Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Random King-related news

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deal...er-2022-11-21/
    Penguin Random House, the world's largest book publisher, and smaller U.S. rival Simon & Schuster have scrapped a $2.2 billion deal to merge, Penguin owner Bertelsmann (BTGGg.F) announced on Monday.

Bertelsmann, a German media group which owns Penguin, initially said it would appeal a U.S. judge's decision that said its purchase of Simon & Schuster would be illegal because it would hit authors' pay.

But Bertelsmann said in a statement that it "will advance the growth of its global book publishing business without the previously planned merger of Penguin Random House and Simon & Schuster."

Reuters reported on Sunday that the German company was unable to convince Paramount Global (PARA.O), Simon & Schuster's owner, to extend their deal agreement and appeal the judge's decision.

The U.S. Justice Department "is pleased that Penguin Random House and Simon & Schuster have opted not to appeal," Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Kanter said in a statement.

Judge Florence Pan of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled on Oct. 31 that the Justice Department had shown the deal could substantially lessen competition "in the market for the U.S. publishing rights to anticipated top-selling books."

With the deal's dissolution, Penguin will pay a $200 million termination fee to Paramount.

Paramount said on Monday that Simon & Schuster was a "non-core asset" to Paramount. "It is not video-based and therefore does not fit strategically within Paramount's broader portfolio," the company said in a filing on the deal's termination.

Unlike most merger fights, which focus on what consumers pay, the Biden administration argued the deal should be stopped because it would lead to less competition for blockbuster books and lower advances for authors who earn $250,000 or more.

Penguin writers include cookbook author Ina Garten and novelists Zadie Smith and Danielle Steele, while Simon & Schuster publishes Stephen King, Jennifer Weiner and Hillary Rodham Clinton, among others.

The U.S. Justice Department filed a lawsuit aimed at stopping the deal in November 2021.

In hearings held in August, the government argued that the largest five publishers control 90% of the market, and a combined Penguin and Simon & Schuster would control nearly half of the market for publishing rights to blockbuster books, while its nearest competitors would be less than half its size.

The top five publishers are Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, Macmillan, Simon & Schuster and Hachette, with Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) and Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) also in the market. HarperCollins is owned by News Corp (NWSA.O).

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They didnt really have any choice with the antitrust
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I thought the Simpsons It was great, and too bad King declined the cameo (it read fine to me).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The author has seen a significant bump in sales (hundreds of copies in a couple of days) and interest from international publishers!

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

~Jonathan

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if those anniversary editions will be 1st printings or reprints.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gallery 13 will release the whole Dark Tower graphic novel series as 3 giant omnibus volumes !

1) Beginnings, in september

2) The Gungslinger, in october

3) The Drawing of the Three, in november

CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a new Christine 40th anniversary edition released by Scribner.

As far as I saw, it doesn't have anything different from other editions than the cover:

https://www.simonandschuster.com/boo.../9781668018071
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

They've been releasing a few of "anniversary" editions those past couple of years or so.
    Check here : EOTD, Dolores, Running Man and Christine indeed :

https://www.simonandschuster.com/aut...n-King/1666839

Country
    Country Flag

New limited edition of CARRIE by Hodder, the uk publisher

https://specialeditionbooks.co.uk/pr...reader-edition

Country
    Country Flag

In theory, the "Carrie" Constant Reader Edition is supposed to ship mid-august
    https://specialeditionbooks.co.uk/products/carrie

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

A tad late on this one, but did anyone pick one up?

Stephen King's Thinner: The Original Screenplay Paperback – January 10, 2023
    by Tom Holland (Author) & Michael McDowell (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Kings...5739462&sr=8-7
    ~Jonathan

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Seems like a low-demand item.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that Michael McDowell helped write the screenplay, I didn't know that.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Elliot HP Spencer has a spectacular aura about Elliot HP Spencer has a spectacular aura about Elliot HP Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this in but I thought people might be interested in reading this article about the sad fate of this Stephen King collector and his sizable collection. It also shows how slimy people can be.

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2...m_medium=email

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    A tad late on this one, but did anyone pick one up?

Stephen King's Thinner: The Original Screenplay Paperback – January 10, 2023
    by Tom Holland (Author) & Michael McDowell (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Kings...5739462&sr=8-7
    There is also The Langoliers screenplay on amazon

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot HP Spencer View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this in but I thought people might be interested in reading this article about the sad fate of this Stephen King collector and his sizable collection. It also shows how slimy people can be.

A name familiar to most of the TDT members is mentioned in the article.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Interesting article, thanks for posting. I hope they catch the bad guys and get the books returned.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

An unfortunate situation and a noble gesture from a forum member.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

An unfortunate situation and a noble gesture from a forum member.
    Ralph is a great guy but sadly has not been a forum member for like 5 years or more.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Default RIP Tim Underwood

Tim Underwood (1948-2023)

Publisher and author Tim Underwood, 75, died October 11, 2023 in hospice.

Tim Edward Underwood was born January 12, 1948 in Sault Ste Marie MI. Underwood co-founded small press Underwood Miller in 1976 with Chuck Miller; their first book was a hardcover of The Dying Earth by Jack Vance that same year. They went on to publish works by Philip K. Dick, Robert E. Howard, Robert Silverberg, Roger Zelazny, and more, plus art books on Hannes Bok, Virgil Finlay, and other creators, until closing in 1994.

In 1994, Underwood launched his own Underwood Books, specializing in art books. He published 20 volumes of the annual Spectrum anthology, along with books featuring artwork by Frank Frazetta, Donato Giancola, Jeffrey Catherine Jones, Ilene Meyer, John Jude Palencar, Gahan Wilson, and others, along with occasional fiction and non-fiction works by authors including Dick, Ellison, and Silverberg.

Underwood was an expert on the work of Jack Vance, and created bibliographies Fantasy and Science Fiction by Jack Vance (1977, with Chuck Miller), Fantasms: A Bibliography of the Literature of Jack Vance (1978, Daniel J.H. Levack), and Fantasms II: A Bibliography of the Works of Jack Vance (1979, with Levack & Kurt Cockrum). With Miller, he wrote Jack Vance (1980), part of the Writers in the 21st Century series. He and Miller also edited numerous books on Stephen King, including Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King (1982), Kingdom of Fear: The World of Stephen King (1986), Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King (1988), and Feast of Fear: Conversations with Stephen King (1992). Working alone, he published Stephen Kings Spills the Beans (2008), Savage Art: 20th Century Genre and the Artists that Defined It (2010), and Shameless Art: Paintings of Dames, Dolls, Pin-ups, and Bad Girls (2010).

For more see his entry in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction.
    ~Jonathan

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

RIP.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2024/theater/new...na-1235865940/
    Once banned in China, Stephen King’s “The Shawshank Redemption” had its much-anticipated debut as a stage play in the country’s tech capital Shenzhen on Jan. 4. Adding to its unusual status, the play is performed in Chinese by a cast of Western actors who are based in the Middle Kingdom.

Based on King’s novella “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption,” the 1994 Frank Darabont-directed film adaptation “The Shawshank Redemption,” starring Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, became one of the most iconic and enduring movies for millions of viewers around the world. Thirty years later, it still regularly appears on lists of most popular films. Complete with corrupt prison officers and a cunning jail break, the story closely observes a friendship and the fears of inmates who are being held in the Shawshank State Penitentiary, a maximum-security prison.

The picture has had a bumpy history in China. While the original was made at a time when China had few modern cinemas and was importing minimal numbers of Hollywood films, it was later given prominence and played as the closing title of the 2005 edition of the Shanghai International Film Festival. But, following the real-world escape from house arrest by blind lawyer Chen Guangcheng and the U.S.-China diplomatic incident that followed, online searches for “Shawshank” were blocked on the Chinese internet and social media in 2012. The film’s anti-authoritarian leanings may also have fed into the temporary ban.

The new stage adaptation aims to move beyond that and portray a message of hope and endurance. It is directed by well-known actor and film director Zhang Guoli (“Back to 1942,” “The 601st Phone Call”).

The narrator, Red, is played by Mark Rowswell, a Canadian who is better known by his Chinese name Da Shan. Beijing-born, U.S. actor Andy Friend (aka An Di), whose credits include Chinese blockbusters “The Wandering Earth” and “The Battle at Lake Changjin,” plays the corrupt warden Greg Stammas. Two other villainous antagonists Rooster and Hadley are portrayed by Shawn Patrick Moore and Matt William Knowles (“Asura,” “Son of the South”), respectively, while Australia’s James Clarke plays the hero Andy.

Zhang says he has translated the story’s western narrative into a unique cultural context for China. He is promising to deliver a linguistic evolution of the story with nuances from the two cultures.

“The play was translated from the English version and then adjusted using ideas from Stephen King’s novella as well as ideas from the film,” Knowles told Variety. “While play is still set in Maine, the characters all speak fluent Chinese and there is a blend of Chinese cultural ideas and phrases throughout to localize it for the Chinese audience.”

Zhang and Robbins previously worked together on 2011 Chinese epic film “Back to 1942” and the pair have since maintained a dialog, with Zhang keeping Robbins informed of preparations for the stage show. “When the producer first asked me to direct this play, you were the first person I thought of. As you may know, the film ‘The Shawshank Redemption,’ is the most beloved movie for Chinese audiences. Your character Andy brings hope and inspiration. For this production, we have assembled a cast of actors from 7 countries, performing in Chinese on stage for the first time. We plan to tour 20 cities next year. I hope this classic work will continue to shine brightly on the Chinese stage, bringing hope and strength to the people,” Zhang said in a letter.

There have been previous stage adaptations. In 2009, Owen O’Neill and Dave Johns were behind a version that premiered in Dublin. It later went on to London, New York’s Broadway and elsewhere.

The Chinese show is co-produced by the China Dream Live Entertainment and Longma Entertainment. “The Shawshank Redemption” will run in Shenzhen from Jan. 12-14, before touring to Shanghai (Jan. 18-21) and Beijing (Jan. 25-28).

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Not for me, but someone here may want one (or half a dozen):

https://www.sideshow.com/collectible...m_medium=email
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast