37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Terminator

26 70.27%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street

11 29.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 4 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 4 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The Terminator (1984)
    Directed by James Cameron

Watch Trailer

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Directed by Wes Craven

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

As much as I love Terminator, I had to go with Nightmare. Another game changer in the genre. A Craven masterpiece, though it appears that not too many agree at this point.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    As much as I love Terminator, I had to go with Nightmare. Another game changer in the genre. A Craven masterpiece, though it appears that not too many agree at this point.
    We do NOT like the same movies. haha Im shocked any red blooded male OR even female could choose that Nightmare movie over T1
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    We do NOT like the same movies. haha Im shocked any red blooded male OR even female could choose that Nightmare movie over T1
    Yeah, we are clearly not hanging out any time soon - we are opposites on the only three that I have voted on so far.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yeah, we are clearly not hanging out any time soon - we are opposites on the only three that I have voted on so far.
    I know crazy!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

If it wasn't for Michael Biehn I would have voted for Nightmare.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nightmare
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You are not alone.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

“Whatever you do... don't fall asleep.”

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. Both are great films but for me Nightmare is slightly above. It's too iconic. And I'm one of those people who prefer T1 to T2.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    ...And I'm one of those people who prefer T1 to T2.
    Does anyone prefer T2? Good movie, yes, but...come on.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I thought it was a pretty popular opinion that T2 > T1.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Is it? I don't know what people think about these movies in general (I'm not up on the "movie talk"); I just would find that amazing (T2 was a fine sequel, but T1 was a groundbreaking original).

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hey, some people prefer leftovers, I guess.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

T2 is the superior film for me, but I can understand why some would list T1 higher. They're both expertly crafted tho.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it? I don't know what people think about these movies in general (I'm not up on the "movie talk"); I just would find that amazing (T2 was a fine sequel, but T1 was a groundbreaking original).
    T1 was the original, but T2 perfected the formula.

I didn't include collider's list because they actually put T1 over T2 (mostly for nostalgia reasons I think) but here is their blurb about T2. Seems to be a pretty good argument for putting T2 first if you ask me.

Terminator 2 (or T2, as it was styled in its inescapable marketing campaign) was a bonafide phenomenon when it was released in the summer of 1991. It seemed like everyone in the world was talking about this movie, and it went on to become the biggest movie of the year, the biggest of both Schwarzenegger and Cameron’s respective careers at the time, and the biggest R-rated movie ever made (again, at the time). And a huge part of that film’s zeitgest-capturing buzz were its much-touted visual effects, specifically how they were used to create the liquid metal look of the film’s villain, the T-1000.

T2 was the first time mainstream audiences had seen CGI visual effects on this level, based on technology Cameron had experimented with on his previous film The Abyss. T2’s effects were mind-blowing at the time, and earned Cameron his reputation for being on the bleeding edge of new filmmaking technology. And it’s hard to overstate how game-changing the T-1000 was, in terms of both concept and execution (quite honestly, the series has never been able to top the T-1000). The only Cameron-helmed Terminator sequel gets some deserved criticism for essentially being the same movie as the first, but the action set pieces are some of the best ever filmed, and the upgraded liquid metal Terminator is the kind of once-in-a-lifetime idea that redefines genres and makes other filmmakers burn with jealous rage.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm of the opinion that T1 > T2 and Alien > Aliens even though Aliens has Michael Biehn.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I didn't include collider's list because they actually put T1 over T2 (mostly for nostalgia reasons I think) but here is their blurb about T2. Seems to be a pretty good argument for putting T2 first if you ask me.

Terminator 2 (or T2, as it was styled in its inescapable marketing campaign) was a bonafide phenomenon when it was released in the summer of 1991. It seemed like everyone in the world was talking about this movie, and it went on to become the biggest movie of the year, the biggest of both Schwarzenegger and Cameron’s respective careers at the time, and the biggest R-rated movie ever made (again, at the time). And a huge part of that film’s zeitgest-capturing buzz were its much-touted visual effects, specifically how they were used to create the liquid metal look of the film’s villain, the T-1000.

T2 was the first time mainstream audiences had seen CGI visual effects on this level, based on technology Cameron had experimented with on his previous film The Abyss. T2’s effects were mind-blowing at the time, and earned Cameron his reputation for being on the bleeding edge of new filmmaking technology. And it’s hard to overstate how game-changing the T-1000 was, in terms of both concept and execution (quite honestly, the series has never been able to top the T-1000). The only Cameron-helmed Terminator sequel gets some deserved criticism for essentially being the same movie as the first, but the action set pieces are some of the best ever filmed, and the upgraded liquid metal Terminator is the kind of once-in-a-lifetime idea that redefines genres and makes other filmmakers burn with jealous rage.
    I have nothing whatsoever against T2, but this blurb seems to boil down to 2 things: T2 had better special effects (which, to me, doesn't make it the better film), and had a giant buzz (which came from the fact that people had already seen the franchise's iconic opener - T1!).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    I'm of the opinion that T1 > T2 and Alien > Aliens even though Aliens has Michael Biehn.
    Wait - are there actually people who don't think the original Alien was the best entry in that series?

(Clearly, I don't have my finger on the pulse of the moviegoer.)

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alien and Aliens are two different genres (horror vs action) expertly done. So it boils down to which genre you prefer. A lot of people like action more it seems so Aliens seem to have an edge. I love both but probably would watch Aliens more because I have to be in the mood for horror.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Terminator!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be back
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A Nightmare on Elm Street1129.73%
    divemaster DoctorZaius Heather19 Iwritecode Jean mae Sai Sheb Shannon St. TroyT-Dogz_AK47Tommy

most of the usual suspects

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast