Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man I went on Reddit last night and THIS WAS ROASTED. I didn't think it was that bad and I know nothing of the books. But my goodness... there was so much hate for this trailer. I read about 100+ comments under the post and only one or two were ok. The rest were scathing... lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man I went on Reddit last night and THIS WAS ROASTED. I didn't think it was that bad and I know nothing of the books. But my goodness... there was so much hate for this trailer. I read about 100+ comments under the post and only one or two were ok. The rest were scathing... lol
    Such as what? Did you watch the above video from a noted Dune expert? He loved it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Such as what? Did you watch the above video from a noted Dune expert? He loved it.
    Just that it looked horrible. They HATED the Pink Floyd.. that was a recurring 'issue'. They hated the sombre tone. They hated the focus of the trailer and thought it would have done better to show other characters. Again, I only stumbled on it and am sharing here. I don't yet know what I think. BUT many did say on the comments... that the trailer for Blade Runner 2049 (only one of his films I didn't like) and for Arrival ( I loved it) sucked and they loved those so MANY had faith. They were just slamming the choice of the trailer. One guy even said that the studio didn't do it themselves... but hired out a company to do it and that could be why it was so bad... but he provided no proof.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Denis the GOAT about to give us another sci-fi masterpiece. Loved the tone and feel, and holy s what a superb cast.

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying. Though so far the Dark Tower sub is pretty enjoyable. In fact, now that I think about it, as I’ve sunk into my obsession with the Tower I’ve found the community to be one of the more positive and embracing around. These forums have reinforced that 😁

Country
    Country Flag

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

They HATED the Pink Floyd.. that was a recurring 'issue'.
    Anyone who hates Pink Floyd is not to be taken seriously.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Jere View Post
    I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying.
    Pretty much this. There's a cadre of viewers poised to accuse any big movie as being "too woke" or "not faithful to the source material", so you will get that regardless of what's actually in the trailer. I've heard complaints about Liet-Kynes being made a female character (male in the book), and the choice of the word "crusade" (rather than the novel's use of "jihad"). Personally, neither of those things bother me in the least.

(That's not to say that no criticism is valid; just that the presence of that criticism isn't an indication that the film will be badly received)

BTW Kris, as said before, this film will be cover the first half of Dune, the first book in the series. There will be a second film to complete the first book. There are six books altogether in the Dune series, but the first one stands alone enough that they could make these two films and call it a day, without the story feeling incomplete.

(If reading the books, though, I would *highly* recommend reading all six. There are developments and complexities in later volumes that are really wonderful.)

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying.
    Pretty much this. There's a cadre of viewers poised to accuse any big movie as being "too woke" or "not faithful to the source material", so you will get that regardless of what's actually in the trailer. I've heard complaints about Liet-Kynes being made a female character (male in the book), and the choice of the word "crusade" (rather than the novel's use of "jihad"). Personally, neither of those things bother me in the least.

(That's not to say that no criticism is valid; just that the presence of that criticism isn't an indication that the film will be badly received)

BTW Kris, as said before, this film will be cover the first half of Dune, the first book in the series. There will be a second film to complete the first book. There are six books altogether in the Dune series, but the first one stands alone enough that they could make these two films and call it a day, without the story feeling incomplete.

(If reading the books, though, I would *highly* recommend reading all six. There are developments and complexities in later volumes that are really wonderful.)

HBJ
    Think if good enough we could get them all? All 6 books?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

HBJ
    That would be great. Some of them are a bit tough to film, I would imagine, but it could be done.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    That would be great. Some of them are a bit tough to film, I would imagine, but it could be done.
    God Emperor of Dune in particular would be tough to film in part because it’s separated from both the third and fifth novels by centuries. A great book but of the six original it might work best as a scifi drama mini-series bridging the films’ eras.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Denis the GOAT about to give us another sci-fi masterpiece. Loved the tone and feel, and holy s what a superb cast.
    Anybody roasting the trailer is not a fan of film. Anybody who knows anything would know that it's directed by Denis. That alone means the film should be given a chance. Plain and simple. Reddit is a cesspool anyway. That and the fact it's impossible to follow a conversation.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

HBJ
    God Emperor of Dune in particular would be tough to film in part because it’s separated from both the third and fifth novels by centuries. A great book but of the six original it might work best as a scifi drama mini-series bridging the films’ eras.
    Agreed. I think GEoD might work as a standalone movie or miniseries. It is a sequel to the third volume in the series, but it could work as an independent tale set in the same universe.

(GEoD is great, by the way. It might be my favourite of the series, although Dune Messiah is also pretty great.)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    Agreed. I think GEoD might work as a standalone movie or miniseries. It is a sequel to the third volume in the series, but it could work as an independent tale set in the same universe.

(GEoD is great, by the way. It might be my favourite of the series, although Dune Messiah is also pretty great.)

HBJ
    Man I should read these. I just never have.... are they Game of Theones dense? I cannot stand that. My mind wanders a bit when I read and I love it but dense books I have a big issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I don't think the Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) books are dense at all. By breaking up each chapter with a different character perspective, I think it makes what could be a tough read into a really manageable one.

I think Dune is probably the most accessible of the six. Start with that. The others can be heavy going, particularly the first time through, so if you find Dune too dense, you will probably bounce off the others.

They are very satisfying and thought-provoking, though. Dare I say it, the sequels make Dune better.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    See, I don't think the Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) books are dense at all. By breaking up each chapter with a different character perspective, I think it makes what could be a tough read into a really manageable one.
    They are. I can asssure you I am not alone in that thought process either.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Game of Thrones was an easier read than Dune. That might be partly because I prefer fantasy to SF.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

They're dense with character and locations, but the prose is pretty straight forward.

I broke down and watched the trailer. It looks very promising, indeed.

It looks pretty close to the source material - and a few shots are reminiscent of the 1984 movie, although that may just be because the scenes themselves are so identifiable.

I like the feel of the movie, but I wonder whether it will fare the same as Blade Runner 2049, where it will be atmospheric and slow moving, but not a box office hit. I hope moviegoers will have the patience to give it a chance.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the feel of the movie, but I wonder whether it will fare the same as Blade Runner 2049, where it will be atmospheric and slow moving, but not a box office hit. I hope moviegoers will have the patience to give it a chance.
    I have felt the same way since the film was announced. Dune is not a property that is well known by mainstream audiences.

I think they really need to play up the romance angle. Young women go crazy for Chalamet, they need to feed into that. Obviously, the virus has added a whole other layer of concern when it comes to the box office.

I do think Dune will get pushed to 2021 like Wonder Woman. Reports have mentioned that WB doesn't want to cut into Tenet's box office.

Country
    Country Flag

DUNE now delayed. There is no way theatres can last through the winter with no films!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

DUNE now delayed. There is no way theatres can last through the winter with no films!

A big chain closed their locations until movies are actually being released

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

A big chain closed their locations until movies are actually being released
    Seen that but how long can they hold on? Still bills to pay being closed

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast