10 32.26%
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

15 48.39%
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off

10 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 4 - Group 5 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 4 - Group 5 of 16

During the fourth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Terminator (1984)
    Directed by James Cameron

Watch Trailer

Batman (1989)
    Directed by Tim Burton

Watch Trailer

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
    Directed by John Hughes

Watch Trailer

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Ferris needs more love.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Ferris needs more love.
    Agreed.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ferris and E.T for me

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Batman at 35%, what nonsense is this?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Terminator
    Ferris
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Batman at 35%, what nonsense is this?
    I wanted to vote for it but couldn't quite fit it in.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ALL Great movies here. BUT Terminator and ET have total classic status. Ferris was the only movie I can remember watching in School though... tough one here. AND I LOVED Batman. Uggg.. wish these were broke up better
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Honestly I think these are all "classics" and it mostly comes down to personal prefrence. I think I voted Terminator and Batman, but could have easily gone Batman and Ferris. I never had much love for ET unfortunately.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, did not expect E.T. to pull so far into second against the other two.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Ferris needs more love.

"He's a righteous dude."

Also that movie was my first recollection of the post credit scene. I was absolutely startled as I walked staggered from my seat.

Also my big crush on Jennifer Grey began and was confirmed a year later by Dirty Dancing.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, did not expect E.T. to pull so far into second against the other two.
    Really. I like it just the way it is right now: Terminator (1), ET (2), Ferris (3), and Batman (4). I kinda hope it stays this way.

Country
    Country Flag

I just think Batman is such a great film. It's my #2 movie of 1989, just behind The Abyss. It's a nearly perfect film. Just the score alone...

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just think Batman is such a great film. It's my #2 movie of 1989, just behind The Abyss. It's a nearly perfect film. Just the score alone...
    I agree with how great it is, but this is a really tough group. ET affected a generation like few films have. The Terminator is a seminal piece of science fiction, just like Ferris is for teen comedies, especially with the fourth wall breaking. The only problem with Batman, is that it suffers by comparison to the Nolan films. I also see Batman II as the better of the Burton films. I know that's not fair, but that's how I see it.

Country
    Country Flag

Ironically enough, I nominated Batman Returns in the 1990s tournament and it went unseconded, I was very sad. And we shouldn't be comparing this Batman to anything else, because in 1989 there was no real Batman films at all! This was the first serious dark comic book movie. And it still holds up immensely. The gorgeous sets and costumes and art direction, I already mentioned the score, it's just chef's kiss. This was admittedly my first exposure to Batman and superheroes and so I will always associate Batman with the mood of this film. But that bias aside it should easily be higher than Ferris or E.T. on its own objective merits.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...we shouldn't be comparing this Batman to anything else, because in 1989 there was no real Batman films at all! This was the first serious dark comic book movie.
    Good point (I'm old enough to remember when it came out and how it hit everyone).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The thing about E.T. - I saw it in theaters when it came out, and I completely understand why it was and is a gigantic favorite, but it has far too much saccharine for my taste. Walking out of the theater, I overheard a woman raving about the movie, and immediately thought "I hate you people" (no, I don't actually hate people who like E.T.; I just had no patience for the omnipresent E.T. worship that had just begun to envelop the world).

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

1989 (If given the choice, I'd watch each of these over Batman): Do the Right Thing (my #1), Abyss (my #2), Dead Poets Society, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Steel Magnolias, When Harry Met Sally, Lethal Weapon II, The Little Mermaid, Sex-Lies-and-Videotape, Field of Dreams... Dialog is so important to me in a film, and the dialog in Batman is pretty lame. Sorry.

I hate that Batman II never got seconded. That's criminal.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I like all of these movies. I usually vote for what I will watch multiple times and Ferris is one of those movies for me. Same for Terminator, but that one doesn't need the votes.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Ferris needs more love.

"He's a righteous dude."

Also that movie was my first recollection of the post credit scene. I was absolutely startled as I walked staggered from my seat.

Also my big crush on Jennifer Grey began and was confirmed a year later by Dirty Dancing.
    I always thought she was way cuter before the nose job.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Ferris needs more love.

"He's a righteous dude."

I always thought she was way cuter before the nose job.

She has a nose? I've never noticed.Maybe I'll consider looking at her face once or twice.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Terminator (74.19%)
    2. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (48.39%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Batman (32.26%)
    2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (32.26%)

+ Reply to Thread