• They Live

10 35.71%
  • My Neighbor Totoro

9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 3 - Group 27 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 3 - Group 27 of 32

During the third round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Back to the Future Part II (1989)
    Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Watch Trailer

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
    Directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik

Watch Trailer

They Live (1988)
    Directed by John Carpenter

Watch Trailer

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
    Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Watch Trailer

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Future and Christmas. Both my favs And classics!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Christmas Vacation (I do not care who it belongs to)
    They Live
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Totoro is the only thing worth voting for.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

None of them worth voting for.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Not even Totoro?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've tried. Tried real hard, to get into anime. I've seen the "must-sees." Akira; Ghost in the Shell; the entire run of Cowboy Bebop. Miyazaki. I just don't see the appeal. In every other sense, I'm an Asianophile, and have probably seen more live-action Asian moves than 99% of other round-eyes. I hated Princess Mononoke. I've seen Castle in the Sky and don't remember a bit of it. I've got Kiki on my shelf, but no real motivation to watch it. Maybe in a pinch. Have I seen Totoro? Possibly. I can't say for sure, without checking my spreadsheet. Metropolis (not Miyazaki, I know) was "okay." I bought the soundtrack CD of Paprika, because I just love the music from it, but I have no desire to watch it again.

I will give you Spirited Away, though. I've seen it numerous times and every time except for the first, it's a 5-star film in all respects that can easily sit in my "top 25" or whatever.

So there you have it. Obviously I've done due diligence, and that's where I fall out.

Country
    Country Flag

That's fair, but personally when you say "don't see the appeal" of anime, I don't really classify these animated films as anything separate from live action films. I gauge all films on equal footing, whatever the medium or country of origin. After all, it's the story that's most important. How it's told is often secondary. If the story doesn't appeal to you, that's perfectly fine. But if it's the medium itself, that I have a harder time understanding. Film is film!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've tried. Tried real hard, to get into anime. I've seen the "must-sees." Akira; Ghost in the Shell; the entire run of Cowboy Bebop. Miyazaki. I just don't see the appeal. In every other sense, I'm an Asianophile, and have probably seen more live-action Asian moves than 99% of other round-eyes. I hated Princess Mononoke. I've seen Castle in the Sky and don't remember a bit of it. I've got Kiki on my shelf, but no real motivation to watch it. Maybe in a pinch. Have I seen Totoro? Possibly. I can't say for sure, without checking my spreadsheet. Metropolis (not Miyazaki, I know) was "okay." I bought the soundtrack CD of Paprika, because I just love the music from it, but I have no desire to watch it again.

I will give you Spirited Away, though. I've seen it numerous times and every time except for the first, it's a 5-star film in all respects that can easily sit in my "top 25" or whatever.

So there you have it. Obviously I've done due diligence, and that's where I fall out.
    Oh, please watch Kiki, that's one of my personal favorites, and it's very different from the likes of Princess Mononoke, or Naussica. It's such a cute, sweet little film.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Totoro is the only thing worth voting for.

Christmas Vacation is one of my favorite movies ever. And BTTF2 is really good.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

BTTF2 is the best BTTF!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    BTTF2 is the best BTTF!
    Can't argue that.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    BTTF2 is the best BTTF!
    Can't argue that.
    I wholehearted disagree. The first and the third are infinitely better.

https://ew.com/article/2015/10/21/ba...re-2-versus-3/

https://andrew-hankinson.co.uk/film/...future-ranked/

Country
    Country Flag

Nope. Going back to the first one in the second one is genius.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, it's lazy.

Country
    Country Flag

Come on, Totoro

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, it's lazy.
    Have you read The Dark Tower?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Nope, it's lazy.
    Yes, and you point?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, it's lazy.
    Yes, and you point?
    TDT does that.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, it's lazy.
    Yes, and you point?
    TDT does that.
    I know, and I rank The Dark Tower itself near the bottom of the entire series. You're kinda proving my point.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, it's lazy.
    Yes, and you point?
    TDT does that.
    I know, and I rank The Dark Tower itself near the bottom of the entire series. You're kinda proving my point.
    The fact that both works do this time-travel thing doesn’t mean it didn’t work; in fact, I think it works fine in both. I only mentioned it to you in the first place because most people here like DT and I would’ve found it interesting if you liked it there by not in BTTF.

Country
    Country Flag

That's fair, but personally when you say "don't see the appeal" of anime, I don't really classify these animated films as anything separate from live action films. I gauge all films on equal footing, whatever the medium or country of origin. After all, it's the story that's most important. How it's told is often secondary. If the story doesn't appeal to you, that's perfectly fine. But if it's the medium itself, that I have a harder time understanding. Film is film!
    Well, I kindof agree. I mean, I love Disney. Something like The Little Mermaid, which has a wonderful story, really hits home with me. And I'd say that's due in some part to the animation. I'm not sure I'd like it as much if it were live action. But who knows? I love The Princess Bride, and that's a live action fairy tale. Maybe it's the songs that put Disney over the top for me. All I know is that Japanimation does not have the same effect on me as Disney at all. Maybe it *is* the stories. There seem to be a lot of robots and tentacles and stuff in anime; lots of mecha. Hell, I don't like the Hollywood Transformers movies either; there's no way I'm going to like something like Akira. Cowboy Bebop was better, because it focused heavily on the people (sortof like Firefly), rather than being all techno. But I'd still not sit down to watch it again.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

No robots or tentacles of any kind in Totoro, promise!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well, I kindof agree. I mean, I love Disney. Something like The Little Mermaid, which has a wonderful story, really hits home with me. And I'd say that's due in some part to the animation. I'm not sure I'd like it as much if it were live action. But who knows? I love The Princess Bride, and that's a live action fairy tale. Maybe it's the songs that put Disney over the top for me. All I know is that Japanimation does not have the same effect on me as Disney at all. Maybe it *is* the stories. There seem to be a lot of robots and tentacles and stuff in anime; lots of mecha. Hell, I don't like the Hollywood Transformers movies either; there's no way I'm going to like something like Akira. Cowboy Bebop was better, because it focused heavily on the people (sortof like Firefly), rather than being all techno. But I'd still not sit down to watch it again.
    Maybe you're watching the wrong types of Japanese animation? I always thought of Miyazaki as being similar to Disney. Studio Ghibli has a lot of great films as well. But a lot of these films seem to have a much deeper impact on me. Less fairytale like, and more heart and emotion to them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast