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It's a slippery slope when one starts to automatically ban different types of movies from consideration. Underdstandably animated movies are not included, but simply banning all King related movies is not going to happen. Just be happy (although I wish there were more great King films) that there are very few King adaptions considered worthy for thought. Most turned out to be fair at best, and poor in general.
    So you're cool when the Pet Sematary remake makes it to the sweet 16 whenever we do the tournament for the last decade? Because that's what's going to happen. Doctor Sleep will probably make a long run too.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not "cool" with it, but I accept it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I voted for Stand By Me, and it has nothing to do with it being a King story. I saw the movie well before I read the story, and probably before I even got into King. It's a great film, and I would choose to watch it over BTTF any day (let me be clear that I do think BTTF is a good film, but I'm having to choose between them here). I always thought Stand By Me was a highly respected film. I know there have been King films which get a pass here (Running Man I'm looking at you) but I don't think this is one of them. I'm actually surprised it seems to be drumming up so much hate in this thread.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

BTTF
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So you're telling me there's a chance?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast