Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Very strong first reactions: https://www.indiewire.com/news/gener...ns-1234954467/

Can't wait to see the fan screening on the 25th

Country
    Country Flag

Watched it last night and it was very good, not sure I see the "masterpiece" labels exactly, but it's definitely a great movie:

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I WAS gonna see it tonight, but my b*a friends rescheduled so now I have to wait a week cause I said I'd watch it with them

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Herbert novels are among my favorites, as was Dune Part 1. Part two was equally great in my mind. It kind of meanders at times, but I still loved every minute, except for the final shot - I don't get the director's choice there at all. Must have been a contractual thing. 9.5/10

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just happy we are getting films like Dune. I had serious concerns a few years ago we would even see fantasy epics like Dune make it to theaters. I was convinced the only stuff studios would greenlight were superhero movies.

I'm not going to lie, I think the superhero fatigue we are experiencing right now might be the best thing to happen to film since color.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm just happy we are getting films like Dune. I had serious concerns a few years ago we would even see fantasy epics like Dune make it to theaters. I was convinced the only stuff studios would greenlight were superhero movies.

I'm not going to lie, I think the superhero fatigue we are experiencing right now might be the best thing to happen to film since color.
    ITs not superhero fatigue.. its the fact that the last really well made film was The Batman. Marvel hasn't made a good one (when they once dominated the board with good ones.. always over 80/90% on Rotten...) since the last Spiderman. If they start putting good movies out agian? It will make a difference. Wait for DC... James Gunn don't play around.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If we never got another superhero film again (DC, Marvel, whatever), I'd be OK with that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    If we never got another superhero film again (DC, Marvel, whatever), I'd be OK with that.
    Pos rep coming your way.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

ITs not superhero fatigue.. its the fact that the last really well made film was The Batman. Marvel hasn't made a good one (when they once dominated the board with good ones.. always over 80/90% on Rotten...) since the last Spiderman. If they start putting good movies out agian? It will make a difference. Wait for DC... James Gunn don't play around.
    But it is. They're bad because they are either franchises that have either grown stale or they were part of the B-Team (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man) or they are properties nobody really cared about to begin with (Marvels, Eternals).

The larger issue is that the stakes are so much lower. After the climax that was Endgame, everything was just going to seem kinda basic.

No matter what property we are talking about, there's only so much you can do with these films before they all just feel like a lot of the same thing.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But it is. They're bad because they are either franchises that have either grown stale or they were part of the B-Team (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man) or they are properties nobody really cared about to begin with (Marvels, Eternals).

The larger issue is that the stakes are so much lower. After the climax that was Endgame, everything was just going to seem kinda basic.

No matter what property we are talking about, there's only so much you can do with these films before they all just feel like a lot of the same thing.
    Lets see how it goes when XMen are back... I think we will get some good ones back
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Is this a Dune thread or a Marvel one?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Never.

Superhero movies will never die.

Ever.

Get mad.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Is this a Dune thread or a Marvel one?
    It's a Dune thread and while I enjoyed Dune 2, I wasn't blown away. I much prefer the first film and hope Dune 2 is just suffering from middle-film syndrome.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Dune 2, but I also wasn't a huge fan of it. I thought the first film had a better flow to it, even with the final act feeling like a really, really long falling action after a Climax. I think if they were watched back-to-back, it would be a more whole experience. Denis hasn't even signed on for Dune 3 yet (so far as I know) so if we get Dune 3, who knows what the quality would be like if decides not to do it. I'd imagine he'll want to do it, but you never know.

I wasn't blown away by the first Dune film nor Part 2. I think they're both about a 3.5/5 range for me, though that may change when I rewatch them since I've never read the books or seen Lynch original, meaning it's quite a lot just to take in the story the first time around. And the story didn't really do it for me. It just lacks that human element for me to cling to, you know?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I liked Dune 2, but I also wasn't a huge fan of it. I thought the first film had a better flow to it, even with the final act feeling like a really, really long falling action after a Climax. I think if they were watched back-to-back, it would be a more whole experience. Denis hasn't even signed on for Dune 3 yet (so far as I know) so if we get Dune 3, who knows what the quality would be like if decides not to do it. I'd imagine he'll want to do it, but you never know.

I wasn't blown away by the first Dune film nor Part 2. I think they're both about a 3.5/5 range for me, though that may change when I rewatch them since I've never read the books or seen Lynch original, meaning it's quite a lot just to take in the story the first time around. And the story didn't really do it for me. It just lacks that human element for me to cling to, you know?
    No I dont know... you have to be the only one I know that did not like it. I mean you loved the whole Negan mess of Walking Dead but say this didn't work? I cannot wrap my hear around that brother. I just cant dude
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just watched part 2 and I have a question for readers of the book. Was the religious/holy war aspect of the movie that prevalent in the books? It definitely is more present here than in Lynch's version.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

No I dont know... you have to be the only one I know that did not like it. I mean you loved the whole Negan mess of Walking Dead but say this didn't work? I cannot wrap my hear around that brother. I just cant dude
    I didn't say that I didn't like it. First three words of my comment are literally "I liked Dune". 3.5/5 = good movie. I simply wasn't blown away by the either film on first viewing. As for the whole Negan mess of Walking Dead, Negan is amazing. But I could drop 5,000 words right now on how misguided season 6b through the end of Season 8 (Season 8 is the worst season of the show) of The Walking Dead are, and how many missteps they made (few, if any, actually involve Negan as a character though). I would give that stretch of The Walking Dead a lower rating than I gave Dune though so I'm not quite sure what your point is fam lol.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I just watched part 2 and I have a question for readers of the book. Was the religious/holy war aspect of the movie that prevalent in the books? It definitely is more present here than in Lynch's version.
    I can't speak for the ideas of the prophecy, but I know they incorporated more elements from Dune Messiah into this film than is in the original book. I can't tell you how much or what specifically.

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/d...ar-1235960990/
    Following the massive success of “Dune: Part Two,” director Denis Villeneuve may have found his next project.

The filmmaker is in discussion to reunite with Legendary for an adaptation of Annie Jacobsen’s Pulitzer Prize finalist “Nuclear War: A Scenario,” Variety has confirmed. Legendary also confirmed that it is working with Villeneuve to develop a third “Dune” film.

Legendary optioned the feature film rights to Jacobsen’s nonfiction book; Villeneuve is currently in talks with the studio to produce, adapt and/or director. His producing partner Tanya Lapointe would also be a part of the project.

Released on March 26, Jacobsen’s book “explores a ticking-clock scenario about what would happen in the event of a nuclear war, based on dozens of exclusive new interviews with military and civilian experts who built the weapons and have been privy to the response plans and have been responsible for those decisions should they have needed to be made.”

Meanwhile, Villeneuve’s “Dune: Part Two” is still raking in money at the box office, having already amassed $630 million worldwide. The sequel, led by Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya and a host of other Hollywood A-listers, is currently the highest-grossing film of 2024. In the film, Chalamet’s Paul Atreides takes his place as the prophesied chosen one and fights to exact revenge against those that destroyed his family. Villeneuve’s first “Dune” movie, released in 2021, grossed $402 million globally.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Give me Messiah first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11