Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: soothing a savage beast

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Default soothing a savage beast

We've heard the idiom about music being able to soothe a savage beast,
    and I'm sure I'm not the only one here to believe it.

What do you listen to to calm your nerves? To escape into a lyrical landscape apart from "the real world" and just chill?

Please share your suggestions here!
    Playlists, artists, videos..
    Whatever you got, bring it on!

For me, the blues always makes me feel better.
    This may not be strictly blues, but mannnn is it a treat for the ears and soul!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All I do is listen to music whenever I can and it soothes me, as you can see by the Now Playing thread. It doesn't have to be calm necessarily, but I do tend to listen to long-form slower electronic pieces when I need to relax. Too many things to name would fit under than, but any kind of ambient or downtempo stuff including deep house music, which can be pretty calming even with a dance beat.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I listen to ASMR videos on YouTube. Not kidding.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I am about as far from a connoisseur of classical music as it is possible to get, but there is a piece by Tomaso Albinoni called Adagio for Strings & Organ which transports me to another, very peaceful world every time I hear it. It is 8:09 minutes long on the CD I've got.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

HBJ
    This is very interesting. Ill have to give it a try.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here ya go, Ladysai

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Clapton is always a treat!
    Is he your go-to artist for chillin?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Clapton is always a treat!
    Is he your go-to artist for chillin?
    Yes, he's Da Man!!!!! lol lol

Mostly when he plays the blues. Wore out my "24 nights" CD!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    All I do is listen to music whenever I can and it soothes me, as you can see by the Now Playing thread. It doesn't have to be calm necessarily, but I do tend to listen to long-form slower electronic pieces when I need to relax. Too many things to name would fit under than, but any kind of ambient or downtempo stuff including deep house music, which can be pretty calming even with a dance beat.
    Your posts in NP are always worth a listen and often a new listen for me, so thanks for that!

Youre absolutely right...music can be absorbing at any tempo.
    Im hoping folks will share whatever they listen to when in a "Calgon take me away" kinda mood.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't understand why heavy metal calms me but it does every time! But then so does a lot of the 70's soft rock.

HBJ
    Welcome to the club. There are some triggers that are like nails on a chalkboard to me but there are ones I like that surprise me. I'm VERY picky about what I like.

HBJ
    This is very interesting. Ill have to give it a try.

Yup you should. I'd be happy to steer you to some you may like. Some of them are downright annoying though. I was surprised at some of the triggers I like. I'm not one to get the "R" in ASMR like many do but they DO put me in a relaxed state (Indiana?)

What I'm chillin' to right now is 80's Ozzy and:

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

I did some looking around at ASMR videos, and it may be that I didnt dig into them deeply enough because I got loads of people whispering...
    cringe...and those sounds drive me batshit crazy. Like you said, nails on a chalkboard.
    But thats just me. If whispery sounds help people unplug and enjoy, then have at it and enjoy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Yeah, ASMR is a mixed bag. There are just a couple of channels that I listen to regularly, and usually to help me get to sleep. But there are a lot of mediocre channels out there – and there’s a whole “sexy ASMR“ sub genre that I stay away from. It’s pretty cringe-y.

I tend to gravitate towards soft-spoken ASMR, rather than whispering, and there are some wordless page–turning ASMR channels which I find very soothing. I don’t like tapping or scratching videos.

My favorite channel is GaslampASMR, although he’s shut up shop recently. He has mostly soft-spoken videos, and a real variety of subject matter.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't care what everyone says; you're not a weirdo for this.

[I'm actually not making fun of you, just having a laugh. I'm actually afraid to look too deeply into those videos...what if I like them?]
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Billy joel and most country music (RIP Kenny Rogers) always chills me down.
    Music can calm the soul especially when you have a positive childhood memory to attach to it..

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I don't care what everyone says; you're not a weirdo for this.

[I'm actually not making fun of you, just having a laugh. I'm actually afraid to look too deeply into those videos...what if I like them?]
    Even if you were making fun of me, that would be fine.

I’m well aware of the stigma of these videos have, and I wouldn’t have admitted to watching them if I couldn’t handle how people will judge me for it. I like them, and they help me get to sleep.

Ilium (Simmons)

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Music can calm the soul especially when you have a positive childhood memory to attach to it..
    I agree, but Id extend that sentiment to include ANY positive memories attached to a song.

Ive spent most of the day listening to old club music, which brings back the freewheeling feeling of partying with friends, feeling invincible, feeling like we're on top of the world and these are the best of times.
    Music has serious power, imho.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Music has serious power, imho.
    Agree 100% (I love music, maybe a bit too much), but I struggle to understand why. I love books just as much, but whereas the logic of that appeal seems obvious to me, I struggle to grasp why certain sounds absolutely lift me off the ground (is it healthy to get goosebumps every time I hear Steven Wilson's Song Of Unborn?).

All art is communication, bonding us to others, so I suppose that's part of it, but still, it feels like something is happening inside me when something sounds really good.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The power of music can be a downer too; since my father passed away, I struggle to listen to things I connect with the passage of time or with innocence, even things as basic as Rainbow Connection are just, I can't get through them. It's as if emotions you'd believed had lost your address appear in your living room in the middle of the night, having made themselves comfortable - and maybe a drink, as well -before you knew they were there.

This is true, music is a double-edged sword.

A few days before my daddy died, he had "a neurological incident" and he was unresponsive, but he sang " The Wayward Wind" over and over again for hours.
    I will never listen to that song again.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Everybody hates them but I love Imagine Dragons. But I have a lot more, I must thank Mae for introducing me to this...

I also love Gas (insert joke here).....

Rain sounds...

Fats will be playing at my funeral....

Beethoven!! My God, BEETHOVEN!

So much more, Marvin Gaye, Pink Floyd, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, some Prince even some NIN....So much more to list.

I suppose this beast needs a lot of soothing.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This song strikes at something positively primordial in me, it's power over me is complete....

Spooky but soothing at once, not easy to do....

I love me some Fats Domino. The horns get me everytime.
    Ill be in that second line anyday!

One of the few artists I could listen to for hours on end without changing over.

I'm a southern boy so Lynard Skynard makes an appearance too, Free Bird, Tuesday's Gone and Simple man and this one are probably my favorites....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This is a topic I can't let go.

I remember the first time I heard David Gilmour's On An Island (the song, not the album); I got the chills and thought "here we go" when an acoustic strum during a break seemed to signal that something was about to happen, and it did (he launched into one of his best solos ever). It was like I knew the solo was there (again, first time hearing it), and - why does music have this effect?

I think music is about as close as humans come to actual magic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast