Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Shining prequel series Overlook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Shining prequel series Overlook

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4353298.story
    Could we be in for a return trip to the Overlook Hotel?

Warner Bros.is quietly exploring the possibility of a prequel to “The Shining,” the 1980 Stanley Kubrick chillfest that many fans regard as the scariest movie of all time. The studio has solicited the involvement of Hollywood writer-producer Laeta Kalogridis and her partners Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt to craft a new take as producers, according to a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly.

The film would focus on what happened before Jack Torrance (of course played memorably onscreen by Jack Nicholson), his wife and their psychic son arrived at the haunted retreat where Torrance soon descends into violent madness. A WB spokeswoman cautioned that any "Shining" prequel was in a very early stage and not even formally in development.

Still, even the possibility of an addition to a modern classic is bound to get film fans excited or riled up (or both).

One factor that could aid the former: Kalogridis has a pedigree that's ready-made for this kind of material, having penned the macabre “Shutter Island” for Martin Scorsese two years ago. (In a somewhat different vein, she also was a key creative force on James Cameron’s “Avatar,” serving as an uncredited writer and an executive producer.)

Released initially to mixed reviews by Warners, “The Shining,” based on Stephen King’s bestselling 1977 novel, eventually gained acclaim and a unique pop-culture prominence. It’s been spoofed and referenced many times since, and is currently enjoying a moment of sorts thanks to “Room 237,” a documentary about the Kubrick film's many interpretations that made a splash at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.

King himself has been penning a sequel to "The Shining;" there's no word yet on whether there will be a movie adaptation of the new novel.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Prequel? In Shelly's womb? When Jack possibly kills a bicyclist?
    If it is a viable prequel, their only chance is The Overlook Hotel itself. Otherwise it's just a concept that upon initial observation has little or no real connection to "The Shining".

Thanks to Pablo for finding this info.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe based in part on Before the Play?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Off the top of my head, this seems like a really silly idea... Then again, I suppose we shall see what they can come up with.

Kudo's to "TDT.Org Sr. News Correspondent"!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    If it is a viable prequel, their only chance is The Overlook Hotel itself. Otherwise it's just a concept that upon initial observation has little or no real connection to "The Shining".

I think you may have nailed it. Given the success of American Horror Story I'm guessing it will be about the hotel itself.

P.S. Thanks Pablo!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I think you may have nailed it. Given the success of American Horror Story I'm guessing it will be about the hotel itself.

P.S. Thanks Pablo!
    Off topic, but I really like the new Avatar, Tim!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be stupid with Jack Nicholson in the lead role, seeing as he is over 30 years older now, and I have no interest in seeing it with anyone else in the lead role.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Maybe based in part on Before the Play?
    I am pretty sure that WB isnt aware of 'Before the play'... but otherwise, that could be an interesting lead...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not keen on the idea either. If it concerns the Overlook Hotel, I can't help thinking it will just be more of the same. I suppose it could explore how it became evil in the first place, perhaps be a 1920s/30s period piece.

If it's about Jack and co... well I'm not sure what there will be to explore. Jack was an alcoholic and sometimes abusive... erm... isn't that it? I know he had a bit of the shining too, hence the reason why he was so influenced by the hotel, so I suppose they could incorporate a bit of the supernatural too, make him see things, etc. but I don't think there is a lot of room for that.

I say leave Kubrick's piece as it is, rather good atmospheric one off.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Money talks ;-)
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I didnt really consider the idea of telling the original story of the previous caretaker. That I think I would be a story that would interest me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I'm not keen on the idea either. If it concerns the Overlook Hotel, I can't help thinking it will just be more of the same. I suppose it could explore how it became evil in the first place, perhaps be a 1920s/30s period piece.

If it's about Jack and co... well I'm not sure what there will be to explore. Jack was an alcoholic and sometimes abusive... erm... isn't that it? I know he had a bit of the shining too, hence the reason why he was so influenced by the hotel, so I suppose they could incorporate a bit of the supernatural too, make him see things, etc. but I don't think there is a lot of room for that.

I say leave Kubrick's piece as it is, rather good atmospheric one off.
    I really disliked Kubrick's interpetation of the book. So many unnecessary plot changes. The Shining is one of my fav's and he killed it IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary 2, Return To 'Salem's Lot, The Rage: Carrie 2, Creepshow 3, Children Of The Corn 2 - 29 (lol), Firestarter 2, The Mangler 2, The Mangler 3, Sometimes They Come Back 2, Sometimes They Come Back 3, etc.

Does anyone know what I'm gonna say next?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummmm...they all outdid the original?
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't they say in the movie that there was an indian burial ground somewhere near the hotel? I may be wrong.

IMO the only way to really make it good would to be about Grady and his 2 daughters. Give them a shining and make it into a thing where the little girls' powers wake up the hotel and how it works on Grady. Maybe get into some of the history of the hotel that's explored in the book.

If they do it, I hope they make Stewart Ulman into the prick he is in the book, vs the boob he is in Kubrick's movie.

Just finished a relisten of this book today, coincidentally. This book really bothers me.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the only way this movie would work is if it is the story of the original caretaker and his wife and two daughters. I would like to see that story fleshed out...but anything else...meh

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post

Exactly my thought.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Unless SK actually writes a prequel, I am not at all interested in watching some movie studio's guess at a prequel.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd see it regardless of what it's about. I'm not too picky when it comes to movies so long as the movie is entertaining.

Almost more exciting than the movie possibility is what it says at the end: "King himself has been penning a sequel to "The Shining;" there's no word yet on whether there will be a movie adaptation of the new novel." I had no idea ... definitely looking forward to this novel if it really is in development.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Forge of the King View Post
    I'd see it regardless of what it's about. I'm not too picky when it comes to movies so long as the movie is entertaining.

Almost more exciting than the movie possibility is what it says at the end: "King himself has been penning a sequel to "The Shining;" there's no word yet on whether there will be a movie adaptation of the new novel." I had no idea ... definitely looking forward to this novel if it really is in development.
    The sequel, Dr. Sleep
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! I just read the Wikipedia article on it. Sounds interesting, I'll definitely be reading it.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Glen Mazzara in talks to write Shining prequel, "The Overlook Hotel"

Glen Mazzara, the ousted showrunner of The Walking Dead, is in negotiations to pen the screenplay to what is being called The Overlook Hotel, the prequel to Stephen King’s horror classic The Shining.

For Mazzara, the project marks his first gig since he exited as showrunner on AMC's The Walking Dead. The prolific producer whose small-screen credits also include Crash and The Shield, recently signed a TV development deal with Fox Television Studios to develop cable projects for the studio under his new banner, 44 Strong Productions.

Under his oversight, The Walking Dead became TV's No. 1 scripted series in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...lks-pen-437829
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it's based on "Before the Play," there's some good stuff in that story that could make for an interesting movie. If it's not based on "Before the Play," you can color me uninterested...although I'll end up watching it anyways.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Please, PLEASE...I hope it'll be based on Before the play!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast