Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And it's coming pretty fast!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And it's coming pretty fast!

Lol she has a breakdown of a movie that’s not even out yet. Omf
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! I'm so happy we don't have to wait ages for news of a second film. This puts me at ease.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    It's a breakdown of the news.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    It's a breakdown of the news.
    Something the world
    Legitimately doesn’t need. I’m sorry. I cannot stand her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Meh - part 1 was so lackluster. It felt like literally nothing happened in this movie. It was 2 and a half hours of setup for Dune part 2. None of the characters are relatable, no one built any types of relationships. Duncan’s "death" felt meaningless and hollow.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Meh - part 1 was so lackluster. It felt like literally nothing happened in this movie. It was 2 and a half hours of setup for Dune part 2. None of the characters are relatable, no one built any types of relationships. Duncan’s "death" felt meaningless and hollow.
    I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that wasn't impressed with Dune. It is better than the Lynch fiasco but to me this Dune was just average.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that wasn't impressed with Dune. It is better than the Lynch fiasco but to me this Dune was just average.
    You know, I have to kind of agree. Visually, this version was stunning. The cinematography in this version was far superior as were the FX, of course. Sometimes though, I feel like he fell in love with the visuals to the detriment of the story. I watched the. Lynch version right after and even though, Lynch was always a little wacky for me (JMHO) and of course didn't have the FX tech available now, he really didn't do a wholly terrible job on the film. In fact, I still believe some of his cast were better than the new ones. Sting, was born for the role of Feyd (I know he really hasn't entered, Denis' film so far) like, Nicholson was to be, Jack Torrance. Thufir, was a better fit in the Lynch version (IMHO). Lynchs', Jesscia was better to name a few. To be sure some of the new cast was spot on like, Paul, Gurney and Idaho. Chani as well.

Just seemed a little like, Denis spent a little too much time showing us the vistas of Aarakis and lagged the plot. IDK, as I said I enjoyed it but it was a little lacking. Made me appreciate the, Lynch failed attempt a little more and hopefully, he'll come out swinging in 2 years in part two.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I saw it in the theater yesterday. Generally, I’m hugely positive. Definitely should not be seen at home.

It’s a slow burn, much like the book.Very faithful to the text, apart from a couple of obvious departures. I think a few things did not come across particularly well, though, which may lead to some confusion. It’s hard to tell, because I understood what specific scenes meant, but I’m not sure someone who hadn’t read the book would. The movie was very Paul-centric, which I can understand, but longer scenes with other characters might have explained things better. I suspect we will have an extended edition of the film on home media.

The design and feel of the world was masterful. Acting was superb. I don’t think a better movie of Dune that is this faithful to the text could be made.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Dune again today and enjoyed it equally as much. The first showing was in 3D, which I didn't realize when I bought the tickets. I honestly didn't think it was still a thing.

One of my main issues with 3D has always been how it washes out the visuals. Needless to say, the film is even more stunning to look at than my initial impressions.

I do have a few things that stood out to me, both are spoilers.

Spoiler:
    Gurney just disappears. His character is built up as being a badass and someone who is important to the story. We see him rush off into battle, but we never see him again one way or the other. If he's dead, that's a pretty lame off-screen death. If he's alive, then a hint of that at some point would have been nice.

Bautista's character is built up as the main bad guy, but he never gets his "scene." Honestly, the fact that Duncan Idaho doesn't square off against him is a missed opportunity. I would have loved to have seen that.

All in all, Dune is one of the best theater experiences I have had in a long time and I really can't wait to explore this world more. This is also a day 1 Blu-ray purchase for me. Long live Denis.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The film did a better job of this than the book, in my humble opinion. When reading the book, you get a sense that Herbert has a lot of unwritten backstory about some of the supporting characters that he never included in the book itself. Gurney Halleck, Thufir Hawat, and Duncan Idaho are all present, and are shown to have a close relationship with Paul, but we don’t really get very many scenes of them before events leave them behind. Duncan’s death, particularly, doesn’t have the emotional resonance I think Herbert intended, precisely because we really don’t spend much time with him.

The movie included some exchanges between Duncan and Paul that showed a bond between them and added weight to those later scenes. I do understand that it might not have been enough for some, though.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

saw Dune today in the theater and really enjoyed it. Visually spectacular.

My first time back in a theater in 18+ months
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

Perfect film to welcome you back to the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

Perfect film to welcome you back to the theater.
    Great movie for a return to the theater! It was my second movie since things opened up (the new Bond was the first).

Ilium (Simmons)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I watched it the other day on HBO Max. Still not ready to go back to a theater. I thought it was good. Not OMG good, but decent. I haven't read the book in decades, but I could remember scenes from it as they were playing out on the screen.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I watched it the other day on HBO Max. Still not ready to go back to a theater. I thought it was good. Not OMG good, but decent. I haven't read the book in decades, but I could remember scenes from it as they were playing out on the screen.
    I think you would think more of it had you seen it in theatre. And to back Bev… it’s safe and you will be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Pick the right time and you will likely be by yourself. I've been going to the movies since they reopened back up in September of 2020. I would say about a dozen of those times I was the only person in the theater.

Recently, there are more people, but if you pick an early showing, you will be one of a very few people.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I quit going in theaters way before any pandemic. People are just stupid and rude in theaters - always talking, moving around, playing on their f'ing phones, etc. We do go to the drive-in now and then but would much rather just watch at home.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    I quit going in theaters way before any pandemic. People are just stupid and rude in theaters - always talking, moving around, playing on their f'ing phones, etc. We do go to the drive-in now and then but would much rather just watch at home.
    I don't see that at all. I love going to the movies
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You live in a much smaller city than I do (Dallas) and well, Canadians are overall much more polite than Americans!

Country
    Country Flag

You live in a much smaller city than I do (Dallas) and well, Canadians are overall much more polite than Americans!
    yes We try to be polite. lol About half a million where i live so a lot smaller
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

First showing on a Sunday. It will be you and two old ladies. I guarantee it.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Be happy this isn’t a thing in the US.

I’ve been lucky in that the two times I’ve been back to the theater recently, we’ve had a good number of people in the theater, but they all seem to be there to watch the movie. It was nice seeing it with other people without any of the downsides of loud talking or people moving around.

I think the theater layout helped as well. These were big comfortable seats with some distance between them, so quiet talking wasn’t heard.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast