38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Shining

17 44.74%
  • Blade Runner

21 55.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 3 of 16

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I wonder of the results would be the same on a non-SK website...
    Ask and ye shall receive: I made this poll today on a different forum. I'll post the link later today when more people get their votes in.
    I'll be quite curious as well. The Shining is considered one of the best horror films made, so it's not like we're comparing a cheesy King adaptation to Blade Runner.
    We have 28 votes in this poll. Should I lock the other one at 28 or let it run for a day?
    Let it run for another day, but also let us know the results so far.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's at 24 votes right now:
    https://boardislife.proboards.com/th...g-blade-runner

ATM it's a tie if we add up votes from both polls.

Edit: it's Blade Runner 16, The Shining 12.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A truer reflection of what the results should be I feel. A lot of King films get further in the tournaments here than they actually deserve.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Depends on the crowd. From my personal experience, a lot more people know and can talk about The Shining. I have to explain to most regular folks what Blade Runner even is. So I guess what I am saying is The Shining is more accessible to people so in polls with regular folks it will probably win. In polls where most participants consider themselves knowledgeable about movies, Blade Runner probably has an edge. For example, IMDB has The Shining 61st while Blade Runner is 167th. On Rotten Tomatoes, The Shining only has an 85% with critics but a 93% audience score. Blade Runner has a higher critic score at 90% but a lower audience score at 91%.

So what I am taking a long time to say is that I don't think you can 100% claim The Shining is only leading because of the poll being on this site. To be honest, I am kind of tired of hearing this claim especially when applied to movies that are really good on their own (ie Shawshank.)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    So what I am taking a long time to say is that I don't think you can 100% claim The Shining is only leading because of the poll being on this site. To be honest, I am kind of tired of hearing this claim especially when applied to movies that are really good on their own (ie Shawshank.)
    Even though The Shawshank Redemption is very good in its own right, I don't think it warrants the label "Best Movie of All Time" (2009 tournament) or the title "Best Film of the 90's" either. If the same tournaments were run outside of this forum, The Shawshank Redemption would lose.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Shining leads by two votes but we're at 28 votes, and we've averaged around 30 votes per poll so it's possible for there to be a tie or maybe for BR to pull ahead by one... we shall see

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Even though The Shawshank Redemption is very good in its own right, I don't think it warrants the label "Best Movie of All Time" (2009 tournament) or the title "Best Film of the 90's" either. If the same tournaments were run outside of this forum, The Shawshank Redemption would lose.
    Once (hopefully) we go through each decade and do a real best of all time movie round-robin tournament, it will be interesting how Shawshank will fare against the other decade winners.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"Blade Runner" I can take or leave, but I fucking HATE, Kubriks "The Shining"!!!!!! What a piece of steaming crap!!!! And a waste of, Nicholson's great talent.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    IMDB has it number 1. That isn't a Stephen King forum.

Just saying you can't assume.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "Blade Runner" I can take or leave, but I fucking HATE, Kubriks "The Shining"!!!!!! What a piece of steaming crap!!!! And a waste of, Nicholson's great talent.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but IMO, anyone who thinks The Shining is a "piece of steaming crap" comes across as an uneducated oaf. Disliking it is one thing, but your description just hurts your case.

Country
    Country Flag

And we are tied at 15.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hard to discern, but I count stated votes 4-1 in favor of The Shining. Of course mae is the ultimate arbiter.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Just re-watched BR on Netflix. I had forgotten that Joe Turkel was in it. He's in The Shining too. He wins either way.

Country
    Country Flag

Shining is now ahead by one with 31 votes.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Blade Runner 31, The Shining 27

Interesting.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Blade Runner 31, The Shining 27

Interesting.
    That looks right to me. Both are great, it's a shame they met so early in the playoffs (not even technically the playoffs yet), but BR for me is slightly higher.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It was always going to be a close call. Both movies are classics and other than 2-3 responses, people are having a hard time deciding. My conclusion -- and I could be wrong -- is that the King factor matters less when it comes to classics and blockbusters than it does with his Bs and lesser works. The Graveyard Shift making it to round two is where the King factor came more into play than in The Shining vs. Blade Runner face-off.

As for either of the movies influencing pop culture or being recognizible... sorry, not how I decide if and what I like about a movie.

None of this means much irl but it was an interesting experiment.

Along the Path of the Beam Red_Balloon has a spectacular aura about Red_Balloon has a spectacular aura about Red_Balloon has a spectacular aura about

Love Blade Runner! The amazing fashion aside, so many games/ movies/ music owe thier origins to Blade Runner: Deus Ex/ Cyberpunk 2077/ Syndicate Wars ( perhaps ~ not sure of time line) The Matrix! Gary Numan: Outland and so much more ... Just watched a video on the new Cyberpunk game and was blown away by how much CD Pojekt Red were influenced by Blade Runner and how they have adapted this into thier game! Felt compelled to share it x Stay safe y'all x

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but IMO, anyone who thinks The Shining is a "piece of steaming crap" comes across as an uneducated oaf. Disliking it is one thing, but your description just hurts your case.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is remarkably close to that of a "Vagina"!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<------------------------Goes to grab Ban Hammer

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was very easy for me. Both are Masterpieces in their respective genre but Blade Runner was not only a Masterpiece it was a groundbreaking film. I also feel it was the pinnacle of the art of Movie Making, the fact that is was made without the aid of CGI is a testament to that.

“All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
    Time to die” - Roy Batty
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It was always going to be a close call. Both movies are classics and other than 2-3 responses, people are having a hard time deciding. My conclusion -- and I could be wrong -- is that the King factor matters less when it comes to classics and blockbusters than it does with his Bs and lesser works. The Graveyard Shift making it to round two is where the King factor came more into play than in The Shining vs. Blade Runner face-off.

As for either of the movies influencing pop culture or being recognizible... sorry, not how I decide if and what I like about a movie.

None of this means much irl but it was an interesting experiment.
    Huh? I don't remember Graveyard shift even being nominated, much less making it to round 2.

Shining for me, if it comes to stated votes.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Blade runner

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think both movies are great, but my choice between the two is Blade Runner without hesitation.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

for once bears disagree with Heather and St.Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think both movies are great, but my choice between the two is Blade Runner without hesitation.
    This, yes. I am not sure though that The Shining is actually great; but very good anyway.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast