Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
Jean again we essentially agree, we just have our own metaphors. to you a potential saint, to me a potential bodhisattva. i like to think of roland as the bodhisattva of infinite lead. he kills, it's what he does. what he needs to do is to accept it. it's his being, and in the moments he finds himself in, it's what needs to be done. that's all that can be asked of anyone is that they live in each moment bc that's where eternity is ["beyond" time as opposed to "after" time]. i'm getting rambly, but you always seem to get it.
not as much metaphors as the angles of interpretations; could be pretty literal. The difference (Christian saint vs. bodhisattva of infinite lead) would of course explain why I want to see the personal quest of one man as finite and you as eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude
Jean, thanks for what you said. I've always thought that King has some Catholic leanings, but authorial intent is a beast that is sometimes better left alone. It seems that a lot of his religious characters are shady if they are protestant and rather virtuous if catholic. As I'm sure you are aware of, there is some really interesting dialog between Callahan and all the characters about religion; particularly between him and Jake, and him and Roland. I've always thought the scene where Jake is given last rights before storming the Dixie Pig was very potent (and touching).
that point about authorial intent is one of my idees fixes... namely, that what author intended or meant or implied doesn't matter at all, it's only what the reader has to do with that counts; so my consistently Catholic interpretation of TDT isn't something I could think he meant, but something I, as a reader, see in what he wrote - or read into what he wrote, which wouldn't change the final outcome in the least. (although I agree, King does show some sympathy for Catholics; more than for some protestant denominations anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude
I forgot one thing. Jean, while I agree to an extent about what you said concerning human agency, I do tend to see Gan as a harsh arbiter of things. I can't stop thinking about Roland crying out for mercy as he is pushed through the door at the end. While it could be argued that it is for the greater good, I still have problems with it. I really need to go to sleep. Good night folks.
Free will vs. God's will - or, in other interpretations, fate or [any modification of] ka, - is a great subject! would love to take it up with you somewhere, but surely not in this thread? Frankly, I am not sure we're still on topic...

(only one thing now: Jesus, too, prayed for the cup to be taken away from him)