Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Not really big into war films. The only one I've ever really fully watched and enjoyed is Saving Private Ryan.

I've seen parts of other ones like Platoon or Apocalypse Now. I've also seen American Sniper and The Hurt Locker. Just not really a genre that I'm into.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Idk what to say to you right now IWC.

Go sit in the corner or something.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Not really big into war films. The only one I've ever really fully watched and enjoyed is Saving Private Ryan.

I've seen parts of other ones like Platoon or Apocalypse Now. I've also seen American Sniper and The Hurt Locker. Just not really a genre that I'm into.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Really? I think Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war films ever. That last scene is so haunting...
    I agree, but for me it's the film's first half that is most mesmerizing
    Spoiler:
    (the systematic breakdown that occurs during boot camp is chilling).
    What I do love about the second half is
    Spoiler:
    its immersion into a part of the Vietnam war I had never considered, as I had only previously thought about the war in terms of jungle warfare
    . And yes, the last scene is brilliant stuff.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Silverado

SILVERADO

How in god's name could I forget Silverado? It was one of my favorite films as a kid and one of my favorite westerns. I will tell you what, the lists I used to put my list together really blew. I'm once again happy to know that our list will be one of the most comprehensive lists around. Well, almost.

Would anyone have seconded Silverado?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

They made a movie about a truck?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Silverado

SILVERADO

How in god's name could I forget Silverado? It was one of my favorite films as a kid and one of my favorite westerns. I will tell you what, the lists I used to put my list together really blew. I'm once again happy to know that our list will be one of the most comprehensive lists around. Well, almost.

Would anyone have seconded Silverado?
    One of my favorites as well. Easily, I would have seconded it. Interesting movie did-bit. Kevin Costner was supposed to be in Lawrence Kasden's The Big Chill, but was edited out entirely except for being
    Spoiler:
    the dead body in the opening sequence - yes, Costner was the friend that killed himself.
    So, Lawrence Kasden felt really bad about it and he cast Costner in Silverado as payback to make up for it.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? I think Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war films ever. That last scene is so haunting...
    I agree.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just in time for the start of the tournament, I have finished the actor and actress analysis for the tournament. Here is the link (click the actors in the tournamnet tab): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

There were some interesting discoveries here. First, the winner of the most films in the tournament was Harrison Ford with 8. John Candy, who had a great decade also placed 8 films, but a few of those were cameos. The other two winners of the decade were Robert De Niro and Tom Cruise who each have 7 films in the tournament.

Not that there was ever any doubt, but our 3 decade tournament ('80s, '90s, 2000s) have proven that Cruise and De Niro are two of the very best stars Hollywood has ever had to offer. Both actors have a whopping 20 films in our tournament spanning 3 decades. Arnold, Bill Murray and Bill Paxton all have 6 films in the tournament, a strong showing. I was surprised to see John Turturro have 5 films in the tournament.

One of the other really interesting facts was to see how many actors were big in '80s and then seemingly disappeared. Chevy Chase, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy and Judge Reinhold were on fire in the '80s, but didn't have a lot of substance to offer in terms of the other decades.

A few other tidbits: While doing my research, it was interesting to see how many films Wilem Dafoe (5) had placed in the tournament for the '80s. He really has had a very underrated career. A few other character actors stood out as well. Harry Dean Stanton placed 6 films and I thought it was cool to see the now familiar name of Jonathan Banks pop up so many times. Before he made a name for himself on Breaking Bad, Banks was working his as off on the big screen and TV.

We have a nice cross section going of the last 3 decades. I hope you enjoy looking through the list and maybe find an actor in a film that you weren't aware of. Feel free to add to the list. It's certainly not perfect.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you as always for your great work! Those are all indeed interesting points. I was also surprised to see Joan Cusack with 5 and Carrie Fisher with 6.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you as always for your great work! Those are all indeed interesting points. I was also surprised to see Joan Cusack with 5 and Carrie Fisher with 6.
    You're welcome as always! Good catches there. I was impressed by both of those as well. John Cusack also had a good decade with 5.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Cusack siblings are in the same amount of movies because they are always in the same movies. It must be written into their contracts that they are a package deal.

Thanks for all the hard work Mae and Still Servant.

FYI, just was looking at that spreadsheet and I was the one to nominated Stand By Me not TDog. I would edit it but I can't from my phone. Not that it really matters anyway...

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

So, has anyone been catching up with any of the nominees they haven't seen?

I figure if there are movies out there that are almost 40 years old and I haven't seen them yet, I'm probably never going to.

Most of the movies I haven't seen I at least have some knowledge of. I know the basic plot or I've seen bits and pieces of them.
    So last night I actually did happen to watch one of the nominated movies that I hadn't fully watched previously. Full Metal Jacket. It was ok.

I had watched about half of it before. The first half where they are in boot camp. That was probably the best part of the movie. Mostly due to R. Lee Ermey. Once they leave boot camp and actually get to Vietnam, it was kinda boring.
    Kubrick is my second favorite director and I adore all of his work, except for that movie. I feel almost entirely the same way that you do about it. The first half was well done and engrossing but when the narrative changes, I completely lost interest. I love war films BTW and just saw 1917 today.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    The Cusack siblings are in the same amount of movies because they are always in the same movies. It must be written into their contracts that they are a package deal.
    I had to look it up because I couldn't think of a single movie that they had acted together in. Turns out they have been in 10 movies together. The only ones I'm all that familiar with are 16 Candles, Say Anything and High Fidelity.

Although I can name a ton of movies where only one of them is in it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK that was an exaggeration but I said it because I can't think of a single movie I have seen with Joan Cusack that didn't have John Cusack. Of course there are movies I have seen with him but not her, like 1408. I just didn't realize that she was in a lot of stuff without him until I just looked on IMDB. Seems she was a voice actor in a lot of cartoons and in a bunch of movies I have never watched.

School of Rock and The Perks of Being a Wallflower are two of my favorite movies. And of course Toy Story came immediately to mind.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post

Thanks for all the hard work Mae and Still Servant.

FYI, just was looking at that spreadsheet and I was the one to nominated Stand By Me not TDog. I would edit it but I can't from my phone. Not that it really matters anyway...
    You're welcome and it does matter!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34