Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 105 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

"Go then. There are other authors than King".

I know, I know... not really a nice and concise name for a forum but that was the first thought that popped in my head when the subject of a new subforum came up.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really like Michaël's "Go then. There are other authors than King", but I suppose that might just be a bit long.

Edit: He beat me to it.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Or maybe just use the thread name and call it "Other Authors You Collect"? A bit on the safe and boring side maybe, but...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If we do the subforum, it is important we distinguish that the focus is on the collector's perspective, as we have another forum that focuses on other authors' writing.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

What is going to happen to this thread now that the new subforum is in place? I imagine that it is still useful for news and discussion about authors that don't need a dedicated thread, but maybe it should be moved to the new subforum as well? Just my opinion, of course. And will the Joe Hill thread be moved, too?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, it makes sense to move both this thread and the Joe Hill thread to the new subforum.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Ben,

If Summer of Night, and Salem's Lot are among your Top 5- well, you've got great taste, as they are indeed in mine as well. Would you mind sharing the other 3? If you're anything like me, I have a "Top 5" of about 10 different revolving books, depending on when you ask me, but Salem's Lot is ALWAYS there. As is Dracula.

Ron
    Ron,

'Salem's Lot & Second Coming are 1A & 1B and that will never change! The rest of my top 5 are:
    The Dead Zone-SK
    Summer Of Night-Dan Simmons
    Semi-Tough-Dan Jenkins
    Rookie- Jerry Jenkins

A quick note on SON. I left Dan Simmons a message on his forum about possibly adding the Banished Dreams material into the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night. He responded back and indicated that he liked the idea but it is too late for the Thomas Dunne re-issue. I forwarded the response to Bill at Sub Press encouraging him to touch base with Dan about doing a fully restored limited edition of SON. Since they have done several Simmons limiteds I fgured it has a chance. We'll see.
    Ben,

Well, I'm glad someone's on this. It's an important book, and if we get a nice Subpress limited out of it- I'll indeed thank you. Good idea about including Banished Dreams! Yeah, that has to be in there! I'd almost forgotten about that little chapbook that was trading for $300 at one point many years ago. I'd love to see a larger trim size, fully illustrated SON. Hope it happens!

Ron
    Ron,

Through communications on the Simmons forum about the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night it was learned that Mr.Simmons' childhood home (his house and hometown were models for Elm Haven in the story) is going to be razed during construction for a new high school. To commemorate it looks like Dan will be doing a SON book signing in August on the front porch of his old house followed by a tour of the town landmarks from the SON. One thing I really like about the Simmons forum is that he frequently participates in the conversations; that is how the booksigning/tour idea came about. Should be an interesting event.

BM

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What an awesome idea!

Are you attending, Ben?

Sadly the forum has been offline for a while now. Or does it has another address now (I'm talking about the one present in his website).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The forum is there at http://forum.dansimmons.com/ubbthreads/ . I got an error on the first visit, but a refresh loaded it.

Hunter

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    What an awesome idea!

Are you attending, Ben?

Sadly the forum has been offline for a while now. Or does it has another address now (I'm talking about the one present in his website).

Ari,

I plan to attend although a date hasn't been finalized. Likely August 13.

BM

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Ben,

Thanks for the info! I had given up on the Simmons forum awhile ago as I thought it went dormant- until I just tried Hunter's refresh suggestion (thanks, Hunter!), and just read that section with great interest. Wow. What an event that would be!

Ron

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be nice to have Dan's own topic about his S/L editions.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Ben,

Thanks for the info! I had given up on the Simmons forum awhile ago as I thought it went dormant- until I just tried Hunter's refresh suggestion (thanks, Hunter!), and just read that section with great interest. Wow. What an event that would be!

Ron
    If it happens it should be a good time. I found the exchanges at the Simmons forum between Dan and and an individual named Kevin (it turns out he is one of Dan's Elm Haven childhood friends that the Kevin Grumbacher character is based upon) to be interesting. The possibility of a reunion with some or all of the guys featured in the story along with the book signing could make it a very unique event.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140911669/

Very nice, but I like my set better. I'll have to remember to take and post some pics.
    Which set is that? I'd love to see it. This is supposedly a very good translation, brand new.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if there are William Ollie fans on here (I am) but The lord of the mountain is at 20% from Dark Regions. Use this code at checkout: LOTM20

I snagged a lettered for $80 and they also have a free trade paperback promotion for first time buyers.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

Very nice, but I like my set better. I'll have to remember to take and post some pics.
    Which set is that? I'd love to see it. This is supposedly a very good translation, brand new.
    Mine is a 3 volume edition translated by Burton. I'll try to get pics soon.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine is a 3 volume edition translated by Burton. I'll try to get pics soon.
    Here it is.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

They look great Brice

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, my friend! They were much more in my budget than the above set (which looks really nice) also. I paid about $8 or $9 for them at a used book store. The only thing is they don't have the slipcases.

If you rescue me

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a bargain to me!

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I meant to post this up a while ago and forgot! Tree Of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer, published by Visual Editions.
    What Foer did was to take his favourite book, Street Of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz, remove large portions of the original text to create an original story of his own with the remaining words. Visual Edition though, instead of just printing the new story, printed the original novel and die-cut out the unwanted words: that's 128 pages, each page a completely different die-cut.
    It was first published in November 2010 and already on it's third print run. The publishers were completely taken by surprise by it's success and the first print run wasn't very large. 1st/1st editions from November 2010 which originally cost $40 are already going for anything from $215 - $300.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats a very interesting idea!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Painstaking, but cool.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's crazy cool!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 105 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 ... LastLast