34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark

27 79.41%
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

7 20.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 8 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 8 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Raiders - another final four, I hope.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Raiders

I know about taste and all, but...anyone who prefers TOD to Raiders is pretty seriously fucked in the head (sorry, that's as diplomatic as I can make it).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I prefer Temple of Doom and not ashamed to admit it.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate both

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I hate both
    I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about the first two Indy movies. I've heard it about the 3rd and a lot about the piece of crap 4th one.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    I prefer Temple of Doom and not ashamed to admit it.
    Oh me too.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hate both
    I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about the first two Indy movies. I've heard it about the 3rd and a lot about the piece of crap 4th one.
    Nor I. He HAS to be kiddin!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I hate both
    I've honestly never heard anyone say that about the first one either. I find Temple of Doom to usually be the one that people hate on (and Crystal Skull of course). Personally I'm not a fan of Temple of Doom.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. How did that happen.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Raiders

I know about taste and all, but...anyone who prefers TOD to Raiders is pretty seriously fucked in the head (sorry, that's as diplomatic as I can make it).
    You can't say that. You have to take into consideration when a person sees a film. I saw Temple of Doom as a kid before Raiders. It stuck with me. Although I saw Raiders a few years later, Temple of Doom always will hold a special place in my heart. It's all about nostalgia for some people.

Country
    Country Flag

Raiders

Real classy thing to say. But your the guy they said the TV IT was the best ever. So.....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Raiders

You can't say that. You have to take into consideration when a person sees a film. I saw Temple of Doom as a kid before Raiders. It stuck with me. Although I saw Raiders a few years later, Temple of Doom always will hold a special place in my heart. It's all about nostalgia for some people.
    Well said. When Riaders came out I was like 5 years old or 6... so Temple stuck with me much more.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Raiders

Well said. When Riaders came out I was like 5 years old or 6... so Temple stuck with me much more.
    It's just inevitable. I'm aware of the fact that Raiders is probably the more technically superior film, but for my money, it's Temple of Doom.

Honestly though, that film gets way too much hate. There are some fantastic scenes in that film. The opening, the dinner scene, the back and forth assassin scene, the bug scene, THE FUCKING BRIDGE scene. It's way better than the haters make it seem.

Country
    Country Flag

Raiders

It's just inevitable. I'm aware of the fact that Raiders is probably the more technically superior film, but for my money, it's Temple of Doom.

Honestly though, that film gets way too much hate. There are some fantastic scenes in that film. The opening, the dinner scene, the back and forth assassin scene, the bug scene, THE FUCKING BRIDGE scene. It's way better than the haters make it seem.
    Agree totally. So many great scenes. When Indy and her are fooling around and find the secret passage way! I mean the railway car chase scene?!?! Come in!!! Yes it’s dark and a different tone but I loved it. And loved Short Round too.

PS: MONKEY BRAINS!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Raiders

Agree totally. So many great scenes. When Indy and her are fooling around and find the secret passage way! I mean the railway car chase scene?!?! Come in!!! Yes it’s dark and a different tone but I loved it. And loved Short Round too.

PS: MONKEY BRAINS!
    Sorry, but Radiers so superior, and more than just "technically." Usually films that have to introduce a new character like this get bogged down in origin story telling - think of how many Marvel films do better the second time around. Raiders manages all we need in the opening sequence and with one college lecture. It's so efficient. And yes, it's also probably an age thing. I was 17 when the first one came out. Keep in mind that the age thing is also attached so Star Wars, as I already had an attachment to Harrison Ford though one of the most indelible films of all time (I would have been 13 when I first saw that one). I'll be honest, I actually like the third Indy film better than Temple as well, probably because of my attachment to Sean Connery through James Bond. And I said it before, Short Round = Jar Jar Binks to me, and not in a good way.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ToD for me.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You can't say that.
    I can't? Thanks for clearing that up.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Country
    Country Flag

You can't say that.
    I think he meant it was not very nice of you to say that. I found it quite rude of ya man...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Raiders

Real classy thing to say.
    As a service to those for whom the obvious is anything but:

I wasn't insulting anyone; I merely used colorful language to express my strong feelings about these movies (I'm not actually suggesting that anyone preferring TOD suffers a mental problem).

But your the guy they said the TV IT was the best ever.
    Indeed I am, but don't blame me; it's not my fault the Muschiettis fucked Chapter 2 up to a fare-thee-well.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...for my money, it's Temple of Doom.

I actually agree; I believe TOD is a fun film with lots to enjoy (I don't hate it), while still thinking it utterly pales in comparison to Raiders.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Short Round sucked though. No negotiation on that.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Sorry, but Radiers so superior, and more than just "technically." Usually films that have to introduce a new character like this get bogged down in origin story telling - think of how many Marvel films do better the second time around. Raiders manages all we need in the opening sequence and with one college lecture. It's so efficient.
    All true.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    ...I actually like the third Indy film better than Temple as well...
    Last Crusade was much better than TOD, almost matching Raiders; both films had more of a gritty, dangerous quest feel than the more comic-y TOD.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You can't say that.
    I think he meant it was not very nice of you to say that. I found it quite rude of ya man...
    I'm talking movies, not people. This is the internet; sarcasm and hyperbole can be ten stories tall and don't have to hurt a bit.

Country
    Country Flag

You can't say that.
    I'm talking movies, not people. This is the internet; sarcasm and hyperbole can be ten stories tall and don't have to hurt a bit.
    Might wanna go back and read your ignorant comment. Directed AT people. In fact, 6 people. Six people who chose TOD because it meant something to them more than Raiders. That’s all I’m saying. Take for it What you will... ten stories tall and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast