Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite villain?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flagg (and his great deal of personalities)

39 41.94%
  • Blaine

13 13.98%
  • Gasher

3 3.23%
  • Tick-Tock Man

3 3.23%
  • Crimson King

3 3.23%
  • Mordred

6 6.45%
  • Rhea

4 4.30%
  • The Big Coffin Hunters

12 12.90%
  • Dandelo

3 3.23%
  • Someone else...

7 7.53%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Favourite DT Villain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Mordred, i actually liked the little blighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Mordred, i actually liked the little blighter
    Oh nice! There aren't many people out there who like him. Why do you like him?
    oh my lord letti i am so sorry - i missed this question.

so some time later here is my answer....

i think modred had honour and goodness in his heart at the start. if roland had reached out to him the end of the story may well have been different. his jealousy of jake and the tet showed that he wanted to be part of the group which means that he had the capability for good. it wouldn't have been an easy to gain his trust - but when they did the help and assistance he could have brought would have been invaluable

the decisions made by both of his fathers put him on a path that i believe ultimatley he did not have to take.

i know a lot of people will argue this with me and say he was born to be evil and ka played a part, but i just felt really really sorry for him when he was trailing the tet, so for something to make me want to reach out and adopt him - that something made me like him.

hey, i adopted two feral kittens that spat, scratched and hated the whole wide world - would you say it was that much different? mordred was still a baby after all
    I felt quite the same way. However I never felt like adopting him.

Anyway I don't think he would have been able to become good or part of the White. Not even if Roland or anyone else had tried to help him. Mordred had great power but his soul was weak. Just look at all of those feelings he had: jealousy, hatred. To be able to change as much as he should have changed to become something better you need a really strong soul and spirit.

Roland would have understood.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    Blaine for me too.
    Yar. Blaine.

Traveler Darkle and Tinct is on a distinguished road Darkle and Tinct's Avatar

Wow, I'm posting way after everyone else. I can't even guarantee if people will read this, cry your pardon.
    My personal favorite villain is John Farson, even though he hasn't been featured as extensively as, say, Flagg/Walter/Marten or the Crimson King. To me, Farson represents the opposite of the gunslinger/Mid-World ideal: he is undermining the very heart of the world, seeking to overthrow its traditions, its identity. He is chaos embodied -- he is immediate, he is violent, and he is aggressive. Plus, he's responsible for the destruction of Roland's original ka-tet.
    On a side note: I also love that his nickname is "the Good Man." Something about the irony in that makes me like him even more.

Gunslinger Apprentice Riostar is on a distinguished road Riostar's Avatar

I think I would have a hard time picking one. There are a couple on this list that I like for different reasons.

Traveler Charyou Tree is on a distinguished road

I don't know why really, but I've always loved Jonas as a villain. He was such a knob, I wanted to shoot him myself...DAMN YOU ROLAND!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't pick.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Big Coffin Hunters (mainly Jonas, of course). I have a hard time understanding exactly why I chose them - somehow it turned out to be more difficult to pick a fav villain than a fav ka-tet member; but one of the reasons is that they seemed not just believable but lifelike to me.
    I do not exactly expect coming across a crazy mono at any point in my life, or any sorcerers or witches. Now, a human like any of those three...

All that said, though, I'd still want more backstory on Farson above all.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so happy I found this post. I LOVE villains, in fact, in most instances I like the villains more than the heroes (such as Lost). The one thing that bothers me in DT is that they don't spend too much time on any one villain. And... I think the robot from WoC should be on the list.

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

I voted for Blaine. He was very creepy because of his earlier forshadowing, and in one of the illustrations there is a very creepy picture of a smiling choo-choo with the crying children. He came the closest to killing the entire ka tet than any other villain.

Along the Path of the Beam HellBeast is on a distinguished road HellBeast's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 19eye-rosecrow-gun View Post
    I voted for Blaine. He was very creepy because of his earlier forshadowing, and in one of the illustrations there is a very creepy picture of a smiling choo-choo with the crying children. He came the closest to killing the entire ka tet than any other villain.
    For this reason he was the 'best' because the whole point of a villain is to stop the heroes, and he came closest. When I read the DT books first, I bought the first 4 when I was told by a buddy to get them, didn't know there was going to be 7, and with the Blaine stuff I was convinced at least half the ka-tet were gonna die lol

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HellBeast View Post
    For this reason he was the 'best' because the whole point of a villain is to stop the heroes, and he came closest. ...
    Well, he blew it by letting his chance slip away due to being so mental. Maybe the point of a villian is serving as a bad example for the audience. Still, if what you're saying is that he worked best in presenting an interesting obstacle to the protagonists, then I'm totally with you: That's basically why I voted Blaine myself.

Along the Path of the Beam Susan Delgado is on a distinguished road Susan Delgado's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

voted Rhea. not sure anymore who Dandelo is
    From this you'll recognize me;

Along the Path of the Beam a fan is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

flagg by far he created who roland and the ka-tet are
    "First comes the smiles, then lies. last is gunfire"
    - Roland Deschain, of Gilead

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Blaine. He was so fun to read about and I love how he'd threaten the ka-tet one minute and be offering Edith Bunker sex up to them the next. Also his sense of humor was hilarious, if a little weird. Gotta love AI that calls you PARD'NER and LITTLE TRAILHAND
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

King should make a book about the Crimson King. He is supposed to be a huge player in the DT, but we don't really know too much about him.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Delgado View Post
    voted Rhea. not sure anymore who Dandelo is
    Oh girl.. I know you are damn busy but you definitely need a good reread.

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    King should make a book about the Crimson King. He is supposed to be a huge player in the DT, but we don't really know too much about him.
    That's what I like most about him. We all can have our own CK in our head.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    I'm surprised that the CK has gotten no votes. Guess I'm the only fan. I also love Richard Patrick Sayre, my second favorite villain. Walter is my third.
    You know, one of my favorite bands is Filter. Richard Patrick rocks!

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted Mordred.

IMO there is three essential qualities to make a good villain.
    He must be threatening, strong, and fearsome.
    He must be somehow clever, either it's animal and instinctive slyness or quick-thinking and complex strategy.
    He musn't be deeply and truely evil, because I think there is no such thing as 100% evil.

Of course, all these three qualities can be found in many DT villains, but I had to choose one and I think Mordred fit them all very well.

From the first lines, I loved Mordred. I think the whole idea of the son that comes to life to eliminate his father pleases me. I also like his resemblance to Roland and the fact that he could possibly match his fighting skills.

After his birth (for I really disliked the whole pregnancy part) I immediatly empathized with baby Mordred. I loved how he had to learn all by himself, how he had to compose with being a weak human child or a strong yet energy-greedy spider. I liked his somehow mature mind stuck in his the two bodies that don't satisfy him completely on either side. He is strong, but so fragile in the same time. As for his thoughts, to me it's obvious that beside his hate, anger and greed, he only whishes to be accepted and loved. He dismissed the idea for his own sake. He would have died in Fedic thinking he should be loved. He would have died of misery no doubt. Has he been brave enough to go to Roland, they'd have probably shot him straight away. On the love hand, he'd have been the loser in anyway.

What choice is left then? We see it well enough. The only thing that makes him "happy" is to eat. It's also his main obsession, like any other living being he must fight for his survival. The fulfilment of his needs is the only source of pleasure for him. Just like a baby breastfed is the happiest creature on earth, I can't blame Mordred for it.

I found him heartbreaking in his misery, and as said before, his intense jealousy shows that deeply inside him he's just a lost kid who've come to hate in order to live. The scene where he tries to suck his own blood to find again the only confort he can rely to, is just heartbreaking.

But he remains a villain, for that given the chance he'd probably have killed Jake, Eddie and Susannah in order to reach Roland, but more likely to see him suffer.

And I thought he would at least try, but as many said before, Mordred turned out to be not only pathetic (which he was since the very beginning) but also weak, useless, desaponting.

I hope this makes sense...

PS: I really wanted to vote for Blaine too, my second favorite villain.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted "Other" because one of my all time favorites is that sick Bastard from "Black House" and not Mr. Munshun. Alas, my age addled brain fails me now to remember his name (and BH is one of my King Favs), but someone help me out? After him, CK & Pennywise!!

He he, time for a re-read? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Merlin, it's Favorite DT Villain, not Favorite Villain...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Merlin, it's Favorite DT Villain, not Favorite Villain...
    Oops, sorry nevermind!!!! Then again, BH is a "Related" DT story can I get a little lattitude? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

absolutely

but if you suddenly want to change your vote, all you have to do is to ask bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I voted "Other" because one of my all time favorites is that sick Bastard from "Black House" and not Mr. Munshun. Alas, my age addled brain fails me now to remember his name (and BH is one of my King Favs), but someone help me out? After him, CK & Pennywise!!

He he, time for a re-read? LOL
    charles burnside was the old man's name. he was truly a twisted character, i have to agree. just finished BH, awesome story.

i suppose you could also argue that Dandelo came closest, since it took the intervention of the author himself to stop it from happening (deus ex machina).

i personally voted Flagg. I really liked Jonas and the Big Coffin Hunters, and I also really liked Blaine. But Flagg is just such an enduring character, I had to go with him.
    Time is a face on the water.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5