17 58.62%
  • Stripes

11 37.93%
  • Steel Magnolias

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 3 - Group 31 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 3 - Group 31 of 32

During the third round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
    Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Watch Trailer

Scarface (1983)
    Directed by Brian De Palma

Watch Trailer

Stripes (1981)
    Directed by Ivan Reitman

Watch Trailer

Steel Magnolias (1989)
    Directed by Herbert Ross

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Scared
    Country
    Country Flag

Stripeface
    Eliza dear, you know, there's something I should say

I never really loved you, but I'll miss you anyway

Servant of Gan DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sad day for Magnolias - what a great film
    WANTED:
    Drawing of the Three #255
    Gunslinger #255
    Charlie the Choo Choo - #255

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Is the love for Scarface a nostalgia thing? I don't think I saw it until maybe the 2000's and I don't think it really holds up.

Zombie Hunter Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Sad day for Magnolias - what a great film
    I know! I really wish I could have voted for it as well. It deserves to move forward but too many unique memories with Roger Rabbit and I love Scarface.

Zombie Hunter Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy has a brilliant future Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Is the love for Scarface a nostalgia thing? I don't think I saw it until maybe the 2000's and I don't think it really holds up.
    Ever seen the original one from the 30s? It's a nearly identical story except replace coke with alcohol cause it's set during prohibition. I love both of them.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023427/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Rabid Billybumbler ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai's Avatar

Scarface was the best gangster movie since the Godfathers, in my mind.
    And I loved Steel Magnolias before I moved to the South, and I have a deeper appreciation of that movie as time goes on.
    I rarely rewatch it, though. I blubber thru the last half everytime.
    "In the very depths of Hell, do not demons love one another?"
    ~ Anne Rice

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Scarface was the best gangster movie since the Godfathers, in my mind.
    And I loved Steel Magnolias before I moved to the South, and I have a deeper appreciation of that movie as time goes on.
    I rarely rewatch it, though. I blubber thru the last half everytime.
    God, after the first watch (and I have seen it several times) when THAT scene is coming I have to prepare myself emotionally.

Shirley Maclaine is a riot! I love her scene in the locker room.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aww I just want to give huggles to you both!

OnlychildIllinoisChicago Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Scarface is good, but I just can't buy Pacino's accent.

Bojack Horseman fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito has a reputation beyond repute fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah his accent is a little iffy, although tbf Cuban accents are a whoooole different trip.
    I'm responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm just nodding my head the whole time thinking "ok, stop now, please."

Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yeah his accent is a little iffy, although tbf Cuban accents are a whoooole different trip.
    I suspect he was trying to put that "Godfather Don" type of speaking into a Cuban accent.
    The Nation's Lt. Governors are prepared to sacrifice themselves for the economy.

OnlychildIllinoisChicago Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant has much to be proud of Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Rabid Billybumbler ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai has much to be proud of ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Aww I just want to give huggles to you both!
    Huggles!
    "In the very depths of Hell, do not demons love one another?"
    ~ Anne Rice

Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Is it HOT in here to anyone else?
    The Nation's Lt. Governors are prepared to sacrifice themselves for the economy.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Scarface (58.62%)
    2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (58.62%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Stripes (37.93%)
    2. Steel Magnolias (13.79%)

Servant of Gan DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all DoctorZaius is a name known to all

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Steel Magnolias deserved better.
    WANTED:
    Drawing of the Three #255
    Gunslinger #255
    Charlie the Choo Choo - #255

Guardian of the Beam Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

So does Stripes
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Goblin-Josh Malerman
    Swan Song S/L

+ Reply to Thread