7 24.14%
  • Clash of the Titans

12 41.38%
  • The Little Mermaid

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 4 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 4 of 32

During the second round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Die Hard (1988)
    Directed by John McTiernan

Watch Trailer

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
    Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Watch Trailer

Splash (1984)
    Directed by Ron Howard

Watch Trailer

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)
    Directed by Joe Johnston

Watch Trailer

Clash of the Titans (1981)
    Directed by Desmond Davis

Watch Trailer

The Little Mermaid (1989)
    Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Die Hard
    Clash Of The Titans
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How the hell did Roger Rabbit have more votes than Die Hard?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The better question is why does The Little Mermaid only have five votes?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    How the hell did Roger Rabbit have more votes than Die Hard?
    Roger Rabbit is a great movie. It combined live action with animation. It wasn't the first to do it, but it definitely had an impact on films to come.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I'm sad there isnt more love for Clash of the Titans. Its a classic must-watch film for fantasy fans.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    I'm sad there isnt more love for Clash of the Titans. Its a classic must-watch film for fantasy fans.
    It's a favorite and I voted for it.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The better question is why does The Little Mermaid only have five votes?
    I still don't understand that. The Little Mermaid has pound for pound the best Disney songs of any of their animated films. Under the Sea, Kiss the Girl, Poor Unfortunate Souls, and one of the greatest songs of all-time, Part of your World.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Little Mermaid isn't very good, songs or not. The final battle is pretty great. It sends some pretty messed up messages to little girls who should be beautiful, find a rich, powerful man; it's better for women to be seen than heard; `being who you are isn't good enough and you'll never be happy unless you can magically transform yourself; and, most importantly, that your selfishness will be eternally rewarded if you're an attractive, rich princess despite the fact your selfish actions got all your people enslaved. That's classic Disney morals right there! The original story is much better than this whitewashed bullcrap Disney version.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Anderson wrote the original story as a love letter to another man that had no interest in him. Not really adding to the conversation just thought it an interesting tidbit.
    Another tidbit everyone probably already knows but Ariel's design/face were based off of Alyssa Milano.
    The songs from TLM were a big inspiration for Lin-Manuel Miranda. We might never have gotten Hamilton without TLM.

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely agreed, the messaging in The Little Mermaid is not great, granted you don't have to watch it with that mindset. Still, I appreciate it for the great animation and timeless character designs and amazing score and songs. And just as a childhood favorite. Disney is working on a live-action remake, so it will be curious to see how they adjust the message in their version of the story now.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like for them to change the messaging, but they won't. It'll be a shot for shot remake like Beauty and the Beast. They know better than to change what their rabid female audience loves.

I've never liked The Little Mermaid. It had some nice animation site, but it never did it for me. Between its bad messaging, butchering a public domain story, and that it saved Disney Studios from going under, opening way for the beast Disney is now, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

I do get why people love it, especially people who were young girls when it came out. I just can't forgive the darkness this cheery, bright film brought out, ushering in the cultural domination of creative bankruptcy we live in today.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

God you are so dramatic

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    God you are so dramatic

Maybe, but my disdain for Disney runs deep. They built up their empire by stealing old stories and the myths of other cultures, and now they are able to just buy contemporary properties like Marvel and Star Wars and re-purpose them. If it wasn't for Pixar, there would be hardly anything original or thought-provoking coming out of Disney. I value originality above all else and Disney is the enemy of originality.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Little Mermaid isn't very good, songs or not. The final battle is pretty great. It sends some pretty messed up messages to little girls who should be beautiful, find a rich, powerful man; it's better for women to be seen than heard; `being who you are isn't good enough and you'll never be happy unless you can magically transform yourself; and, most importantly, that your selfishness will be eternally rewarded if you're an attractive, rich princess despite the fact your selfish actions got all your people enslaved. That's classic Disney morals right there! The original story is much better than this whitewashed bullcrap Disney version.
    I don't give a shit about all that.

It was a different time. Are we going to judge every film from the 40s and 50s for their antiquated view of female gender roles and all that shit?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

It was a different time. Are we going to judge every film from the 40s and 50s for their antiquated view of female gender roles and all that shit?
    You do have a good point there, I recently watched a video where a lawyer examined a few scenes from popular/classic films and it is rather eye-opening.

For example, the Moon Room scene from Revenge of the Nerds where the guy puts on a Darth Vader mask and has sex with the other guy's girlfriend is legally considered rape by way of misrepresentation because she thinks she's having sex with her BF.

It has to be an onward and upward thing as we go along because there are several things in some of these films that offend me but what can you do? If we start banning films, someone will always find something objectionable about one that they don't like and out it goes.

The best we can do is learn and grow (and of course, critique).

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure you'll find a litany of think pieces about how all those films are racist and sexist online.

My point isn't so much the view of gender roles, the problem is Disney's aura of their films being moralistic. I just think the messages the narrative gives unintentionally are pretty horrible when you step back and look at it, and not even in terms of hindsight. The problems I have with Little Mermaid aren't based on portrayal of any gender, but in the content of the actual narrative itself. Everything I pointed out were actual plot points.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Examining fiction - especially comedy fiction - as if it had all the logical consequences and ramifications of fact is a guaranteed way to miss the point.

In other words: if a mask in Revenge Of The Nerds = rape, we're thinking too hard.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Are we going to judge every film from the 40s and 50s for their antiquated view of female gender roles and all that shit?
    "Antiquated" is an interesting word, because of course, things from the 40s and 50s weren't antiques when they came into existence (movies reflected the world that actually existed, not the one yet to come).

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Examining fiction - especially comedy fiction - as if it had all the logical consequences and ramifications of fact is a guaranteed way to miss the point.

In other words: if a mask in Revenge Of The Nerds = rape, we're thinking too hard.

Rape by Deception
    - Rape by deception is a situation in which the perpetrator obtains the victim's agreement to engage in sexual intercourse or other sex acts, but gains it by deception or false statements or actions

Sometimes, thinking can be a good thing.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Rape by Deception
    - Rape by deception is a situation in which the perpetrator obtains the victim's agreement to engage in sexual intercourse or other sex acts, but gains it by deception or false statements or actions

Sometimes, thinking can be a good thing.
    Sometimes, but not this thinking with this movie (knowing the difference requires thought as well, but today people are quick to apply the offense filter to everything without bothering to consider whether they should).

I'm not saying RBD isn't an actual thing, just that it has no relevance when viewing the likes of Revenge Of The Nerds.

People who can laugh at cartoon characters beating the living fuck out of each other while well aware that such action doesn't fly in the real world probably get this.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Are we going to judge every film from the 40s and 50s for their antiquated view of female gender roles and all that shit?
    "Antiquated" is an interesting word, because of course, things from the 40s and 50s weren't antiques when they came into existence (movies reflected the world that actually existed, not the one yet to come).
    Exactly. They were a reflection of the times, but as things progressed, times changed, making things from the 40s and 50s outdated and old fashioned. It's not a bad thing, it's just what happens. 40 years from now, things we are doing right now will seem antiquated to people as well.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Happenstance I came across this on Facebook today

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, now I want to finally watch the movie! LOL
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Die Hard (89.66%)
    2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (72.41%)
    3. Splash (44.83%)
    4. Clash of the Titans (41.38%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Little Mermaid (34.48%)
    2. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (24.14%)

+ Reply to Thread