Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: The Last of Us on HBO

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Will there be another season?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    1000000%
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    1000000%
    Announced, or you're just that confident?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1000000%
    both lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1000000%
    a second season was confirmed by HBO back at the tail-end of January

The Last of Us on Twitter

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Getting some pizza and wings for tonight's finale!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved the first season! But I did think it was funny in last night's finale that the road Joel was driving on, after 20+ years of neglect, was better than most of the roads here in Dallas.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

From what I've heard about the finale, I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. It sounds like they really limited Joel's rampage, which goes along with the rest of the series which has gone out of his way to make Joel a far more redeemable character which, if you ask me, ruins the end of the story. Maybe they still found a way to pull it off, but like the rest of the series (that I've seen so far, anyways) I won't be surprised if they pussyfooted around the harsh violence this ending needs.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Whoever told you that is wrong. Joel is even more ruthless in the TV show. He seems so... detached when he's going full Rambo.

When you play the game, there's a sense of just-comeuppance when you finally get to the end as you - the player - battles your way through 20 armed guards.

That 'cushion' is not there in the TV show. It's Pedro Pascal with violent, determined eyes mowing people down without a shred of sympathy.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Whoever told you that is wrong. Joel is even more ruthless in the TV show. He seems so... detached when he's going full Rambo.

When you play the game, there's a sense of just-comeuppance when you finally get to the end as you - the player - battles your way through 20 armed guards.

That 'cushion' is not there in the TV show. It's Pedro Pascal with violent, determined eyes mowing people down without a shred of sympathy.

I only heard that he only killed the one surgeon and not much else, but comments I read people seemed a little disappointed on that front. Glad to hear they might not have gotten gun shy for the ending.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    From what I've heard about the finale, I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. It sounds like they really limited Joel's rampage, which goes along with the rest of the series which has gone out of his way to make Joel a far more redeemable character which, if you ask me, ruins the end of the story. Maybe they still found a way to pull it off, but like the rest of the series (that I've seen so far, anyways) I won't be surprised if they pussyfooted around the harsh violence this ending needs.
    Yeah watch it. It was amazing.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't even following the series, but caught the last episode as my wife was watching it and I thought it was pretty ballsy.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've finally finished the season off and a lot of my key complaints about the series remain...namely the severe lack of infected. Seriously. Episodes 6-9 there were a grand total of TWO infected, and both were in flashbacks. Not only does it take away from the fact this is as much a zombie horror story as it is a drama, but it devalues the entire core plot: the cure. Why would anyone who hasn't played the game feel a cure is even crucial at this point? Joel and Ellie are literally wandering around cities joking around without a care in the world. Why is a cure even needed? There are barely any infected left. It really undercuts the drama and stakes from the final episode. In the game the infected are still in every location...they are drawn into Tommy's community after a raider attack, they force Joel and David to work together to survive (and that experience adds a whole lot to their dynamic which is missing from the show), and they could be in every dark space, out in the country...they are a constant, ever present threat. In the show they are basically absent. Is the real Last of Us the few infected we met along the way?

That said, the show mostly stuck the landing. The David/Cannibal chapter and the final chapter are so crucial to the story and I was satisfied with them. I'm not a huge fan of the choice to have Joel's rampage as a montage, but it was well-executed so that's mostly a preference quibble. I just think it being a bit longer, a bit more in the moment, could've really added to the intensity of it. I think what the montage hurts for me is we only get little glimpses of how much of a badass Joel is, while at this point in the game, as the player, we've offed like 100 people at this point. If we'd really seen how badass he was in the Kansas City (Pittsburgh) episodes, I think the montage would've been more effective for me. This is similar to my infected gripe and there was just a severe lack of action/violence up until the last two episodes. I understand a game is a game and has the gameplay and TV/Film cannot replicate that gameplay (and trying would harm the adaptation) but they went so far in the other direction. The whole point of the graphic violence being more present (and the infected as well) is to illustrate how cruel and hopeless and dangerous this world is, and what it turns ordinary people into, is what makes the cure so damn important...and that's mostly missing in the adaptation. They did well in the last two episode, but why hold back on the other 7? Did they feel if they didn't hold back the violence in episodes 8/9 wouldn't be as effective?

The final scene was missing something very crucial, which is in the game when Joel tells Ellie "You have to find something to fight for" and he grabs the broken watch that Sarah bought for him and it adds so much to that final exchange. But they keep the shots in closeups. That one little action adds so much to Joel's final thoughts in the game and provides so much subtext that it not being included seems like a very poor directing/editing decision.

http://youtu.be/IOdNSgJEra0?t=520

The did a great job with all the Ellie and David stuff, even if David in the show wasn't as quietly menacing as in the game. The final showdown was executed very well and Ramsey did a great job during the cleaver scene...it must have been very physically demanding for her to do that, but it showed in the performance. We really felt her panic, exasperation, and despite the harrowing situations she had been in with Joel, it came across as the very first time where Ellie was not merely defending herself, but was infected by the sheer brutality of the world. Why did they feel the need to give David a preacher aspect? Lazy and unnecessary writing there. They didn't even DO anything with it so it was pointless...that they're survivors turned to cannibalism should be enough. Pedro did a great job with Joel animalistic side in the final two episodes. He came off as quite scary, but still...I wish we'd seen a bit more of that before this so his rampage at the end didn't come quite as out of nowhere as it does.

As I said since the first episode, the real star of this series is the production design team. The world they created looks excellent. The digital matte paintings for the wide, city shots add so much. The giraffe scene was perfectly recreated from a visual standpoint. The set designs were perfectly put together and really captured the world that nature, year by year, is reclaiming from us. The cinematography was often very beautiful, especially that montage between Tommy's town and the University of Eastern Colorado, which so well painted the romantic quality (not physical romance, obviously) of Joel and Ellie's relationship at it's most peaceful and hopeful before everything goes bad for them. There is a whole lot to appreciate in this series.

I almost forgot to mention episode 7, Left Behind. Was I the only one who felt this episode was extremely boring? I don't usually say "nothing happens" when an episode focuses on character, but the whole backstory between Ellie and Riley felt dragged out and hollow, despite the work the actors put in...I came away feeling, what actually happened? We got a very, very brief look into Ellie's life in Fedra, and then they wandered around a mall for 35ish minutes. The DLC intercuts Ellie's backstory with being in a mall in the present, looking for supplies for healing Joel. What was wrong with doing that in the show? Would it have been so bad to show Ellie's vulnerability with Joel laid out? Her desperation to keep him alive, to see parallels with losing Riley to her fear of losing Joel?

I think as a TV series, I would give this somewhere between an 8/10 or a 9/10, I guess a solid 8.5. The horrible miscasting of Melanie Lynsky takes a whole half star (or more off) because she's in two episodes and, frankly, that entire portion of the game was the worst adapted part, which makes the fact it's the only scenario in the entire game which stretches past a single episode all the more frustrating and damaging to the overall product. I imagine someone who never played the games would be kinder to those two episodes.

As an adaptation of the game, I'm afraid I have to give this a 7/10. They got the basic story right, and they definitely got the look and the performances of the core characters right. But outside of the expansion on Bill, none of the adaptation's "extras" like the situation in Kansas City and Lynsky, to David being a preacher, to the infected all being connected to the cordyceps fungus underground. All of these additions felt either pointless, misguided, or underutilized. I loved the idea of infected being connected...killing a single infected then can create a more dangerous situation, but outside of the ending to the 2nd episode with Tess, I don't believe this was ever used again, and I mean, COME ON! That's baked in tension and danger and it's just left on the table! The areas they expanded on could've been better served helping out the biggest blunder of the adaptation: the capture the look of this world to perfection, but not the FEEL of this world. There are barely any infected. They barely have any visceral combat for survival with humans. This is supposed to be a brutal world and it just isn't. The Walking Dead in first 5 or 6 seasons achieved this is far better. Granted TLoU doesn't have the cast of characters to kill, which is why it was necessary for Joel/Ellie to do the killing, either with The Infected for against people. The things missing from the game (the infected, the action, the violence, the feeling of rarely feeling safe) are what held this show back from a 9 or a 10 for me, and since they're so crucial to the game, they affect my rating as an adaptation more than my rating as it plays out as a series.

I wrote a lot. Damn.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah kidding. I'll read it later today. Think my brain is fried rn.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wrote a lot. Damn.

Yes. At ~1,400 words I began to fall asleep.

Reads like an opening to a senior thesis.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I wrote a lot. Damn.

Yes. At ~1,400 words I began to fall asleep.

Reads like an opening to a senior thesis.

That's what happens when you watch 4 episodes in like a 30 hour span. And in my defense I am in the middle of writing TWO research papers so I that must've bled over lol

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot believe you think the walking dead did anything better than Last of Us. This was a near perfect show for me…
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot believe you think the walking dead did anything better than Last of Us. This was a near perfect show for me…

Could you imagine in that first season of The Walking Dead we went 4 episodes with only 2 zombies? It took them I think 7 seasons to have an episode without a single zombie. Walking Dead also got the tension of human to human interactions much better. The S2 episode Nebraska when Rick, Hershel, and Glenn are in that bar and those two guys come in...that distrust, and that tension, the explosion of violence was masterful.

The Ellie/David meeting should have had that kind of tension, but for me it didn't. In the game Ellie's ability to trust David is immediately tested in combat with the infected and they bond; David saves Ellie's life and fights with her. After the fight, Ellie puts down the rifle. She feels safe. Until David reveals his men were the ones who had attacked them previously. The game shows us that David could have easily been a Joel figure to Ellie if they met under different circumstances. None of that is in the show. David functions very well as villain of the week, but the dynamic nature of his character was entirely stripped away because there no infected.

The Walking Dead's Nebraska bar scene leads to a shootout which draws in the Zombies, where they save Randall's life, which drives the plot and the moral dilemma for the rest of the season. And none of that was in the comics, so they had no perfectly executed original to replicate like TLoU. That is a much better use of zombies/infected to drive and enrich the narrative than anything we saw in The Last of Us. TLoU did a lot of things really, really well...using the infected to enhance and drive the storytelling sure wasn't one of them. Don't even get me started on that Dues ex Machina bloater ending in the 5th episode. Again....extremely well executed. The bloater was awesome. The clicker chasing Ellie in the car was killer. But it was weak ass writing all the same. The game didn't have no dues ex machina...infected just showed up because of the gunfire and noise, just like the zombies did in TWD's Nebraska. And I'm being extra hard on the show because these where changes they didn't need to make that lessened the story..it's even more baffling when the Ellie/David meeting dialogue is essentially verbatim from the game. Why take out the infected? We didn't need a big action scene...the single clicker would've been enough.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

@Matt - too lazy to reply to everything, but essentially, I agree with what you typed up there.

I made the Walking Dead comparison as well a page or 2 back; that show did a much better job of capturing the dangers of day-to-day living.

Regarding David - they made him a preacher because TV audiences have to be spoon fed. With the constraints of TV time you need a way to quickly let the audiences know that this is a man whom the flock will follow blindly, without asking questions (or at least, not many). Nothing encapsulates and gets the point across quicker than it being a charismatic man of faith.

Agreed on not enough infected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6