Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NOMINATION 2

"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

Film: Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Director: Steven Spielberg
    Year: 1981

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Raiders seconded.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Nomination:

The Killer (1989)
    Director: John Woo

Watch Trailer

Second The Shining
    I second The Killer - great action piece!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Nomination #1:

The Killing Fields
    Director: Roland Joffe
    Year: 1984

This movie profoundly opened my eyes to the hardships of a world outside of the US. Just brilliant.

I've never heard of this movie. Just read the synopsis on IMDB.

I'm in.
    If you enjoy it, please second it. It's a top film for sure.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2

Wings of Desire
    Director: Wim Wenders
    Year: 1987

My favorite foreign film of all time. Intensely moving film about an angel that longs to be human. Give it a chance, and you will be rewarded by a wonderful cameo by Peter Falk of all people. Beautiful arthouse masterpiece.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2 - Ordinary People (1980)
    Directed by Robert Redford
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Nomination #2

Wings of Desire
    Director: Wim Wenders

My favorite foreign film of all time. Intensely moving film about an angel that longs to be human. Give it a chance, and you will be rewarded by a wonderful cameo by Peter Falk of all people. Beautiful arthouse masterpiece.
    This was going to be my next nomination....SECOND!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Nomination 2

The Thing 1982 Carpenter

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Thing.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Beat me to the thing as I was looking for something
    So I nominate The Untouchables
    Brian De Palma

Country
    Country Flag

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
    Amy Heckerling

Watch trailer:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NOMINATION 3

"Game over, man. Game over!"

Film: Aliens
    Director: James Cameron
    Year: 1986

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just looking at some of these lists reminds me how fun the movies in this decade were, maybe not a lot of masterpieces but they were fun.

I second Aliens.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Die Hard
    John McTiernan

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Die Hard, the film that set the new standard by which the every-man hero would be judged moving forward.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #3

Full Metal Jacket
    Director: Stanley Kubrik

Arguably Kubrik's greatest achievement, and one of the best war movies of all time. Here is the opening speech - just great!

Country
    Country Flag

Full Metal Jacket seconded.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Aliens second

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Die Hard, the film that set the new standard by which the every-man hero would be judged moving forward.
    I think my seconding of Die Hard was missed.

Country
    Country Flag

Nope, it's #15 on the list in the first post of this thread.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Aliens second
    I already 2nded Aliens so you can 2nd something else if you want.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will second The Empire Strikes Back (has no one really seconded it yet?) and nominate:

Beetlejuice
    Director: Tim Burton
    Release Date: 1988
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #3 - Blue Velvet (1986)
    Directed by David Lynch
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

The Bear (1988)
    Jean-Jacques Annaud

Watch trailer:

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Aliens second
    I already 2nded Aliens so you can 2nd something else if you want.
    I missed that. Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast