It seems the league is done after shutting the league down today and effectively terminating all employees. Apparently only a small skeleton crew of executives remain at the Stamford CT off.

While they originally announced intentions to play in 2021, it appears that may not be in the cards. I have a feeling when they announced those intentions a month ago it was because forecasts were promising in that a return to normally was mere months away, and with how much worse the situation has gotten they changed their tune. If the world has no returned to normalcy by the end of 2020 then they can't run training camps or do tryouts, they probably still couldn't have so many players together on the field as football requires, and they probably certainly couldn't play games in front of 15,000 fans. If they felt TV numbers alone could keep them afloat in 2021, they'd probably still be going.

This is a shame because the XFL was a pretty fun product that was engaging from it's opening weekend. Sports journalists and media praised the production of the broadcasts, especially the Fox Sports broadcasts, and quickly began positing that the NFL should begin to adapt rules created by the XFL, like the referee/replay transparency, the lack of extra point kicks, and the much loved kickoff format.

The play was just beginning to ramp up too as teams in the first few weeks had no film or game data to study, and no teams had faced a team twice yet after only 5 weeks of play.

In terms of players and staff, all players had already received their base pay and benefits for the 2020 season. One source claimed that players and staff received a high than usual amount for a final check that is estimated to be just over 1,000. While it's not much, at least they gave everyone something before they had to shutter the doors.

It's just a damn shame. I don't know if anyone else here was watching the XFL, but it was fun watching football again. I can't support the NFL and I don't find their product all that enjoyable, so I guess I'm not watching football again. It was fun for a month!